What could he be up to?

Options

Comments

• CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,761 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just no. My late husband worked for the M.O.D. Nothing like this was required for that so I'd say no. Children's passports? Really......
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    He doesn't actually want the kids passports, he just wants a scan of the main page. I wondered if he was going to try to get new passports for them but they are too old to be abducted.

It also didn't explain the utility bill for his previous address. He still has a mortgage on that house so we wondered if he was going to try to re mortgage but that wouldn't explain the passport scans.

He is a devious man and often gets into money trouble so there will be something shady going on.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,734 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 January 2018 at 6:18PM
    Options
    He can send off for copies of the birth certificates himself if he wants them. The rest does just sound odd.
    Any sorts of insurances or PPI she's forgotten about he might be trying to claim?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Initially, I'd say the bill was for a DBS check (they are usually renewed by companies that require them after 3 years) - but that's unlikely if he's remarried, lives somewhere else and also wants the birth certificates and passports.

I'd be more suspicious that it's for some sort of credit application, secured upon the basis that he/his wife owns more than one property. Or they are applying for social housing/benefit if he's lost his job and hasn't admitted it, so need to prove that he and his wife have dependent children. Bankruptcy is also a possibility.

If he wants copy birth certificates, he is perfectly entitled to purchase some himself.

I wouldn't provide those documents to him. If there were to be a legitimate reason for needing them, I'm sure that he could arrange for the relevant organisation to write to her and explain the reasons for the request.

The odour of large domestic rodents is strong with this.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,761 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    swingaloo wrote: »
    s.

He is a devious man and often gets into money trouble so there will be something shady going on.

I was thinking maybe he is trying to borrow against the equity in the house which would result in a second charge against the property.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If I were your friend I would contact the mortgage company, explain that something strange is going on which she doesn,t understand and ask them to verify with her personally if they receive any strange requests as they will definitely not be coming from her with her agreement.
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Options
    Whatever he wants the documents for I certainly would NOT give them to him..........
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Could he have another child somewhere? Maybe there is a claim for maintenance and he needs to prove he has other children to maintain? Or may be he is trying to claim some benefit or possible a council property and needs to show he has other children that he needs to house.

Could be as daft as applying for a larger wheelie bin, here you have to show the birth certificates of 5 people to be given a larger bin.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just to answer some of the posts above-

The mortgage on the house my friend lives in is in her ex's name only so if he were to re-mortgage she would not be involved. The mortgage company would not be able to speak to her for this reason. There is very little equity in the property.

He lives in a rented property and has 4 more children. He is very much a snob and would not consider a council house if he was offered one rent free.

He is a very high earner and besides the mortgage on the marital home and maintenance he is also paying 1500 a month rent. He may well have money issues though as he has always lived above his means and likes to appear as a 'well to do man of the world'. The reality is far different.

He has definitely not lost his job and he is paying maintenance on time.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would tell your ex-husband a straight "No".

I cannot see any reason why he wants them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure