Thames Water Changed Account Number

Has anyone else had an email from Thames Water telling them to re register their account because they've been given a new account number? If so, do you need to put your bank details again to st up a Direct Debit?

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Sounds like a scam!

Telephone Thames using the number on your bill.
  • Uxb1
    Uxb1 Posts: 732
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    On this very rare occasion @Cardew - you are wrong..
    (Only time I'll ever catch you out methinks!)

I got the email from TW to an email address only supplied to TW maybe a few weeks ago.
    I agree the email did not address me by name so its not wonderfully done by TW.
    I double checked by going to my saved login page for TWater - and it no longer exists
    Your current login credentials also do not work on the new login page either if you choose that from the TW home page.

You need to re-register as per the email and the email gave you your new TW account No.
    As part of the registration process you are asked as I recall to supply your address, this new account No and I think something else to ID you of which I chose the last 4 digits of the account No that the DD is taken from.
    Can't remember if they asked to confirm the bill holders name.
    You can if you want use exactly the same email and password on the new site as per the old one.

Now when you have registered - do not attempt to look as your past bills page immediately - you will find they are not there and you will think they have gone missing in the transfer - not so.
    Log out - wait at least 24 hours and then log in again - and you will find all your past bills for the last X (cant' remember) years have now been correctly transferred from the old system and uploaded to the past bills page.

I can only assume all the DD details have been transferred over correctly - my next bill is due in late Nov so I'll be checking it carefully when I get the TW bill ready notification.
    I was not asked to put anything new in other than to confirm details they already had as described above.

Hope this helps....
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    edited 27 October 2019 at 12:00PM
    Uxb1 wrote: »
    On this very rare occasion @Cardew - you are wrong..
    (Only time I'll ever catch you out methinks!)

Hope this helps....

Wow! What a palaver.

In my defence I did say 'Sounds like a SCAM'
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,631
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    And still does!! I would be waiting for the letter saying why haven't you paid!
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,264
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 29 October 2019 at 1:21PM
    badmemory wrote: »
    And still does!! I would be waiting for the letter saying why haven't you paid!
    It would appear to have been genuine.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/10/17/phishing_101_click_here_to_reregister/
  • Thames Water have been switching to a new billing system over the last year or so, hence the new account numbers which therefore required customers to reregister for their online account management...
  • Yup it was Thames Water in their clunky way changing accounting set ups. I only found out from a letter saying I owed them for November. This puzzled me since payment to TW has been by standing orders for years . I checked the bank account, the money had gone out on time, I check the original letter with the annual bill from February & I had the right accounts number and the right monthly payment. Then having read the demanding letter a couple of times I noticed that the account number on the November letter saying I hadn't paid differed from the account number on the bill / demand in February. I then called them up. The call centre said that I should send bank statements etc, I declined being insecure & suggested that since it was their screw up they should sort it out which to cut a long story short they have now done this month. They also admitted their mistake which was grand of them. What a palaver.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure