• rhcp
    rhcp Posts: 2,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    20 to 24 Dec:

Brussels Sprouts 500g
    White Potatoes 2kg
    Parsnips 500g
    Carrots 1kg

All 29p, though some probably will be lower if others drop their prices. Half a kg less in potatoes this year.

From 19th:
    Fresh Turkey 3.95/kg
    British Beef Roasting Joint 4.95/kg
  • If I stocked up on the cheap potatoes, I wonder if I could chip them, partially cook them in the air fryer, put in to food bags and freeze to make my own frozen oven chips? I have a feeling I wouldn't be able to freeze them fast enough for the process to work?
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    rhcp wrote: »
    20 to 24 Dec:

Brussels Sprouts 500g
    White Potatoes 2kg
    Parsnips 500g
    Carrots 1kg

All 29p, though some probably will be lower if others drop their prices. Half a kg less in potatoes this year.
    Slightly off-topic, but I made the mistake of going to my local Mr T's Express on Christmas Eve last year because of the price match. These premium price branches - 25p for a single banana, anyone? - have very limited stocks of these offers, but prominently display other packs of the same veggies not on offer.

So VfM's Christmas message is: if you're going to leave it to the last minute, then stick to Aldi / Lidl / don't swerve the larger stores. HTH.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    If I stocked up on the cheap potatoes, I wonder if I could chip them, partially cook them in the air fryer, put in to food bags and freeze to make my own frozen oven chips? I have a feeling I wouldn't be able to freeze them fast enough for the process to work?

Dont know if it would work by partially air frying , but definitely okay if par boiled /blanched
    https://growagoodlife.com/freeze-potato-french-fries/
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,572 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If I stocked up on the cheap potatoes, I wonder if I could chip them, partially cook them in the air fryer, put in to food bags and freeze to make my own frozen oven chips? I have a feeling I wouldn't be able to freeze them fast enough for the process to work?

Don't know about an air fryer but I freeze chips. I parboil mine for 4-5 minutes and then open freeze (to stop them sticking together). When I need to use them I spread on one of those mesh trays from £ shop, spray with oil and then oven cook. It works fine and I think the chips are crisper.
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary

I (and others I have seen posted on threads i MSE/cooking sites) have done part cooked roast potatos frozen so I bet it would work. I would say cooked till just starting to brown then open freeze on a tray-they freeze faster and don't stick together. Then bag up to cook from frozen.

If you have any spuds now could do one to test today. Then check how the frozen ones cook in a day or 2.

Having googled definately found people freezing part cooked chips from the oven and deep fried, but not air fried so not sure if the chips having some oil on them helps with the freezing or not?

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Popped to Aldi to stock up on the veg for freezer, I find the earlier in offer you go the better the produce, anyway, carrots, parsnips, sprouts and red cabbage going through at 15p, the potatoes were 19p didn`t get a swede so can`t confirm price.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    pamsdish wrote: »
    Popped to Aldi to stock up on the veg for freezer, I find the earlier in offer you go the better the produce, anyway, carrots, parsnips, sprouts and red cabbage going through at 15p, the potatoes were 19p didn`t get a swede so can`t confirm price.

Thanks will have a go Lidl veg are still 49p in my local!!
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    surfsister wrote: »
    Thanks will have a go Lidl veg are still 49p in my local!!

Because Lidl work on a week starting Thursday - Will reduce to 15p tomorrow
  • pamsdish wrote: »

I can confirm the swede are 19p too

I think it's because Tesco are selling carrots, parsnips, & sprouts at 19p, but is charging 29p for spuds.
    (I didn't notice the swede in Mr T's, so not sure their price, but it wasn't in the 19p section)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback