How to haggle!

I have just started to read Martin's book and i'm upto the chapter how to haggle. I loved peoples tips but i just dont have the cofidence, anymore tips?
:cool: :cool: misters :cool: :cool:

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    ::) I followed Martin's tips on haggling in Debenhams.
    I purchased a set of suit cases and just asked if they could give me a better price. 10% (£28) was knocked off immediatly, not even having to seek permision from a supervisor
  • I have just started to read Martin's book and i'm upto the chapter how to haggle.  I loved peoples tips but i just dont have the cofidence, anymore tips?

I've always been a natural with haggling, to me its not really about confidence. At the end of the day you are spending your hard earned money so you want your money to go a long way and not to be ripped off. To many people try to make money from crazy prices so its all about principle at the end of the day. Why should the bosses be living it up on a xx million pound yacht in the south of France at your expense ?
  • divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Ask for more than you want :)

for e.g. if you want 10% off ask for 20% etc... they will always beat you down and you still get waht you want. ;D
  • sce37
    sce37 Posts: 130 Forumite
    If you are a regular customer tell them you are and ask for a loyalty discount.

Had used a particular carpet shop for most of my carpeting. Asked for a discount when ordering carpet, pointing out from their customer records my loyalty. Got £70 knocked off the price. Felt quite chuffed. :)
    I say what I like, I like what I say!
  • cafenervosa_2
    cafenervosa_2 Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    If you go to a computer fair a good time to haggle is just before they are closing up for the day. Rather than go when it first opens at 10am, stroll in at 2pm and strike some great deals. I'm sure more times than not they will want to get rid of stock rather than carrying it back to the car and then back into storage.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    The best advice I can give is ... be prepared for a "no"! If you can't face being told "no" then there is no point in trying as it will only knock your confidence even further.

However, if you are prepared to pay £X in the first instance, then decide to haggle for the cheek of it (fully prepared for the "no") you can only BENEFIT if they give you a discount.

Some of the benefits/bonus' I have secured along the way are:-

Le Crueset pans used as a display on the cooker I bought - FREE!

40 piece microwave dishes - FREE - when I bought .... (nope, not a microwave ;) ) a fridge freezer!!!!

Free voile curtains when I bought some new lounge curtains.

Free rug when I recarpeted my lounge.

Generally, I believe 10% is the average "haggle" allowance ... but I have been pleasantly surprised how variable this can be.

Take a deep breath, be prepared for a "no", and think of it as a cheeky game ;)

Best of British
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • kazzy
    kazzy Posts: 787 Forumite
    I always ask for discount especially in jewellers and when buying electrical items.I always get at least 10%.I bought a bed last week and managed to get them to throw in a £60 duvet set at the same time!!.
    My husband needed new glasses and we got a quote from Boots and then went into vision express and they price matched-save £60 from their original quote.!!!I love haggling.When we go and buy a new car I love it.My husband hardly says a word and we're there for 2 hours or so haggling over the price.I start off with a really silly offer and then at the end after i've managed to get them to tax it,I ask for a full tank of petrol aswell.I think I've just got a cheeky smile!!!!
    I want money..........that's what I want !!:j
  • Sofa_Sogood
    Sofa_Sogood Posts: 5,258 Forumite
    I'm not keen on haggling either, and I've read the chapter you mentioned.

The one time I did haggle successfully I asked (as suggested in the book), someone that looked like he was a floor manager, or higher, if there was any discount for cash on a suite I'd spotted in Debenhams.

I was amazed when he let me have it with about 500 quid knocked off! :D

But it does knock you back a bit when someone refuses point blank to even think about reducing a price.

And like the poster above, I asked for discount for cash on a Gucci watch (not for me by the way), and saved about 10%. Result!

Just do it. What's the worst that can happen? They say no and lose a probable sale?

Good luck ;)
  • bridiej
    bridiej Posts: 5,775
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I tried to haggle today with Green Flag but got nowhere... :(

I guess until you keep trying you'll never gain confidence - think will have this as a late addition to my New Year Resolutions - always haggle! :D

I just pop in now and then.... :)
    transcribing
  • Spooky
    Spooky Posts: 15 Forumite
    As a self employed retailer, I do get haggled almost every trading day. Ive become wise to these tactics as I worked out on a good day I was giving discounts of up to £100, thats money out of my pocket to feed my family.

Ive no problem with hagglers, I just believe there should be rules to adhere to, ie only haggle stores/people who can afford to drop the price lower and pay the asking price on products sold by people working hard trying to make a living to survive, ie market traders.

After all there is a reason the price is as it is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure