Tesco new 1.35% rate (including bonus) Internet saver

Seems to be a fair amount of interest, as in the half hour between my application and my wife's, the account numbers have increased by over 800.

Comments

• katies_mum
    katies_mum Posts: 2,343
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Please could I ask, if they opened your account straight away or do you have to start sending ID through the post before they will open it? My daughter opened an account with Tesco about 18 months ago and there was a lot of faffing about with her having to send them ID etc. I know a lot of Banks/BS now seem to use systems where they can access your ID electronically.

Many thanks
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 8,899
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Account numbers don't increase by adding one to the last number. There are various devices such as check digits that determine what they are
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,128
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    harz99 wrote: »
    Seems to be a fair amount of interest, as in the half hour between my application and my wife's, the account numbers have increased by over 800.

yes indeed, as your thread title suggests, 1.35% is a fair amount of interest for an instant access account:D
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,128
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    katies_mum wrote: »
    Please could I ask, if they opened your account straight away or do you have to start sending ID through the post before they will open it? My daughter opened an account with Tesco about 18 months ago and there was a lot of faffing about with her having to send them ID etc. I know a lot of Banks/BS now seem to use systems where they can access your ID electronically.

Many thanks

I opened mine a couple of days ago (@1.2% obviously) and it was visible online immediately.

As your daughter is already a customer, if she applies when logged in, she should be presented with some prepopulated information and just has to tick boxes regarding residence, tax status etc. So there ought to be no requests for further ID.
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,616
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    katies_mum wrote: »

Many thanks

Sorry, been doing other things. Yes they did open straightaway, however we are both existing customers, and as such have had ID checks done by Mr T in the last 2 years or so.

I am almost sure if the applicant is not already a customer they will have to do as you describe for your daughter, which we also did when we first became Mr T bank customers.

HTH.
  • jamei305
    jamei305 Posts: 635
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I wasn't a customer and it opened instantly. However they required my signature on record sent by post, and they won't let me make any withdrawals until they receive this (other than by account closure).
  • katies_mum
    katies_mum Posts: 2,343
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thank all you for your advice
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,442
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    edited 30 November 2017 at 12:16PM
    I'm an existing Tesco customer. I have a current account, and an old savings account paying 0.4%. I opened the new account on line on Monday. Transferred money into it straight away. I now can't withdraw from the account!

Someone suggested on another thread that Tesco make you wait [STRIKE]24[/STRIKE] 48 hours before letting you withdraw money, but this time had passed, it's not in the T&Cs, it's meant to be instant access, and the money shows as available. I just can't withdraw it!

I imagine a phone call will sort this out.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 8,899
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    48 hours...
  • If you hold an existing Tesco Internet Saver, is the rate raised to match the new one ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure