PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Wanting to sell but issues with neighbours

Comments

• They wouldn!!!8217;t be lying. They wouldn!!!8217;t have put anything down and it is in a very clear grey area as there has been no official complaint and no official record of such. What would the neighbour say exactly? !!!8216;We hated the person who lived their!!!8217;. Good luck using that to form a case.

I, personally, would get on with my life and just sell it. Even if there was some recourse, which is highly unlikely, the poster can at least move on with their life which is clearly negatively impacted right now.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    They would be lying because one of the questions is "are you aware of any disputes?" It does not even have to be one in which the seller is directly involved. If the neighbours three and four doors down are at each other's throats and can be heard from your property, you cannot say you are not aware of this.

What is a "clear grey area" when it is at home? That is an oxymoron. A situation is either clear or it is a grey area which, by definition, is not clear. Don't bother, I like being a pedant.
  • victoriavictorious
    victoriavictorious Posts: 358 Forumite
    edited 3 March 2018 at 3:02PM
    They wouldn!!!8217;t be lying. They wouldn!!!8217;t have put anything down and it is in a very clear grey area as there has been no official complaint and no official record of such. What would the neighbour say exactly? !!!8216;We hated the person who lived their!!!8217;. Good luck using that to form a case.

I, personally, would get on with my life and just sell it. Even if there was some recourse, which is highly unlikely, the poster can at least move on with their life which is clearly negatively impacted right now.

Suggest you take a look at the TA6 Law Society Property Information Form. No mention of 'official.'
    2.1 Have there been any disputes or complaints regarding this property or a property nearby? If yes give details.
    2.2 Is the seller aware of anything which might lead to a dispute about the property or a property nearby? If yes give details.

EDIT
    Crossed post with Smodlet
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Suggest you take a look at the TA6 Law Society Property Information Form. No mention of 'official.'
    2.1 Have there been any disputes or complaints regarding this property or a property nearby? If yes give details.
    2.2 Is the seller aware of anything which might lead to a dispute about the property or a property nearby? If yes give details.

EDIT
    Crossed post with Smodlet

But you said it better, thanks Victoria.
  • For both of those questions what the poster has described wouldnt qualify as worthy of the word dispute. There hasnt been a dispute over a boundary involving lawyers. There hasn’t been a dispute over an assault involving police.

You are suggesting neighbours falling out with each other over a petty squable that has required no escalation to any body of authority at all would qualify as a ‘dispute’. Goodluck with that. Do you have any idea how hard it would be raising issues with a purchase even if there were official bodies involved or even if the seller lied about pre-existing building faults?

Do you have any official guidelines that clarify your assumptions that this ‘situation’ must be declared for those questions? The buyer is buying a building and not a guarantee of quality of neighbour.
  • jamesperrett
    jamesperrett Posts: 1,009
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Just one thought about this mysterious vibration... Have they bought a new fridge or moved the existing one. Our latest fridge seems to vibrate more than our old one although it doesn't sound excessively noisy when you are in the same room.

There's some really good carpet underlay made from recycled car tyres which would be good to reduce vibrations. Ask a local carpet shop whether they might have any samples or offcuts.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    By the time the TA6 is being filled-in the buyer has viewed and must be reasonably happy with the property.

When it comes to the relevant part, I would write. "In the 5 years I of my occupation, I have had one disagreement over noise with neighbours in the flat below. I later regretted and apologised for my behaviour on that occasion."

Factual? Yes. Might give the wrong impression, but ideas in others heads aren't your problem. You wouldn't have lied.

But as I said before, one pays a solicitor to advise on matters like this. Clear whatever you write with them and don't rely on amateurs on a forum!
  • Serena2013
    Serena2013 Posts: 22
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I feel for you.

I have had horrendous neighbours both in flats and houses. It is horrible. And I believe you when you say people will make noise and disrupt you just out of spite and in addition to them just not having any class. I personally have had neighbours turning music on at 1am despite their 4 year old screaming for them to turn it off. The same people, despite having an empty driveway, insisted on parking close enough to the entrance of my driveway so that I couldn’t get in if there was also a car parked opposite (as there often was). So I feel you.

My advice? Nothing is worth your health. Put it on the market tomorrow at the market rate. Whatever happens during viewings happens. You will get more. If you don’t, drop the price.

Ignore the scaremongers saying you have to declare this as a dispute, you definitely do not. If it involves a police charge then yes. But this hasn’t been so you’re good and as you’ve declared the problem is, unjustifiably, with you and you have no reason to believe they will target the new owner.

You are starting to concentrate on the neighbours rather than living your life. You have tuned in. They are not nice people. Sell it on an no chain basis, get what you can, move on even if renting in interim or with a friend. Life will get better and you’ll be surprised how quickly you forget.

As for them? Karma will get them. That’s why there’s 3 of them in a one bedroom flat.

Goodluck

Thanks for your post. I think it's such a personal issue and only people who have been affected by noise (doesn't matter how loud it is as long as it's constant) understand how hard it can be.

You are right, it's not worth my health and yes I have tuned in so I'm spending as much time away and living my life as possible.

Thanks for understanding how difficult it is
  • Serena2013
    Forumite
    Davesnave wrote: »
    By the time the TA6 is being filled-in the buyer has viewed and must be reasonably happy with the property.

When it comes to the relevant part, I would write. "In the 5 years I of my occupation, I have had one disagreement over noise with neighbours in the flat below. I later regretted and apologised for my behaviour on that occasion."

Factual? Yes. Might give the wrong impression, but ideas in others heads aren't your problem. You wouldn't have lied.

But as I said before, one pays a solicitor to advise on matters like this. Clear whatever you write with them and don't rely on amateurs on a forum!

Yes I'll be checking with my solicitor for sure once (hopefully soon) I get to that stage.

I like your answer on what to write. Thanks it's given me another way regarding thinking what to write.
  • Serena2013
    Forumite
    Just one thought about this mysterious vibration... Have they bought a new fridge or moved the existing one. Our latest fridge seems to vibrate more than our old one although it doesn't sound excessively noisy when you are in the same room.

There's some really good carpet underlay made from recycled car tyres which would be good to reduce vibrations. Ask a local carpet shop whether they might have any samples or offcuts.

The thing is the vibration is felt in my bedroom, spare room and living room which are all near eachother so not sure whether a fridge's vibration would affect all these areas....

There is no noise just the vibration. I can't see into the downstairs flat as they always keep their blinds down or 3 quarters down. Would be good to get a glimpse of their living room to see what's causing the vibration though (if there's anything there).

I heard about truck tyres being good to limit vibration but not heard about car tyres. Thanks will check that out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure