Recruitment

Hi all, hope somebody can give me some advice.

The company I work for recently posted a vacancy on the internal vacancy recruitment board. I applied for this position and was unsuccessful. During the interview I asked what area the role was for but was told that it was not relevant. I explained that I felt it was because different areas would require offering skill sets and approach and had I been successful on a 2nd interview this would have enabled me to showcase why I get I was a suitable candidate for the role.

A couple of weeks ago I then find out by email that there is not. 1 new starter for the role but in fact 3, 1 for each area. Is this a fair and legal process as I feel the recruitment was not transparent as only 1 vacancy was ever listed.

When I questioned why there were now 3 new starters I was told oh it was a last minute decision. Frankly I don’t believe this as the roles are paying between 40-50k so not something 8 think would have been last minute.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tiggy

Comments

• ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Yes, it is legal, so my advice is to get over the rejection and move on.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Tiggy14 wrote: »
    Hi all, hope somebody can give me some advice.

The company I work for recently posted a vacancy on the internal vacancy recruitment board. I applied for this position and was unsuccessful. During the interview I asked what area the role was for but was told that it was not relevant. I explained that I felt it was because different areas would require offering skill sets and approach and had I been successful on a 2nd interview this would have enabled me to showcase why I get I was a suitable candidate for the role.

A couple of weeks ago I then find out by email that there is not. 1 new starter for the role but in fact 3, 1 for each area. Is this a fair and legal process as I feel the recruitment was not transparent as only 1 vacancy was ever listed.

When I questioned why there were now 3 new starters I was told oh it was a last minute decision. Frankly I don’t believe this as the roles are paying between 40-50k so not something 8 think would have been last minute.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Tiggy
    Think you're mad (and unlikely to qualify for a £50k job) if you think you can sue your employer for not holding your hand through an interview
  • Tiggy14
    Tiggy14 Posts: 7 Forumite
    I have since found a new position and currently working notice period anyway, no it’s not quite a 50k job but not far off :)
  • Comms69
    All that in 1hr and 12 mins....
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Tiggy14 wrote: »
    I have since found a new position and currently working notice period anyway, no it’s not quite a 50k job but not far off :)

Yet you still wanted to know whether your old company acted legally...

What advice would you possibly need now you have this sparkly new job?
  • What advice do you want, then?

EDIT: Apologies to marliepanda; said the same thing slightly later!
  • Detroit
    Detroit Posts: 790 Forumite
    I don't see how it's any less fair to candidates if they believe there is one job when there are in fact three. How would they suffer detriment from three people being selected rather than one? Surely it improves the odds?

As for the interview, it is not unusual to conduct a more generic interview that tests core skills and competences then place the successful candidates where the employer feels they would be the best fit.

Unless you have a protected characteristic and have genuine reason to believe you have been discriminated against in the process there is no come back.

Put your hands up.
  • Comms69
    Detroit wrote: »
    I don't see how it's any less fair to candidates if they believe there is one job when there are in fact three. How would they suffer detriment from three people being selected rather than one? Surely it improves the odds?

As for the interview, it is not unusual to conduct a more generic interview that tests core skills and competences then place the successful candidates where the employer feels they would be the best fit.

Unless you have a protected characteristic and have genuine reason to believe you have been discriminated against in the process there is no come back.
    Sorry just to be clear we all have protected characteristics.

Equality act applies to everyone not minorities only
  • Detroit
    Detroit Posts: 790 Forumite
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Sorry just to be clear we all have protected characteristics.

Equality act applies to everyone not minorities only

Thank you. You're quite correct. It would have been accurate to have said unless you feel you have been discriminated against because of a protected characteristic.

Put your hands up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport