Buying a 60s GF flat ideas for heating

2»

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 May 2018 at 3:27PM
    I'd probably bang underfloor heating throughout, an electric shower and an instant hot water unit on the wall of the kitchen (or, if you're posh, one of those instant hot water taps at exhorbitant prices)..... in the bathroom I'd "not worry" that I could only get cold water in the tap, to be honest - but "it's just me" so I'm fine with that - always seems a waste in any case to wait for hot water to pipe through .... or you could bang another "instant hot water tank" on the wall there.

I lived in a studio with separate kitchen and separate shower room, for over 2 years. It had an immersion tank, I never used it once, didn't see the point of heating "all that water" to do a spot of washing up (I boiled a kettle when needed). It had an electric shower... and for heating I just used a small fan heater when it got super cold as I didn't like the look of the storage heaters (original 1970s ones). I lived....
  • This is MSE. An off grid has a simple 30%+ more expensive plus maintenance and rewire than NS maintenance free heat & water and no electricians costs. A 9kW mains shower and and oversupply of 30% heat storage in the living area only will give a comfort level whilst the money saved would go better in glazing [walls & roof permissions] etc .

- wet electric is a crazy idea
    - panel is a crazy idea
    - NSH [existing wiring and CU] is the only short/medium/long term economic option
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,100 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Re your budget ?

Fischer heaters £500 each to start with - also read the comments on this forum.

Is your flat leasehold ? If so you will need agreement of the freeholder.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 19 May 2018 at 5:26PM
    Here are my comments
    robbrown92 wrote: »
    Hi all, i have been trawling the internet looking for options. Basic run down is i am buying a one bedroom ground floor maisonette. going to be gutted pretty much, carpet throughout, bathroom kitchen and paint.

- There is NO GAS SUPPLY at all.
    - Currently fitted with NSH that are as old as the flat most likely.

I am planning to install underfloor heating (electric) into the bathroom and kitchen under tiles as neither is heated currently and as the floor is coming up it made sense to do it.

what sort of floors have you got and what are you going to replace them with. electric heating mats are expensive to run and will usually use peak rate leccy unless embedded in concrete and used like storage heaters with off-peak electricity. Whatever you use you need to ensure that they are insulated underneath to avoid wasting heat downwards into the ground or underfloor void.

The issue i have is heating the bedroom 4m x 3m and the living room 4.7m x 3.3m and also heating the water.

Most people only need to heat the bedroom for a short while when getting up and going to bed so a fan heater would do the job. Although a panel rad on a timeswitch might look nicer but would still use peak rate electricity. You could use an electric blanket if the room is really cold

Currently there is an immersion tank fitted and it is also very old and takes up a LOT of potential kitchen real estate.

Heating your hot water overnight using off-peak leccy is the cheapest way to do it. Using a flowboiler is OK for small volumes but uses peak rate electricity when in operation. You could use a kettle for washing up and an electric shower in the bathroom

I see it i have a few options though not sure which is best.

-Install an electric boiler and run wet radiators in the bedroom,living room and hall. This would also supply hot water to the taps/bath. i could also get rid of the large tank and just have the boiler hidden in a cupboard.

An electric boiler is probably the most expensive way to heat your place as it will use peak rate leccy for both heating and hot water. It will also involve a lot of plumbing to locate it and connect it to the radiators and hot water taps

-Modern storage heaters,,, i am out of the house from 06:30 until 18:30 monday to friday so feel that nsh would waste all that heat in an empty flat.

Modern storage heaters would store most of the heat during the night using off-peak electricity and being more efficient than the older ones would still retain enough heat to keep the place warm in the evenings as well. Any other form of on-demand heating would use peak rate elctricity so you'd probably be better off on a single rate tariff if you are using most of your energy during peak times and can't benefit from the off-peak periods.

-Electric economic radiators perhaps by fischer

Please dont even consider these - extremely expensive to buy and even more expensive to run as they still use peak rate leccy. You wont get much if any change out of £500 each for them and you'll still get the same amount of heat as a £20 oil filled rad. Panel rads or even convectors will give the same amount of heat.

-Infrared electric heaters

these heat stuff that they are pointed at, so although you might feel warm at the front you'll be cold at the back (think of a coal fire)

Im not looking to spend more than ideally around £1500.

The cheapest option would be to replace your existing storage heaters and possibly the hot water tank. Anything else will either involve plumbing or rewiring. Even installing underfloor heating wont be everso cheap if it's being done properly

Wondering what people recommend, yes i know buying a little oil heater for £20 will do but that is not the finish i am looking for.

I'd guess that most people would go for NSH as probably the cheapest way to do it - especially as the place is already wired for them. Doing anything else might involve some rewiring and it's highly unlikely that you'd get a wet system for £1500
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Thanks, really helpful reply.

The UFH mats will be laid in a screed and tiled over with insulation underneath so should be fine.

Only worry i have is that i have read that the economy 7 tarriff may not be around for much longer as more power stations shut down there is less of a surplus and as such energy companies could just charge more?
  • robbrown92 wrote: »
    Thanks, really helpful reply.

The UFH mats will be laid in a screed and tiled over with insulation underneath so should be fine.

Only worry i have is that i have read that the economy 7 tarriff may not be around for much longer as more power stations shut down there is less of a surplus and as such energy companies could just charge more?

I've been hearing that one for about 50 years. As of 31st December 2016, in Great Britain, there were 4.4 million domestic time of use tariffs of which around 3.1 million domestic customers on E7/10 tariffs and of those about 500,000 non-domestic are [domestic households] profile 4.

TOU will mean changes, but only when SMETS work properly. Switching off 4+ million people on E7/10 in the UK ? - yeh no chance in mine or several lifetimes.

BEIS
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I don't think they'll switch off Economy 7. One thing I have noticed is the night rate cost increasing faster than the day rate. Yesterday I received a price increase notice from SSE for the supply for my rental flat I am presently renovating. (I have not bothered switching, as will not be responsible for the bill long enough to make it worthwhile.)

The day rate just increased by 3% and the night rate by 16%! The night rate is now more than half of the day rate cost, which I have never known before.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Your £1,500 budget is probably not enough fr what I would suggest which is new storage heaters and a new immersion heater which are likely to be more efficient that the old ones and will therefore be cheaper to run. An electric shower could be fitted above the bath relatively cheaply.

I don't have heating in the kitchen either except for a Dimplex hot air wall heater to cope with emergencies. What I have is a stove-top kettle which is very efficient heating my cold kitchen in the morning as well as providing me with a hot cup of tea.

Consider fitting gas but the cost will depend on how far away the main is. If your neighbours have gas the main is likely to be very close. Further, going way beyond your budget, fit a gas combi boiler.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure