How to profit from BREXIT

Comments

• Peelerfart
    Peelerfart Posts: 2,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Whenever I go to the big bit of Europe I always return full of wine, so that's out.
    I also return wanting one of either, deep breath,

Black pudding, haggis, UK sausage, spam, corned beef, bacon, pork pies or pies of most any kind, pasties, baked beans. Oh! And fray bentos steak and kidney.

Nope not a vegan and hope it helps, but I doubt it :-)
    Space available for rent
  • Peelerfart wrote: »
    I also return wanting one of either, deep breath,

Black pudding, haggis, UK sausage, spam, corned beef, bacon, pork pies or pies of most any kind, pasties, baked beans. Oh! And fray bentos steak and kidney.

Explains your name:rotfl:
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Did someone say lumber? Let me tell you about an asset-backed, fixed, insured forestry investment scheme...

Asset-backed is highly dependent on the value of the underlying assets, which can (and likely will) fluctuate.

Which way is anyone’s guess.

As for profiting, my strategies are strictly commercially confidential to the extent that many of those I work with don’t know what plans are in place, as are anyone’s who may or may not be gearing up for what’s may or may not be about to come.
    💙💛 💔
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Snakey wrote: »
    I wasn't aware that Heinz did a Black Forest sponge pudding (I live in the middle of London where you only tend to get the best-selling one or two of a range, not the full selection). Has anyone had one? What's it like?

Heinz have stopped making them so I guess we will never know.

Treacle pudding was a totally awesome meal for one.

Alex
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    There's a nice FT article on this, saying:

("Brexit deal, muddle or disaster: the 3 UK scenarios", (https://www.ft.com/content/0d5c6784-cd70-11e8-9fe5-24ad351828ab, for those of you with subscriptions).

It implies that there's probably mileage in selling UK equities today, and rebuying on Monday -- either the market will rise by not very much, or there will be a rather larger shock that negotiations are not on track, giving rise to a relative gain for a brave investor.

Still, this isn't really lateral thinking.

So far, each time the news has been bad, the pound has fallen and the FT100 has risen, due to the global nature of the component companies, so I’m not sure your strategy here is sound!

I wonder, though, if we can turn your question around and ask if anyone has profited from the yo-yo nature of the good-news, bad-news cycle over the last two years? There must have been stocks that rose and fell on a fairly predictable basis and frequent traders that have profited from this?
  • ruperts
    ruperts Posts: 3,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I’d imagine ‘EU compliance’ legal services will do quite well in the event of no deal.

Poverty-relief shops like B&M bargains should the economy downturn.

British equivalents of products that are usually or often imported should the pound weaken, and vice versa.

The British stock index in general should the Tory government press ahead with making the uk a low tax, low regulation, low wage economy post brexit.
  • Lord Snooty's dad has written a book on "disaster capitalism", ie how to make money in crisis such as the collapse of the USSR. Obviously no suggestion that Rees-Mogg and his chums in the ERG are pursuing their own financial interests regarding Brexit and only have the interests of the working classes at heart..:wink:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sovereign-Individual-James-Dale-Davidson/dp/0684832720/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1539427279&sr=1-1&keywords=the+sovereign+individual
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    ruperts wrote: »
    low wage economy post brexit.

That's a global issue already. Not just a UK one. Brexit has no bearing. Though with less access to a pool of cheap labour. The minumum wage may not be the defacto wage in certain industries. Once companies are forced to offer better packages to recruit staff.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Because Brexit isn't an everyday occurrence - is a large, one-off change, with unpredictable consequences.

The consequences are likely to ripple far and wide. Due to the interconnected nature of the world.
  • dividendhero
    dividendhero Posts: 2,417 Forumite
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Though with less access to a pool of cheap labour. The minumum wage may not be the defacto wage in certain industries. Once companies are forced to offer better packages to recruit staff.

In my experience it's not so much that EU workers are cheaper...they're just better workers than their British counterparts with much more of a work ethic. I do realise that the ones in the UK aren't representative of everyone from their home country as they've had the get up and go to move to another country.

In some industries such as hairdressing, employers will have no choice other than to hire Brits instead of EU migrants. But many other companies will still employ EU staff, but in their home countries - in the industry I work in, IT East Europeans are just as good as Brits but cost less than half to employ. On top of this they'll have freedom of movement so they can work anywhere from Oslo to Athens with no red tape
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure