Taking first UFPLS from a small Hargreaves Lansdown SIPP

Options

Comments

• Nationwide8
    Nationwide8 Posts: 362 Forumite
    Hung up my suit!
    Options
    That does look like the emergency tax code has been used on what i presume is a taxable amount of £1050.

???? and that gives a figure of £26.40 ???
  • coyrls
    coyrls Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 April 2017 at 9:08PM
    Options
    ???? and that gives a figure of £26.40 ???

Did you ask for UFPLS? In an earlier post you said
    Thanks for the above,am still waiting to see if the small withdrawal I requested last week over and above the 25% will be processed in this tax year
    Which implied that you asked for the full 25% tax free on your total plus an additional withdrawal. If this is the case, then 25% of £3,600 is £900, the full amount withdrawn was £1,400, leaving £500 to be taxed. Your £26.40 tax would be on the £500 withdrawal.
  • Nationwide8
    Hung up my suit!
    edited 3 April 2017 at 9:19PM
    Options
    coyrls wrote: »
    Did you ask for UFPLS? In an earlier post you said

Which implied that you asked for the full 25% tax free on your total plus and addittional withdrawal. If this is the case, then 25% of £3,600 is £900, the full amount withdrawn was £1,400, leaving £500 to be taxed. Your £26.40 tax would be on the £500 withdrawal.

Thank you,I requested a UFPLS withdrawal of £1400,and if that withdrawal could be completed within 16-17 tax year,that's it,i didnt specify or ask for the 25% tax free,I just assumed HL would work that out and tax me on the remainder.

So £500 = £26.40 tax ...approx 5 % ???

Edit,stab in the dark...would HL already know I was a non tax payer even though this is my first withdrawal and somehow thats why the tax is so low ????
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    Alternatively you have taken £1400 of which

£350 is tax free
    £1050 is taxable on which tax appears to have been calculated as below,

£917.40 with no tax (emergency tax code of 1100L for 2016:17 calculated for a monthly payment)
    £132 to be taxed = £26.40

The actual tax due will depend on your own personal circumstances​, basic rate payer would owe HMRC an additional £183.60
  • ffacoffipawb
    ffacoffipawb Posts: 3,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thank you,I requested a UFPLS withdrawal of £1400,and if that withdrawal could be completed within 16-17 tax year,that's it,i didnt specify or ask for the 25% tax free,I just assumed HL would work that out and tax me on the remainder.

So £500 = £26.40 tax ...approx 5 % ???

Edit,stab in the dark...would HL already know I was a non tax payer even though this is my first withdrawal and somehow thats why the tax is so low ????

OK

Tax Free Allowance = £11,000 = £916.67 per month

Tax due = ([£1,400 - £350 (tax free) ] - £916.67) * 20% = £26.67

Close enough. :)
  • faddy
    faddy Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    I could probably work this out by trawling through this thread, but how soon after opening a HL SIPP would I be able to withdraw a UPFLS allowing for forms going back and forth? Would I be able to withdraw the whole amount paid in (taxed at 15%?) before the HMRC top up arrives? I'm assuming HL wouldn't close the account knowing a top up was on its way?
  • Nationwide8
    Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Alternatively you have taken £1400 of which

£350 is tax free
    £1050 is taxable on which tax appears to have been calculated as below,

£917.40 with no tax (emergency tax code of 1100L for 2016:17 calculated for a monthly payment)
    £132 to be taxed = £26.40

The actual tax due will depend on your own personal circumstances​, basic rate payer would owe HMRC an additional £183.60

Thank you ........
  • Nationwide8
    Hung up my suit!
    Options
    OK

Tax Free Allowance = £11,000 = £916.67 per month

Tax due = ([£1,400 - £350 (tax free) ] - £916.67) * 20% = £26.67

Close enough. :)

Thank you,I think you and Dazed and Confused have explained it...

I trust HL of course to have it right but I like to understand :)

Learning curve......
  • Nationwide8
    Hung up my suit!
    edited 3 April 2017 at 10:37PM
    Options
    Hmmm just thought of something,my private pension amount monthly would take a chunk out of that monthly allowance of £917 ?? Which would leave more to be taxed on ?? But is that up to HMRC to work out not HL ?

btw,This one lump sum SIPP withdrawal and my private pension together for tax year 16-17 isn't above my PA so any tax I will be claiming back.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    Hmmm just thought of something,my private pension amount monthly would take a chunk out of that monthly allowance of £917 ?? Which would leave more to be taxed on ?? But is that up to HMRC to work out not HL ?

btw,This one lump sum SIPP withdrawal and my private pension together for tax year 16-17 isn't above my PA so any tax I will be claiming back.
    The whole point of them giving you an 'emergency' tax code is that they don't know if you have a private pension amount monthly which was using up some of your allowance or nothing at all using up your allowance. They are just saying what tax do we withhold when we know nothing about this person other than we are paying them £1400 this month of which £1050 is taxable.

The assumption is that if they carry on paying you a taxable income of £1050 a month that's £12600 a year and you would be getting the first £11000 at 0% with £1600 at 20%... so they better withhold tax at 20% on £1600 a year which is £26 a month. It's a guess.

Yes of course if some other job or pension was using up all the £11000 and you were really getting £12600 a year from HL, perhaps they should be taxing you a lot more - but as in fact you are not going to be over the personal allowance with this lump sum withdrawal because it's a one-off and not recurring, it's worked out quite neatly and there's not much to claim back as it happens.

faddy wrote: »
    I could probably work this out by trawling through this thread, but how soon after opening a HL SIPP would I be able to withdraw a UPFLS allowing for forms going back and forth?
    The key takeaways if you don't want to read the thread are:

- you can fund your account via debit card as part of the account opening process online.

- if you make a contribution up to and including the 5th of a month it will be taken into account for that month's tax relief claim to HMRC and then be credited to your account on the 21st of the following month (or next working day).

- to withdraw via UFPLS you have to complete the risk questionnaire and get it back to them, which you can either do by clicking on their website to get it sent in the post, filling it out and posting it back, or by phoning them and talking through it and answering the questions after going through security to check it's you.

- after they have the completed risk questionnaire they can send you the application form for a UFPLS withdrawal which will arrive in a day or two by post or within a few minutes / hours by email. Then you can fill it out and sign and return it in the post with copy of your ID. Once this reaches them by post if all is in order it might take 3-4 working days for the funds to show as withdrawn from your online account and credited to your bank with the tax deduction.
    Would I be able to withdraw the whole amount paid in (taxed at 15%?) before the HMRC top up arrives? I'm assuming HL wouldn't close the account knowing a top up was on its way?
    They won't close the account while they are waiting for money which is owed to your account by HMRC. Meanwhile you could take out every other penny that was sitting in your account if you wanted (i.e. your contributions plus interest or investment returns).

However, if you do that (drain the account) and you had only done a contribution amount of £2880 like the other people in this thread, the outstanding tax claim is only £720 ; once that arrives it will be available for you, but your account will be below the £1000 minimum below which they reserve the right to close your account, and if you have maxed out your contribution allowance you will not be able to top it up until the next tax year so your account is sitting there at risk of closure.

If you don't invest the £720 tax relief when it arrives and plead with them not to close the account because you are definitely going to add more to it next tax year, honest guv... they may just unilaterally decide they will close the account and charge you a £295+vat (~£350) fee, which is their charge for early account closure within a year of opening the account.

You might prefer to avoid that crippling fee by making sure there is more sloshing around in the account than £720. For example only take out £2600 of your £2880 and then leave £280 which together with the £720 incoming claim makes £1000 sitting in the account to keep the account ticking over until it has been open long enough to avoid the 'early closure' fee and just pay the standard £25+vat fee.

It remains to be seen what attitude they take to their £1000 minimum limit which is a relatively new one. It just gives them some "terms and conditions" support if they decide they want to close down your account because you are taking the mick by making them work for free when you don't actually want any investments. Being a guinea pig to find out what circumstances they'll really go ahead with it, could be an expensive lesson.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure