Camper van hire 'damage' charges

Comments

• House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    I don't think you've got grounds for complaint I'm afraid. As AdrianC says, the charge possibly relates to more than just the material cost of the new switch unit. You broke it whilst it was in your care and you're going to have a hard time proving it was already damaged or inherently faulty.
    , Seems we have a lot of very biased ex or current motor trade employees on on here slamming every complaint against the motor trade "You broke it " can be also worded as "the part malfunctioned in normal usage " .
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    As the others have said, you'll have to pay if something was broken.
    Who broke it? You or another person?
    Because, at least in my experience nobody ever broke anything by misusing it in some way. It's always the broken item that is at fault.
  • angelfire
    angelfire Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Did you report the faulty/broken switch when you returned the vehicle to the hirer?

For future, it might be an idea to go around the van yourselves before driving off, literally flicking switches, ensuring air con is working, the hob, fridge etc, are all in good order, rather than just the usual bodywork checks....
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,984 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    , Seems we have a lot of very biased ex or current motor trade employees on on here slamming every complaint against the motor trade "You broke it " can be also worded as "the part malfunctioned in normal usage " .
    Interesting accusation. I'm not a current or ex motor trade employee, nor have I "slammed" the OP's complaint. I have simply pointed out that he will have a hard time to prove his case, given that the switch was damaged whilst in his care.

If anyone on here is biased and has an agenda, it is you. You were quick to jump to a baseless conclusion about a headlamp to justify your view of the trade and your posts clearly display your inherent bias:
    Sounds like a typical garage con to rob you.
    you know what these garages and hire companies are like. They are usually looking out for a way to rob people
    Typical swindling hire garages and garages in general.

Yeah, the OP's going to get really balanced and pragmatic advice from you, isn't he...
  • IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    To be honest, I'm with the OP. These conversions can be pretty home-made and it is not surprising to me that there can be faults on them that come up under normal use. Let's make the assumption (unusual on MSE I know) that the OP is being straight about the lack of force.

It is unfortunate that on something like this it would be impossible for either party to prove who did what. It may not help if the switch was broken and it was not brought to the attention of the hire company as that would tend to point to a cover up. These switches may well not be the same quality as we would expect from a volume car manufacturer who is conscious of warranty claims and so specs something that can do many presses with little chance of failure. They will not be original equipment, but simple things that get added during conversion.

If I have objected to the charge and the hire company are sticking to their guns, assuming I had paid by credit card, I would make a complaint to the credit card company.

I will happily pay for things that a break through carelessness or negligence. I would not pay for something not of suitable quality for the job. Chances are that inspection of the switch would have identified the cause of failure, and typically you would find it is some little delicate bit of plastic that has cracked or deformed. Then it comes a case of pot luck who it failed on - it might have been inappropriate force by persons unknown (including the OP) or it might be faulty manufacture or it might simply be poor design.

I would put the onus on the hire firm to show it was by unreasonable conduct and I would say any T & C that held me responsible for something that was fair wear and tear or manufacturing defect or simply unfit for purpose would be unreasonable.

Let's imagine a further twist in the OP's issue. What if the hire company knew the switch was faulty, perhaps they've had loads of them fail on these camper vans over the years, and chose to pretend otherwise? They plan to charge the poor sap where it finally broke on as there is a nice few smackers to be had from the unsuspecting punters who pay up because they are feeling guilty that it came away in their hands. Would it be reasonable to simply say "Tough, check your T & Cs, you've got to pay up."?
  • House_Martin
    edited 8 January 2018 at 1:43PM
    To AylesburyD
    What with the words "YOU broke it " very "pragmatic advice indeed !, more like an accusation. You ve hung drawn and quartered him already and made your biased decision
    How do know that he/she "broke " it .It "malfunctioned with normal usage " is an alternative way of looking at it,
    Thats wear and tear in my book.
    It could have been badly made Fiat camper made up of penny pinching shoddy switch gear
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    To AylesburyD
    What with the words "YOU broke it " very "pragmatic advice indeed !, more like an accusation. You ve hung drawn and quartered him already and made your biased decision
    How do know that he/she "broke " it .It "malfunctioned with normal usage " is an alternative way of looking at it,
    Thats wear and tear in my book.
    It could have been badly made Fiat camper made up of penny pinching shoddy switch gear
    "Hung drawn and quartered"? Get a sense of perspective. The OP is £200 down and I think they'll have a tricky job to recover it. My "biased decision" doesn't matter, it's just my view. My advice was to check the conditions of hire, something the OP is checking out.

If I really wanted to condemn the OP, I would have linked their breaking of the switch to something completely spurious, like a headlamp perhaps. Anything to fit my agenda.
  • House_Martin
    "Hung drawn and quartered"? Get a sense of perspective. The OP is £200 down and I think they'll have a tricky job to recover it. My "biased decision" doesn't matter, it's just my view. My advice was to check the conditions of hire, something the OP is checking out.

If I really wanted to condemn the OP, I would have linked their breaking of the switch to something completely spurious, like a headlamp perhaps. Anything to fit my agenda.
    Maybe you should "get a sense of humour " and I will try and keep a "sense of perspective". £200 is a lot of money to pay for a cheap piece of switch gear,.But there you go again with your assumptions with "their breaking of the switch " Any chance of reserving judgement into "who broke what ?
    The switch malfunctioned is a much more likely scenario.
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    They probably just pop the switch out with a screwdriver and the next customer will push it in and they will charge them another £200 and so the cycle continues. I would send them a letter before action telling them you are very experienced at using the small claims court. If they don't refund the money then you have to gamble on the small claims court fee. The online court fee is £25. They will then either have to pay you £225 or defend the claim. If they go to court the Judge will randomly decide depending on who they trust most. The motorhome people would probably be asked to produce the bill showing that they had paid £200 to rectify the problem. I think you have a good chance of winning but it is a gamble.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Any chance of reserving judgement into "who broke what ?
    The switch malfunctioned is a much more likely scenario.
    If we all reserved judgement, it wouldn't be much of a thread, would it.

First post: OP explains the situation.
    *Everybody reserves judgement*
    Second and last post: OP posts outcome.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills