The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Options

Comments

• rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    No Friday pizza chez Greying? :eek:

... excuse me for a moment while I have a little lie down;)
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Reading your diary uplifts me , you have such a way with words.

Totally agree! Even though I don't reply as much I read everyday.

Have a lovely day x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • UncannyScot
    UncannyScot Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Totally agree! Even though I don't reply as much I read everyday.

Have a lovely day x

Same here.
    One of the highlights of my day (or week) is catching up with your diary GP :D
    I get inspired by your cooking to try new things
    :A
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Evening :hello:

rtandon - I'm on UFM!!! I gotta eat a.l.l. the things! :rotfl:

WannabeFree
    and Uncanny Scot - thank you, you are too kind :o

Well, we've definitely shoe-horned in exercise today. Even with a bit of a concerted effort over the last week, my pace has quickened and I'm finding it easier to walk further and faster - if that makes sense. BG enjoyed a toddle, but they are sometimes so busy seeing what is going on, they forget to put one foot in front of the other...... so it's a little stop/start.........:D

At least the misty murk burnt off and we were wandering about the place in pleasant sunshine.

HB had the coffee that we buy back in stock, so I picked up a jar, as I was only able to afford a 100g jar of d0uw3 Egb3rts, so naturally it will be used up in half that time. I did ponder about getting the decaf version - as I was given a decaf coffee the other day. It was pleasant enough to drink, but I think I'll probably try to stick to only drinking one cup a day and see where it gets me.

Tea this evening was definitely 'bitsa'. I trundled out the remaining cous cous and roasted BNS, and teamed it with; Pugilese beetroot salad; fennel and orange olives and a carrot and orange salad. We prefer black olives, so they are what I marinated, and I tend to zest my oranges, rather than put strips of zest in with the olives - plus I marinated them for the afternoon, rather than overnight. The carrot and orange salad is from my vintage copy of Vegetarian dishes from the middle east by Arto der Haroutunian, and I'm afraid I can't find a link to it. However, just as when we have it in summer, the carrot and orange combo is wonderfully refreshing. A nice plateful, and all l/o's and storecupboard ingredients utilised. Dunno why, but the 'lightness' of it all was pleasant too. You can't say that pizza and wedges is a 'light' meal........ :rotfl:

I have actually remembered to put the mung beans on to soak for tomorrow night's curry. And I have 'paid' the storecupboard for porridge oats and the mung beans, so I'm 'all square'.

Today i am grateful for these 3 things;

time to email a friend

for what I have

the seemingly constant sound of giggling.......................

Ta for popping by and joining in. I appreciate you making the time for me.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £7/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £184.08/215
    Non-food household spend April £27.83/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • rtandon27
    Options
    ...the seemingly constant sound of giggling...

:A:A:A

how absolutely lovely - a contented child is the sign of a well loved one!:D:D:D
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Morning :hello:

Ha ha - Thanks rtandon - we've had giggles and tears here this morn, chez Greying. The tears being when the little one isn't quite getting their own way................. ;) But they know they are loved, nay, adored, so they usually bounce back to smileydom :D

Well, time is flying again and there is so much to do, and so little time to do it in!

I bought a small chest of drawers yesterday, from the local furniture recycling charity shop. It will be for BG's clothes. It was £45, which I think is quite alot of money, but BG needs clothes storage, and it was by far the best one that I have seen (condition wise) to date. It's not without scratches and dinks, but was originally a 'solid' piece of furniture, rather than flat pack. I don't mind flat pack at all, as long as once it is put together, it is reasonably robust. I saw a set of chest of drawers in a chazzer the other week, that only needed finger pressure on the top to get them to start wobbling from side to side :eek: and the shop was asking £75 each item :eek: Anyway, DH has done a sterling job of - firstly picking the furniture up from the shop (no mean feat in Greying Town on a Saturday arvo.........) and then hoovering, scrubbing and polishing up the drawers to within an inch of their being :D

We've a friend visiting this week, so we best have a think about cake :D

There is the ubiquitous hoovering and tidying to do *sigh*

Tea last night was a curry plate. I made Mugg, which is mung bean curry. I got my original recipe from the 'Eat Hackney' website, which has changed and developed over time. However, the recipe is still there, on THIS link - scroll down, and you'll find the mung bean curry recipe, a cauliflower curry recipe and a version of a raita. I accompanied our mugg with lentil dhal and basmati rice. For such a simple curry, mugg really tastes great.

I rather think we will be glad of our cardboard box fish, oven chips and mushy peas for tea tonight, by the time chores are completed!

As well as purchasing furniture, I did buy some things yesterday - sunflower and pumpkin seeds, clementines, bananas; and DH was charged with getting some frozen things from mrAl. I'm giving their fish fingers (not cod - they are £1 for 10 I think) a try - 15 for £1.29 (I think), and broccoli and (whole) green beans which are both 85p for a 1 kg bag. Those prices, I'm afraid, blow h3r0n right out of the water. If the quality is good enough, I'm afraid I will have to be a convert. Which pains me, because our local H3r0n staff are far more friendly, polite and caring than our local MrAl staff are.......... Still, h3r0n won't lose my business entirely, I will still pop in there regularly, to look for bargains.

Right, apparently I have been made toast! :D So best vamoose and go scoff it!

Ta for popping by and being so encouraging. It is appreciated. Far more than you know.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £7/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £184.08/215
    Non-food household spend April £27.83/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Mmm, toast :D and mmm, cake :D

Love to read what you're having for tea Greying :D I rarely plan more than a few minutes ahead, in fact often I'm cooking and don't quite know what's going to emerge from the pan at the end of the process :D I admire your forethought! :j

Have a jolly Sunday :)
  • rtandon27
    Options
    tears?!? :eek: can't believe that of the virtual god-child - BG is simply perfect in every way! ;):D :A
    ...Anyway, DH has done a sterling job of - firstly picking the furniture up from the shop (no mean feat in Greying Town on a Saturday arvo.........) and then hoovering, scrubbing and polishing up the drawers to within an inch of their being...

...Right, apparently I have been made toast! :D So best vamoose and go scoff it...

:T: Mr. GP is on a roll this weekend :T

Must be something in the air - OH took out the rubbish & the recycling, emptied the dishwasher and made me a cup of coffee and a (yellow-stickered) croissant with cheese - all without being asked

He even reminded me that since it's UFM we could do without boxed fish this week & eat stickered chook from the freezer...:rotfl:...it's a start - I'd have reccomended diving into the stores & opening a can of chickpeas and a jarred sauce to eat with rice, but don't think he's progressed that far...

...baby steps...
    :rotfl:
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I like Mr Al's whole green beans. Don't get on with frozen broc myself - never can get it cooked properly...
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I like all Mr Al's frozen veg. I just wish there was more of it. Neither Al, L, or H3r0n do frozen spinach, and sometimes Mr Al has sold out of fresh. I've just bought a tin of chopped spinach (thoughts of Popeye) so that I can have something spicy and spinachy when I fancy it.

I had a ready meal of palak dal yesterday, as 1) it's one of those things I couldn't get the ingredients for easily, and
    2) If it tasted vile, all I would have wasted would be money, not time.

It didn't taste vile, it tasted heavenly. Just enough heat, but no hot ears, and half gallon of yogurt needed. The ready meal company was called Gits, which rather amused me.

My daughter works for Mr Al, so the staff are generally very pleasant to me, and to those that aren't., I make a point of mentioning the fact, as the chances are, she trained them at some stage..!

H3r0n staff are almost uniformly lovely, though. They notice things, and they care.

The days of cheap s/h furniture in charity shops seem long gone.
    Having said that, some of my flatpack has lasted donkey's years, though most didn't. Two of our MFI bookshelves are over thirty years old, though, and my solid pine TV trolley, from the same location, is roughly the same age.
    I think this will be one of those pieces that will be with me until I shuffle off, it's so well-built.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure