Returning packaging to supermarkets.

I have tried searching this on here to no avail. Some people are saying that supermarkets have to take back plastic packaging to be recycled. My council (Bolton) cannot recycle most plastic packaging. Any thoughts?
A watched pot always boils. :j

Comments

• worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    They’ll just stick it in landfill.
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I've never heard of this, I think you'd have to ask them to know for sure. If you do, would be interesting to know what they say?

However, if they accept it and don't say where it goes, I wouldn't assume they have recycling for it. On the other hand, I would also look up what happens to your rubbish. Where I live the rubbish is burnt in waste to energy power stations which turn it in to electricity, generate very little air pollution, then the ashes undergo metal recover, with the remainder after that used in construction materials. Throwing rubbish in the bin here has a pretty minimal environmental impact. Surprisingly though, many people around here - even environmentally interested people - still commonly think it's all just going in landfill. So far, nobody I've talked to has realised our region haven't been landfilling rubbish for about 15-20 years now.
  • Yes, large supermarkets now have containers, usually near the exit after the tills, where you can bring back a wide variety of plastics which councils don't accept in recycling bins. As far as I'm aware, they are recycling what they collect but I can't be sure. The types of plastic accepted are thin carrier bags, cereal bags, bread bags etc. There is a full list here on the 'recyclenow' webiste. The forum won't let me post the link but search 'what to do with plastic film and carrier bags' on that website, also really useful for other recycyling questions!
  • theboylard
    theboylard Posts: 1,206 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    All of the big supermarkets recycle their own rubbish - one depot I personally know in the East Midlands invested 500k in a bigger compacter.
    All the stores returned their waste to the depot so the vehicles weren't running empty on the return leg, better use of them/economy etc.
    7 years ago it was returning about £3M annually to the depot bottom line, so if they can make money out of cardboard and plastic wrap, I'm sure they'll take it back.
    The only issue is the cost of the extra labour at the retail store - because folk won't clean their recycling - so they'll fight that as the money goes to the depot, not the store.
    4kWp, SSE, SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    Now with added Sunsynk 5kw hybrid ecco inverter & 15kWh Fogstar batteries. Oh Octopus Energy too.
  • Ben84
    AmerzD wrote: »
    Yes, large supermarkets now have containers, usually near the exit after the tills, where you can bring back a wide variety of plastics which councils don't accept in recycling bins. As far as I'm aware, they are recycling what they collect but I can't be sure. The types of plastic accepted are thin carrier bags, cereal bags, bread bags etc. There is a full list here on the 'recyclenow' webiste. The forum won't let me post the link but search 'what to do with plastic film and carrier bags' on that website, also really useful for other recycyling questions!

I'm pretty sure you mean https://www.recyclenow.com ?

I haven't see much plastic recycling at my local supermarkets though. They have some bins for plastic bags, and that's all I'm aware of. A search on recyclenow for my local area turned up a lot of bottle banks and some textile banks, and that's it. I don't live in the middle of nowhere though, suburb of a medium size city. Either regions vary, or the site isn't listing all the locations/materials?
  • HI Ben

Yes, that is the website, as I'm new the forum wouldn't let me post the link.
    Those bins for the plastic bags are also for the other plastics on that list.
  • Ben84
    AmerzD wrote: »
    HI Ben

Yes, that is the website, as I'm new the forum wouldn't let me post the link.
    Those bins for the plastic bags are also for the other plastics on that list.

I understand, had same problem when I first registered.

Yes, those plastic bag bins can have a few things put in them, various film plastics - although not all it appears. Some of the right ones are commonly used for packaging frozen foods, toilet paper, etc. so not just the carrier bags. I have no idea what they're doing with them though. To be honest, they don't make up much waste in our house and I just throw them out.

A big one people ask about is the other bulky plastic items, like tubs and pots, etc. Mine mostly turn in to plant pots after a I poke a few holes in the bottom (I give away a lot of plants each year so need more all the time), but that's not an option for everyone.
  • The reason that councils don't take thin plastic like clingfilm and polythene bags is that they can't be recycled, so taking them to the supermarket won't make any difference. (It was on the news just last week.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure