PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Champagne Lifestyle on a Lemonade Budget.

Comments

• lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Phew.......just spent the morning on Phase I of the bedroom declutter. I am shattered now and starving. I think I will call it a day

I am fasting today so will eat in a minute and then spend the afternoon pottering about, cooking a nice dinner, hang the paintings I bought and just generally sorting myself out. Give myself a facial and manicure.

Tomorrow I will start the room I laughingly call my study. (Junk room:rotfl:) then I will do Phase 2 of my bedroom next week. There's a chest of drawers in there I would like to get rid of but first I have to rehome the Contents but it will be nice to empty it so I can remove it and enjoy the extra space.

I am definitely on a roll with this decluttering milarky.

Grey and murky here today. Not especially cold but not particularly inviting out so I am happy to stay home and crack on.

Sootyoea......what a lovely and generous thing to do. Hope the party goes well. Have a great time.

Right time for some brunch. A healthy omelette and some coffee.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    A lovely "champagne moment" spent with good friends yesterday evening sitting round the fire eating "picky bits" and sharing a bottle of wine. We talked and laughed until the early hours and sorted the world out at least twice! A cheap & cheerful evening in the scheme of things but such fun and I think it did us all good.:)
  • mrsmac10
    mrsmac10 Posts: 4,676 Forumite
    sootypea wrote: »
    Good Morning, My champagne moment today will be throwing a birthday party for three homeless children who have birthdays this month. There will be about 30 homeless children attending. We have managed to get all the food, birthday cakes and presents for free as well which is a bonus.
    I better explain I work with homeless families and a project called the birthday star project which aims to throw a birthday party once a month for homeless children.
    Wish me luck I'm going to be knackered when I get home.

That’s brought a lump to my throat. I was going to say that’s so sad but really it’s so nice that your charity does this. Take care
  • sheilavw
    sheilavw Posts: 1,600 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    my champagne moment was being treated to a lovely lunch out with my youngest daughter today. from the pub window we could see the majestic Pendle Hill even if it was a little misty. We are lucky to have such lovely countryside on our doorstep
  • lessonlearned
    candygirl wrote: »
    The Favourite was really good.Funny in parts , n Olivia Coleman was brill as Queen Anne.The only downside was some of the background music that got a bit repetitive :(

Champagne moment tonight.....seeing The Favourite. If you like your comedies dark and slightly sinister then this is a cracking film.

Agree about the music and I did feel the use of modern words and terminology for the dialogue was a bit jarring at times. In fact the script was a bit patchy.

(Warning dont see it if lesbian sex scenes offend you).

But I thought all three female leads were brilliant, with Coleman excelling.

Not terribly historically accurate but then historical films do tend to bend the truth a little for dramatic affect. But on the whole it was a fairly accurate portrayal of the role of women at that time, the (lack) of choice available to them (even Queens). The visuals were stunning, especially the room settings.

A fascinating look at power, politics and corruption......darkly comic and very thought provoking.
  • lessonlearned
    caronc wrote: »
    A lovely "champagne moment" spent with good friends yesterday evening sitting round the fire eating "picky bits" and sharing a bottle of wine. We talked and laughed until the early hours and sorted the world out at least twice! A cheap & cheerful evening in the scheme of things but such fun and I think it did us all good.:)

Sounds lovely.....you can't beat time spent with good friends.
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Champagne moment tonight.....seeing The Favourite. If you like your comedies dark and slightly sinister then this is a cracking film.

Agree about the music and I did feel the use of modern words and terminology for the dialogue was a bit jarring at times. In fact the script was a bit patchy.

(Warning dont see it if lesbian sex scenes offend you).

But I thought all three female leads were brilliant, with Coleman excelling.

Not terribly historically accurate but then historical films do tend to bend the truth a little for dramatic affect. But on the whole it was a fairly accurate portrayal of the role of women at that time, the (lack) of choice available to them (even Queens). The visuals were stunning, especially the room settings.

A fascinating look at power, politics and corruption......darkly comic and very thought provoking.

A few old women walked out when I saw it .The C word really disturbed me , but it was an amazing plot x
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Nothing exciting in my world. Trip for minimal groceries. We are going away next month and want to empty out the downstairs freezer before we go.

So, feet up, warm house, Collie nearby, and nibbles. We recovered a shrimp ring from the freezer that never made it to the Christmas table, so between that and an unopened Marks and Sparks Christmas cake that I brought back from Scotland, we are having a tea time treat that is definitely champagney.
  • lessonlearned
    candygirl wrote: »
    A few old women walked out when I saw it .The C word really disturbed me , but it was an amazing plot x

The odd thing is whilst the c word is now deemed to be very offensive and is often described as the worst swear word, historically that wasn't always the case. It was actually in common parlance at the time, certainly "robust" but not beyond the pale like it is now. In that sense the dialogue was quite accurate. It was when they used words like OK that it really jarred. :rotfl:

There were quite a few modern phrases used that were just totally inappropriate. I wasn't expecting it to be all Ye Olde Englishe because that would just go over our heads and be unitelligible but I did think the script was out of kIlter at times. A shame because they took such care to get the costumes and interiors right.

I know I know - when it comes to films I'm just an old pedant. :rotfl: but I like to see everything done properly.

Still it Just goes to show though how language changes and evolves over time.

Yes I can imagine a few older ladies finding it difficult to watch. My mum would have coped and just shrugged off the excesses but my MIL would have had an attack of the vapours.

But they were bawdy robust times, times of excess, morals and social mores were very different then so I don't really see why some people have been so shocked by the film, surely they must know something about the licentiousness of that era.

Maybe they were expecting a sanitised "Carry On Queen Anne" kind of caper. :rotfl::rotfl:
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    The odd thing is whilst the c word is now deemed to be very offensive and is often described as the worst swear word, historically that wasn't always the case. It was actually in common parlance at the time, certainly "robust" but not beyond the pale like it is now. In that sense the dialogue was quite accurate. It was when they used words like OK that it really jarred. :rotfl:

There were quite a few modern phrases used that were just totally inappropriate. I wasn't expecting it to be all Ye Olde Englishe because that would just go over our heads and be unitelligible but I did think the script was out of kIlter at times. A shame because they took such care to get the costumes and interiors right.

I know I know - when it comes to films I'm just an old pedant. :rotfl: but I like to see everything done properly.

Still it Just goes to show though how language changes and evolves over time.

Yes I can imagine a few older ladies finding it difficult to watch. My mum would have coped and just shrugged off the excesses but my MIL would have had an attack of the vapours.

But they were bawdy robust times, times of excess, morals and social mores were very different then so I don't really see why some people have been so shocked by the film, surely they must know something about the licentiousness of that era.

Maybe they were expecting a sanitised "Carry On Queen Anne" kind of caper. :rotfl::rotfl:
    I'm not a prude, but think the C word was constantly used for effect, but I realise it had different connotations back then .I think the "love affairs" were common at that time too :D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport