Have you suffered from not having a will? Tell us

Comments

• I haven't yet made one, but I plan on making one as soon as possible as I have some health concerns that have me thinking the clock might tick not necessarily in the far future. But I do find it a mistake to wait for too long, a will must be done ASAP, you can't leave things at chance.
  • Please advise everyone to have a solicitor to manage your affairs and make a will before you died! My late mother (92) had a will but only stated my brother and me to share everything she left we did not involve a solicitor before she died which I regret! I have fallen out with my brother over our late mother’s estate because of his demand for more money! We are not speaking now! He refused to sign a memorial installation form which was delayed since March 2020, thankfully now installed with help from the cemetery manager! My brother had more money than entitled to and a solicitor overseeing would have been better and prevented our falling out! important to know what funeral you want and either burial or cremation! Considering costs! Memorial are expensive and includes maintenance costs for many year’s! I only wish that I had been more knowledgable and informed about wills, solicitors and funerals!
  • I have just filled out by pension death grant form, so £50k will be shared between four people if I die before I retire, in ten years time.
    Making a will is much more complicated. I would like to look after my girl friend and others, but situations change very quickly.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,910 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I have just filled out by pension death grant form, so £50k will be shared between four people if I die before I retire, in ten years time.
    Making a will is much more complicated. I would like to look after my girl friend and others, but situations change very quickly.

How is it complicated?

Pick executors younger than yourself, pick back up executors.
    Name people in your will who you want to receive your assets / possessions, pick back up beneficiaries and back ups to them.

Read it a minimum of every 5 years, or when something happens / life change, amend will again if needed.

It's the best £200 spent.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • I'm having a situation sometimes as if no one understands you..
  • Anyone have recommendations for a will writer in the West Midlands? 
  • MovingForwards
    jezzer_72 said:
    Anyone have recommendations for a will writer in the West Midlands? 
    There's plenty of solicitors firms, email a few and ask for quotes.
  • jezzer_72 said:
    I’m aware, I was asking for a recommendation. 
  • MovingForwards
    edited 21 January 2021 at 9:59AM
    jezzer_72 said:
    jezzer_72 said:
    I’m aware, I was asking for a recommendation. 
    Better off starting your own thread as this is about people who have had problems with wills / not having a will following the death of someone.

• I knew a man whose mother died suddenly, with no will. At first the estate seemed straightforward.  He was her only son. She had divorced his father 20 years ago. Then it turned out that she had never signed the decree absolute, so had died still legally married. His father stood to inherit, but had disappeared years ago. The son was obliged to place adverts in newspapers in several continents, asking the father to come forward. Nothing was heard from the father, but the son was forced to wait 7 years to inherit the house. 
    A second example was of someone who failed to update their will. A man made a will leaving his house to his then fiancée. However they parted. By the time he died the fiancée had disappeared. The man’s family tried hard to trace her but were unable to. Again, they had to wait 7 years before they were able to legally claim title to the house. During this time the house stood empty and was repeatedly vandalised, with rubbish dumped in the garden. The local council was forced to carry out work as it was  causing a major nuisance to the neighbours and placed charges on the property, eventually compulsorily purchasing it.  The family did receive compensation for the value of the house, but this reflected the damaged state of the house and the charges owed to the Council. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback