Why would anyone cycle to work?

Comments

• andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    lisyloo wrote: »
    Anyone else think it's better to avoid them rather than merely try to reduce the consequences? It's not one or the other, but I would have thought avoidance was better than reduction which may or may not be effective in any individual scenario.

Definitely. While I have expressed my view that I'd never cycle without a helmet, I would definitely agree that avoidance and anticipation are far more important.
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    edited 10 October 2017 at 1:04PM
    andrewf75 wrote: »
    Definitely. While I have expressed my view that I'd never cycle without a helmet, I would definitely agree that avoidance and anticipation are far more important.

I agree. I also cycle 14 of my 20 a day on the Thames footpath.

However I can not always prevent dogs, foxes,cats running in front of me.
    Children suddenly changing direction, on or off a bike or scooter.
    People on bikes who ride the wrong way or with no lights at 5.00 am on a winters morning.
    The rain, snow, leafs or ice........I sometimes miss judge things or don't see.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,606 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    I agree. I also cycle 14 of my 20 a day on the Thames footpath.

However I can not always prevent dogs, foxes,cats running in front of me.
    Children suddenly changing direction, on or off a bike or scooter.
    People on bikes who ride the wrong way or with no lights at 5.00 am on a winters morning.
    The rain, snow, leafs or ice........I sometimes miss judge things or don't see.

Out of interest how many times have those scenarios caused you to hit your head?

Not pre-judging, just wanting to get educated.
  • scd3scd4 wrote: »
    20 miles a shift for the last four years. 14 miles of that on the Thames footpath. Not a car insight. Plenty of foxes and the odd seal along the Thames.

a buddy of mine ended up off work for 3 days after having a run in with a cross goose on a towpath on his bike, he anticipated the direction of its movement, unfortunately the goose exercised its prerogative to change its mind. poor lad got laughed at quite a bit.
    saving for more holidays
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    You are barking up the wrong tree.

I prefer Prosecco. I never said they did not, it's just not something I worry about and still dont. If people think they are safer not wearing one then its fine. Now what??

Ohh and I pay for other people's pension including a private one. Lets salute that.

Presumably though you remain thin enough, fit enough and smoke free enough to be able to expect to live long enough to lift your pension. They won't, despite voluntarily paying all that tobacco duty that you don't.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • qwert_yuiop
    flybynight wrote: »
    a buddy of mine ended up off work for 3 days after having a run in with a cross goose on a towpath on his bike, he anticipated the direction of its movement, unfortunately the goose exercised its prerogative to change its mind. poor lad got laughed at quite a bit.

A young man in Belfast ran into a small dog a few years back and suffered a fatal liver tear when the handlebar got him in the belly. Must have been a unique form of road death.
  • lisyloo
    They won't, despite voluntarily paying all that tobacco duty that you don't.

Unfortunately this isn't true, certainly not on an individual basis.
    We have found ways to keep people alive with diabetes (from being overweight) and COPD (from smoking) and even prolong their lives if they get lung cancer. However they will need expensive medications, treatments and care and may have to retire early due to ill-health making them more likely to rely on benefits.

It's certainly not true on a individual basis that if you do X then Y will happen even if it's statistically more likely and we are keeping people alive with various conditions - smoking, obeisity, HIV, cancer are no longer a death sentence.

Oh and lots of people bring cigarettes in from abroad - legally or illegally and don't pay the UK tax on them.
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    edited 10 October 2017 at 3:37PM
    Out of interest how many times have those scenarios caused you to hit your head?

Not pre-judging, just wanting to get educated.

None yet............however I have worked in the oil game as an operator for 20 years and other than a handful of times not needed the service of a hard hat. Let me know what all that proves.

Ohhh and never needed the service of my house alarm or a smoke detector. Do you think I have been wasting my money? lol

Have I got to hit my head every month then to make it worth my while??.........how about every three month or once a year??
  • qwert_yuiop
    Unfortunately this isn't true, certainly not on an individual basis.
    We have found ways to keep people alive with diabetes (from being overweight) and COPD (from smoking) and even prolong their lives if they get lung cancer. However they will need expensive medications, treatments and care and may have to retire early due to ill-health making them more likely to rely on benefits.

It's certainly not true on a individual basis that if you do X then Y will happen even if it's statistically more likely and we are keeping people alive with various conditions - smoking, obeisity, HIV, cancer are no longer a death sentence.

Oh and lots of people bring cigarettes in from abroad - legally or illegally and don't pay the UK tax on them.

Look it up. The Slovak government was advised a few years ago that an effective way to balance the books was to stop discouraging smoking. Didn't go down well with the health campaigners.
  • lisyloo
    None yet............however I have worked in the oil game as an operator for 20 years and other than a handful of times not needed the service of a hard hat. Let me know what all that proves.

Ohhh and never needed the service of my house alarm or a smoke detector. Do you think I have been wasting my money? lol

Have I got to hit my head every month then to make it worth my while??.........how about every three month or once a year??

It's a good point (which wasn't necessary to repeat :-)

The point I was making was about likelihood (which may vary depending on where you cycle).
    The other thing one needs to consider is consequences.
    So for example if you were a young healthy parent then death might be unlikely in the short term but the financial consequences could be devastating so it would be sensible to have life insurance.

I don't think the risk of a cycling accident and certainly one that would be helped by a polystyrene helmet is very high at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure