Engine damage on a car bought 4 months ago.

Options

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    You’re welcome.

Have you contacted the garage that carried out the service and possibly cracked the filter? It sounds as though they are the root cause but you’ll have a hard, probably impossible job to pin this on them after four months.

I can’t see how you’re going to succeed with Motorpoint because they will presumably argue the point I made: that the oil leak was detectable before it caused the major damage.

Good luck with it but I’m afraid I can’t see a positive outcome to this.
  • Jaywood89
    Jaywood89 Posts: 161 Forumite
    edited 15 January 2018 at 11:02PM
    Options
    It states on citizens advice that if a dealer sells a car and a problem arises within the first 6 months it’s their job to prove it wasn’t them not my job to prove it wasn’t me? Am I reading this wrong?
    I have a mechanics report from
    Hyundai with pictures showing the damage and stating it is the root cause of the issue. Not sure if that will help or not

It’s not worth thinking about being left with finance on a 17000 car and also a 10000 to fix the engine.

Would it be reasonable to expect them to take at least 50% liability? (Frankly believe it is 100%) but worth exploring
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Are you able to share the picture of the filter?
  • Jaywood89
    Options
    Sorry no I can’t figure it out I’m afraid.

I have a report from Hyundai stating “major oil leak found in filter”
    But states “knocking noise in engine coming from running with little to no oil”

Then I also have an AA recovery report that states “oil leak suspected, contaminated road surface”

Least I know fake I can’t argue there was no leak really.
    The Hyundai dealer did say on phone that even when he filled it it just ran straight through the filter and into the engine. This is what makes me think I would never of Picked up the issue without damaging the engine anyway.
    It would of taken me weeks to work out what was wrong all while it was running on no oil. This is only if I was someone who checked my oil daily.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    I would think that the only way an oil filter can crack is either through over tightening or mishandling when it was replaced, or (and it’s a very long shot) that it’s been cracked through a stone flicking up into the engine bay. If it was the former, then the leak would have been present from the day you bought the car and they will argue that you should have detected a drop in oil level over four months. If the latter then it’s clearly not the garage’s fault.

As others have pointed out, even if you were to win the argument on root cause and fault, the other argument they will employ is that despite you hearing rattling, a bang and the car cutting out, you restarted the car and drove it home, rattling. Ultimately, it was that which trashed the engine.
  • Jaywood89
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.
    Like I said before tho, when it came to driving it home we had no idea what was wrong with the car, it had worked perfectly then a sudden rattle them off it went. We aren’t car savvy so when it started back up we just thought thank god we aren’t stranded in New Year’s Day and took it home to be dealt with when everything was back open the next day.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    Jaywood89 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.
    Like I said before tho, when it came to driving it home we had no idea what was wrong with the car, it had worked perfectly then a sudden rattle them off it went. We aren’t car savvy so when it started back up we just thought thank god we aren’t stranded in New Year’s Day and took it home to be dealt with when everything was back open the next day.
    You’re welcome.
    It may have started again but you said that it rattled all the way home. With hindsight that was a mistake. To turn your argument about being stranded with four children around, one might argue that you took a risk driving a car full of family with an obvious but unknown rattle all the way home. How did you know it wasn’t something safety-critical? Yet you drove home anyway. The right thing to do was to call the AA at the point the car first broke down. That might have caught it before the engine got trashed.

Motorpoint aren’t going to be swayed by circumstances, they will deal with facts. They won’t be interested in the fact it was New Year or that you had children in the car. Be very careful with how you explain your actions to them because if you explain it as you have here, I think they have a straightforward route to rejecting your claim.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jaywood89 wrote: »
    Well your the first person I know who does.

I check ALL fluid levels once a week.

You didn't check the oil for months.

The engine stopped for lack of oil which would have been easily detected if you had checked the level at that point. Clue - engine 'rattling'.

Instead of calling for recovery you got the engine running and continued home with the engine still 'rattling'.

No matter what the reason for low oil - YOU totally wrecked the engine through negligence.

Ignorance, or in your words 'not being car savvy' is not going to get you much sympathy, or assistance with the repair bill.

You have learned a hard lesson or I hope you have.

Check all fluid levels regularly and don't drive a car that suddenly makes a rattling noise.

I know that's not the answer you want to hear - but it's the reality of the situation.
  • Jaywood89
    Options
    Thanks for the advice.

Hindsight is a brilliant thing. I keep putting myself back to that day and because the raffle came on so sudden then the engine cut out, then started again with a weird (stone in a can) style sound we really just didn’t know what was happening. We barley use the thing until the weekend. If it does more than 20 miles a week I’d be shocked. we just didn’t expect the damage to be so severe, we thought there might be something come loose. I couldn’t tell u a single thing under a bonnet so I wouldn’t have a clue.

I really don’t know what we will do if they won’t repair it. It will financially ruin us!.

Thanks for the help tho guys
  • Jaywood89
    Options
    Iceweasel.....

I’ve read your comment several times and I just can’t find anything in it other than snide and rudeness.

I take it you have read the comments above so are aware of tje financial crisis we will face now. Did you think you were being helpful? I have really appreciated everyone’s honestly and help but your comments felt more mocking and intentionally rude. All the underlines and capitals like I’m being sent a threatening letter from a bank.

So I’m just going to brush past them and hope if you do comment further or to anyone else on a forum please remember there is an ‘actual’ person reading them, one who is facing a crisis and please remember you have no idea how your comments can be taken.

I know I should not insight a forum argument. It never ends well but I just couldn’t leave it where it was when the rest of the conversations have been so helpful and civil, even if it wasn’t what I wanted to hear.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure