Fathers Day - am I being unreasonable?

Options

Comments

• balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    Options
    Please expand....

The OP has said -

"She also takes the kids to church on a Sunday which I am not keen on, but accept. The kids really enjoy it, mainly because its a very progressive modern church so its quite relaxed and the kids do their own thing and get bribed given sweets, cakes and stuff."

So it could be read from that, that its not just the cakes and sweets they enjoy about going to church?
  • notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    The OP has said -

"She also takes the kids to church on a Sunday which I am not keen on, but accept. The kids really enjoy it, mainly because its a very progressive modern church so its quite relaxed and the kids do their own thing and get bribed given sweets, cakes and stuff."

So it could be read from that, that its not just the cakes and sweets they enjoy about going to church?

"The kids do their own thing and get bribed given sweets, cakes and stuff." Why can't they do that somewhere else then? Why do they have to do it in a religious framework? They're presumably young enough not to question it - perfect targets for the all-controlling church. ;)
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
  • poet123
    poet123 Posts: 24,099 Forumite
    Options
    Oh come off it!!!!

No, that is your opinion, but it is just that, an opinion.

The social side of churches can be very enjoyable for kids, for many people in fact.

As for being brainwashed, ah yes, that old chestnut, everyone who goes to church is unable to think for themselves aren't they?

As I said, you are entitled to your opinion.:D
  • notanewuser
    Options
    poet123 wrote: »
    No, that is your opinion, but it is just that, an opinion.

The social side of churches can be very enjoyable for kids, for many people in fact.

As for being brainwashed, ah yes, that old chestnut, everyone who goes to church is unable to think for themselves aren't they?

As I said, you are entitled to your opinion.:D

One of the children is 7. Not old enough to have the questioning skills required to evaluate fully what he's being told.

"Have these sweeties and give thanks to God."

There's enough indoctrination in schools. If the OP doesn't want his kids going to church he should put his bloody foot down.
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    Options

Is it that wrong of me to have thought (expected) that my partner may have put me first on Fathers Day?????

Why should your partner put you first on Fathers Day - you're not (one would hope) her father!
  • poet123
    poet123 Posts: 24,099 Forumite
    Options
    One of the children is 7. Not old enough to have the questioning skills required to evaluate fully what he's being told.

There's enough indoctrination in schools. If the OP doesn't want his kids going to church he should put his bloody foot down.

And if the Mother does and the children do?

How quaint, did we slip back to Victorian times?:rotfl:
  • Lagoon
    Lagoon Posts: 934 Forumite
    edited 14 June 2013 at 6:01PM
    Options

I was seven when I became atheist, despite going to religious school and regularly being involved in church activity. Seven isn't too young.

Despite this, I did at ten voluntarily join Bible club. I was there because I enjoyed the social side of it, and liked listening to the stories even if I thought they were nonsense. The kids aren't necessarily being brainwashed, especially with their father providing an alternative viewpoint. They might just enjoy it. In a couple of years, they may get bored or they may decide that they want to live a religious life.

Either way, what does it matter? Why does the OP determine who can go and who can't?
  • notanewuser
    Options
    poet123 wrote: »
    And if the Mother does and the children do?

How quaint, did we slip back to Victorian times?:rotfl:

Why does mum get to take them? If she's so sure her views are right, surely she should let her children come to it in their own way?
  • notanewuser
    Options
    Lagoon wrote: »
    I was seven when I became atheist, despite going to religious school and regularly being involved in church activity. Seven isn't too young.

Despite this, I did at ten voluntarily join Bible club. I was there because I enjoyed the social side of it, and liked listening to the stories even if I thought they were nonsense. The kids aren't necessarily being brainwashed, especially with their father providing an alternative viewpoint. They might just enjoy it. In a couple of years, they may get bored or they may decide that they want to live a religious life.

Either way, what does it matter? Why does the OP determine who can go and who can't?
    Ah, but you were a gifted child, weren't you?
  • Paddles
    Paddles Posts: 106 Forumite
    Options
    I think you should go. Two of my children go to church, I do not because I do not believe in God but although I was surprised when they wanted to go, I feel its their choice. One of my other daughter who seems to believe in biscuits went for a while for the biscuits but soon tired of it.... anyway despite not believing in god I do believe in supporting my family though so if they're doing anything I'll be there. In fact for someone not religious I've spent a lot of time in church over the years, weddings, deaths, special family things etc.

As for Fathers day, I agree that it's about being a father, so go to church, smile encouragingly and enjoy your children's performance, roll your eyes internally during the rest, but feel pleased you've been a good dad and then enjoy the rest of your day :-)
    Save £12K 2013 #54 - £4625/£15k
    £19,625 saved since 2011
    £50,000 by August 2014
    SPC #1925 £60
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business