Cheery's country living adventure

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Huge bargains, huge plans. I like it :) have a great Sunday :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,709 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Thanks KC, you too :)

Getting there... slowly...

5.30-7
    [STRIKE]Swap jackets that are airing on the line[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Ring sister[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Plant out beans[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Plant out squash[/STRIKE]
    Water all the growing veg - [JUST DOING NOW]

7-7.30
    Bring in the jackets
    [STRIKE]Fold up as many shirts as I can and put into baskets to go into the attic[/STRIKE]

7.30-8.30
    Tidy living room
    Clean bathroom
    Clean kitchen
    General tidy
    Hoover everywhere

8.30-9.30
    [STRIKE]Nice garden pottering while it's still sunny[/STRIKE]

9.30-10
    Quick shower

10-10.30
    Flute practice for rehearsal tomorrow

10.30-11
    YNAB/banks
    Online tasks
    Blog post

Hmm, maybe I'm not making that much progress after all :o :rotfl: :rotfl: But house isn't THAT much of a tip :o and after all, it's not the Queen coming to visit tomorrow (or my mother) so I might just run the hoover round and she'll have to take us as she finds us (or - a better plan - I might just insist we stay in the garden... :rotfl: :rotfl: )

Right, best carry on watering before I lose momentum :o Then I'm going to come in and do some flute playing, run the hoover round, and then that might be it for the night :o
  • starnac
    starnac Posts: 5,917 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I know I'm late to the builder party but we've had a similar issue. We need a new toilet fitting, the plastic that holds the flush handle has broken so DH temporarily removed the top of the cistern so we could pull up the flush for a couple of days until his mate's son (who does bathrooms) could come and quote us for replacing the toilet (it's cemented to the floor so not an easy removal job). That was months ago. In fact it's been so long I can't remember how long ago it was. It could be more than a year ago!

Said mate's-son has since been to replace our boiler and made the "I'll be back to quote on the toilet next week" promise. That was 2 months ago maybe??? I'm so tempted to do it myself with DH who is pretty handy. I'm just worried what the state of the floor will be like when we take it out as the previous owners are known for their dodgy DIY escapades!!!

Anyway, sorry for hijacking.

I love your idea of splitting your tasks into time slots
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
    Overpayments £0/£200 not this month as need to put into savings instead
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I'm in shock... my builder turned up today and apparently he actually has some time/availability to get on with some work over the summer. So he's going to put up blinds, shelves and coat hooks today and then work out a plan for the utility room, external doors and odds and ends so they can be done.

One of the issues we're having is finding solid wood external doors. Solid doors are fine... but when you ask what they core is made of people start being vague. Often what you think is a wooden door turns out to be veneered. So it may take a while to source the right thing.
  • Cheery_Daff
    Gosh Greenbee, that is shocking indeed, but exciting! :j :j Hope you manage to find what you're looking for - bizarrely difficult sometimes!

Good grief starnac, it's difficult to know why people find it so hard to just do what they say, isn't it? If I behaved like that at work I wouldn't last long! Maybe there's just so much work out there they don't need it?

Speaking of which... we FINALLY had a text from useless Builder 1 yesterday. Basically saying it's unfair to drag it out any longer, he's not had a 'moment's peace' from work to sort out our quote (er, I thought quoting was *part* of work?), and therefore 'with a heavy heart' he's going to have to decline our kind offer to put work his way. Oh and apparently he's just realised how far our house is from his house, and he can't afford to be travelling all that way every day (despite him having already been there twice, and the fact that we said we'd pay both travel time and diesel costs).

Hey ho. At least he finally told us I suppose. I've not replied yet - tempted to tell him we gave up on him weeks ago. I'd LOVE to tell him we'd already got someone else lined up but sadly that isn't the case :rotfl:

Never mind!

In other MSE news... not spending much this week as I'm in a hotel with work all week (not staying over, just the daytimes). I suppose I'm spending more on diesel as I'm here every day, although it's not as far away as my normal office. But breakfast, lunch and snacks are provided :j

Brought my foldy bike with me so I can stop off on one of the trails on the way home for a bike ride - free exercise (and I'll park somewhere I can use my residents parking pass :D )

LOTS of lettuce growing in the garden at the minute :j Sadly we still have an iceberg to use up in the fridge :rotfl: but hopefully that'll be finished tonight and then we can move on to our own :j That's the only thing that's actually producing so far mind you :rotfl:

Nowt much else to report I don't think. Not done anything on prolific for ages as I haven't been looking :o Might have a sneaky peak today...

Have a cheery day folks :j
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Apparently there's a lettuce shortage, so maybe you should sell it?

I'm in a hotel too, but only for tonight.
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 4 July 2018 at 10:04PM
    No lettuce shortage here as we have over 50 growing at the moment:) All "cut and come again" Lollo Rosso. That way we can take off the outer leaves for hen and duck treat food and of course for our salads too. Just in case others didn't know if you grow the cut and come again varieties you just keep taking off the outer leaves and they will continue to grow back again for 4 cuts. So instead of having to pick a whole lettuce and only use up so much of it before it goes all limp you just pick what you need each time and they will keep going for ages and ages. Really cheap way of growing lettuce with less work involved. Lollo Rosso come in light green, red and purple so look really pretty in a flower bed or 3 to a pot with one of each colour.

Glad yours have come up ok Cheery. Just think of your next salad with your very own home grown lettuce. You just can't beat the freshness and taste of home grown:) Once you have tasted that it will encourage you to grow even more salad cos you can't beat the freshness of it.

Happy gardening cheery:) and everyone else that grows their own :)

Edwink x
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • starnac
    starnac Posts: 5,917 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edwink wrote: »
    Just in case others didn't know if you grow the cut and come again varieties you just keep taking off the outer leaves and they will continue to grow back again for 4 cuts. So instead of having to pick a whole lettuce and only use up so much of it before it goes all limp you just pick what you need each time and they will keep going for ages and ages. Really cheap way of growing lettuce with less work involved. Lollo Rosso come in light green, red and purple so look really pretty in a flower bed or 3 to a pot with one of each colour.

Edwink x

That is interesting to know. Thank you
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
    Overpayments £0/£200 not this month as need to put into savings instead
  • Cheery_Daff
    Morning all :hello:

Poor neglected diary :o Poor neglected YNAB and banks too but I'm at work so ignoring that til another time :eek:

I'm now eating my own lettuce :j :j Some of mine is cut and come again too Edwink, although it's packed so tightly in the tubs that at the minute I'm pulling whole ones out to give the others room to expand :rotfl: Eaten about 6 so far :j Once they get bigger and have a bit more room I'll start just harvesting leaves. Got enough smaller ones to start another planter too I think so I might just do that, and maybe sow a few seeds now to get some more later in the season :j

No sign of any other veg yet :rotfl: :o Well, two teensy tomatoes barely the size of peas :rotfl: Beans I planted out last week are finally getting over the shock and have started growing up the canes :j Everything was looking a bit yellow so I've given most of it a feed with organic liquid fertiliser stuff - never done that before but then I've never had a decent crop of veg before :rotfl: Planning to make my own feed next year but not quite there yet.

In the office today, for the first time in a fortnight :rotfl: I have been working, honest! :rotfl: Got here early enough for a free parking space by the door, and have brought my lunch with me, so shouldn't need to buy anything while I'm here :j Do need to pop to the shop on the way home but only for a specific couple of things....

Have a cheery day all :j
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Congratulations on the lettuce! And the beans, and the liquid fertiliser applied. It's really happening!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure