Implications of Decree Absolute

My cousin's Consent Order has been approved by the Court. Should he wait for the family home to be sold (currently on the market) and he receives his 25% share *before* applying for Decree Absolute?

His wife has given him the run-around for years with broken promises & threats, so is it best if he waits to until his 25% is safely in his bank account, and *then* apply for Decree Absolute?
Light at end of tunnel spotted - don't want to extinguish it.
Thank you for any advice.

Comments

• jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    IIRC, I was advised that the Consent Order doesn’t become binding until the DA is issued, so to apply for the DA immediately the CO had been approved by the court.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • JackieBlack, thank you for that information.

As his wife is worried he'll suddenly ask for his fair share (ie more than 25%) - it might work in his favour *not* to get the DA issued immediately to ensure she'll keep focused on selling their home.
    No children involved, no wish to re-marry, so no pressing need on his part.
    I will ask him to consult his solicitor though.
    Thanks again.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Dilbert999 wrote: »
    JackieBlack, thank you for that information.

As his wife is worried he'll suddenly ask for his fair share (ie more than 25%) - it might work in his favour *not* to get the DA issued immediately to ensure she'll keep focused on selling their home.
    No children involved, no wish to re-marry, so no pressing need on his part.
    I will ask him to consult his solicitor though.
    Thanks again.

I believe that if the petitioner doesn't apply for the DA within a certain amount of time, the respondent can apply for it themselves.

ETA - found it
    If you do not apply for the decree absolute

Your husband or wife can apply for the decree absolute if you do not. They’ll have to wait an extra 3 months to do this, on top of the standard 43 days.

https://www.gov.uk/divorce/apply-for-a-decree-absolute
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Yes, you're right. Apparently (taken from a web site) "the other party will need to wait an additional 3 months before applying (this is in addition to the standard 6 weeks and 1 day)". So she can't force matters immediately.

I notice on the gov.uk web site that the wording says "You need to get a solicitor to draft a ‘consent order’ and ask a court to approve it - this makes it legally binding." This is misleading (given you've advised correctly that the decree absolute is needed to make it legally binding), so I'll ask them to review the wording. https://www.gov.uk/money-property-when-relationship-ends/apply-for-consent-order

Thanks again - very grateful for your advice.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    There is no benefit to him in delying the decree absolute.

It makes sense not to apply for the decree absolute until the consent order is made by the court, as this offers some protections in the event that one person were to die bofore things are finalised, but that is no longer an issue as the court has made the order.

That said, he should also ensure that the solicitors dealing with the sale of the hosue have a copy of the order and have been explicitly instructed, in writing, that the funds are to be paid out in accordance with the order.

The order is legally binding when the court makes it, but isn't enforceable until the Absolute is also made, so it is in your cousin's interests to get is soonerrather than later, so that they are able to apply back to court to enforce the order if their spouse doesn't comply with it.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Hi, TBagpuss, thanks so much for your advice. My cousin wrote to his solicitor for advice - not heard back yet! Would have been useful if they'd explained all this in their letter. Based on what you say, he'll go ahead with decree absolute.
    Also great advice about the solicitors dealing with the sale of the house.
    Many thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport