Is currenct account switch reliable?

Hi,
I have a question might seem useless. Is current account switch reliable?
I am concerned about one or more direct debit might fails if the switch is done on a date close to the payment. I understand that there is a sort of protection guaranteed by the scheme. However, a failed debit will trigger an overdue procedure against me by the debtor.

Moreover, does the creditor get the new account data with the switch procedure or I should consider updating my direct debit data after the switch?

thanks
S

Comments

• datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Yes it is reliable. You set the switch over date. The new details are automatically updated. If there was any issue then under the switch guarantee your new bank would be liable for any charges incurred.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 October 2017 at 11:46AM
    pilotamx wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am concerned about one or more direct debit might fails if the switch is done on a date close to the payment. I understand that there is a sort of protection guaranteed by the scheme. However, a failed debit will trigger an overdue procedure against me by the debtor.

Moreover, does the creditor get the new account data with the switch procedure or I should consider updating my direct debit data after the switch?

thanks
    S

It's reliable as far as it goes which is not far enough. The problem is direct debit payees who might establish a new direct debit on your new account so they have two direct debits in force, one transferred from your old bank and the new one. In addition they might cancel the next direct debit payment so you'll need to carefully check your credit card statement for the new bank appearing as a direct debit. Might still not help: I did that with my Tesco Bank credit card and made a manual payment because the old bank was shown on the statement and lo and behold they charged the direct debit to my new account so I paid double what I intended to pay.

In my recent switch to Starling Bank I had a particular problem with my American Express credit card direct debit. Upon receiving the switch notification Amex cancelled the direct debit fixed payment and demanded the full statement balance by direct debit which in my case was £649.48. Upon notifying Amex of their error they changed back to the fixed payment which would apply after the next statement so I still had to pay the full statement balance. Not difficult for me to pay but some people may have had difficulty.

So yes the 7 day switch works well but be prepared for hiccups with DD payees which could turn out to be expensive hiccups.
  • pilotamx
    pilotamx Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Well I think I should carefully select a date in which no payment is due (maybe + and - 3 days).
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi,

thanks
    S

I've not had a problem in half a dozen switches or more but most of these have been spare accounts so no great consequence if things went awry.

It would be wise to check things soon after the switch for your piece of mind however the bank to which you are switching should indemnify you against any issues and compensate you if you incur any fees or charges as a result of their error(s).
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Anthorn wrote: »
    ...you'll need to carefully check your credit card statement for the new bank appearing as a direct debit.
    I've had many credit cards over the years and on none of the statements have they ever told me which account they'll be calling the funds from. In my experience all they say is "Your payment will be collected from your nominated account on xx/xx/xx".
    pilotamx wrote:
    Well I think I should carefully select a date in which no payment is due (maybe + and - 3 days).
    That might not always work with credit cards. With many providers the DDI needs to be in place on the statement date, not the payment due date.
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    I'd allow 1 - 2 weeks.

When you switch your old DDs are cancelled and new ones are setup, this takes several working days depending on the payee and new bank. Furthermore DD payments take 3 working days to clear so are typically requested 3 days ahead of the due date, by which time the setup needs to have finished. And... depending on the payee, if a bill is produced while the new DD is being setup it may well require manual payment. So to avoid issues as far as possible you need to avoid billing dates and payment dates. I've fallen foul of this before.

Mistakes happen too. During my last switch my new bank informed my payees of the switch twice. The result being that they all tried to setup a new DD twice, with the second attempt failing because an identical DD already existed. The result? DD setup failed, manual payment required...
  • bigadaj
    dj1471 wrote: »
    I'd allow 1 - 2 weeks.

When you switch your old DDs are cancelled and new ones are setup, this takes several working days depending on the payee and new bank. Furthermore DD payments take 3 working days to clear so are typically requested 3 days ahead of the due date, by which time the setup needs to have finished. And... depending on the payee, if a bill is produced while the new DD is being setup it may well require manual payment. So to avoid issues as far as possible you need to avoid billing dates and payment dates. I've fallen foul of this before.

Mistakes happen too. During my last switch my new bank informed my payees of the switch twice. The result being that they all tried to setup a new DD twice, with the second attempt failing because an identical DD already existed. The result? DD setup failed, manual payment required...

But for a cass switch the bank to which you're moving your account is liable for any errors.
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    bigadaj wrote: »
    But for a cass switch the bank to which you're moving your account is liable for any errors.
    They are indeed, but you're still liable for closely monitoring your accounts/bills etc. and sorting out any issues that do occur with your payees.
  • Don80
    Don80 Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi. I have used the CASS and had no problems at all, everything was transferred within the 7 days. All my payments were made without problem. I may have been lucky with payment dates, but it worked for me. :-)
  • bigadaj
    dj1471 wrote: »
    They are indeed, but you're still liable for closely monitoring your accounts/bills etc. and sorting out any issues that do occur with your payees.

Yes but the OP seems to have focused on the issues and potential liabilities and penalties, these are covered by the receiving bank.

Everyone should be monitoring their bank accounts in any case, closely or not
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure