Any point in a Cash buffer in Pension Drawdown Account?

Options

Comments

• coyrls
    coyrls Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The issue with (i) is that a Purchased Life Annuity is unlikely to be good value. As I understand it, the purchased annuity market is very small and people who buy purchased annuities tend to live longer than average.
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    coyrls wrote: »
    The issue with (i) is that a Purchased Life Annuity is unlikely to be good value. As I understand it, the purchased annuity market is very small and people who buy purchased annuities tend to live longer than average.

Aha! So buy a PLA and you'll live longer! :D
  • peterg1965
    peterg1965 Posts: 2,153 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Audaxer wrote: »
    If I was still alive after 30 years of retirement but had run down my pension pot completely and my only income was my State Pension, I wouldn't be very happy.

Yes, but as I stated in a previous post, my drawdown pension is about 30% of my pension income (mainly DB),and this % will reduce over the years to a much lower figure. When my SP starts, I have calculated that the drawdown element of my income will be about 18% of my income. So if it runs out when I am in my late 80’s, it’s no problem.
  • Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    Options
    peterg1965 wrote: »
    Yes, but as I stated in a previous post, my drawdown pension is about 30% of my pension income (mainly DB),and this % will reduce over the years to a much lower figure. When my SP starts, I have calculated that the drawdown element of my income will be about 18% of my income. So if it runs out when I am in my late 80’s, it’s no problem.
    Fair enough, I suppose it depends on individual circumstances, like for example if you have a spouse that would benefit from your pension pot if you go first, or if someone wants to leave an inheritance to children.

I know spending should go down in your 80s, but I think more income could be required later in life if you have care needs.
  • Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    Options
    kidmugsy wrote: »

(iii) Consider whether there's any useful advantage in deferring drawing the State Pension for a couple of years. You get an extra 5.8% for each year of deferral, CPI-linked.
    As the percentage is now only 5.8% just wondering how many years it would take to break even after deferring for a year?
  • green_man
    green_man Posts: 531 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The scenario it actually helps in is allowing me a stress free retirement. I am incredibly risk averse, so I find volatility and market drops very stressful (I have learned this over several years). I probably have what is called obsessive-compulsive personality disorder, which means I need to feel that I am in control all the time.

I also have enough money accumulated to last us through a 30 year plus retirement provided what I have invested today matches inflation (I have done a detailed spreadsheet that forecasts all income and costs through a 32 year period).

I understand your concerns and everyone should pursue a strategy they they are comfortable with, however the research I posted before does indicate that holding cash actually increases risk in all their modelled scenarios!

I may be in a similar position to you in that if I turned all my investments into cash I should have enough for my needs for the rest of my life, (though I’m only 53) yet as per a comment above that means I can afford to risk a 100% equities approach because I could ‘afford’ an equities crash. So that would be two completely different approaches to two very similar scenarios - interesting.
  • green_man
    Options
    tacpot12 wrote: »
    Does this mean that a cash buffer is for advanced investor only? I don't know, but I think a DIY investor should evaluate the evidence for the benefit of a cash buffer, and consider in practice whether they feel they could operate a cash buffer to produce any advantage. It does complicate things if one also has a bond buffer as well, although the rule of using cash, then bonds, then equities when equities have crashed is simple enough.

For me, managing my retirement portfolio is not only a necessity but also an opportunity to learn and to experiment. I think my pension planning has enough slack in it to allow me to experiment with the idea of a cash buffer, but I'm not currently set-up to monitor the difference this makes vs. having no buffer.

Indeed this is where I am, I’m trying to decide if cash buffer useful or not. My situation also likely has some slack/pessimism built in, so does this mean I can afford to go all equities, or does it mean I can afford to forgo some upside and implement such a buffer. I’m coming to the conclusion that it probably means both and I should just go with what I’m comfortable with. Of course you need to be confident that if you do go 100% equities that in the event of a 50-60% crash you don’t freak out and sell up!
  • Triumph13
    Triumph13 Posts: 1,730 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I think the real question isn't 'Should I have a cash buffer?' it's 'What is my tactic going to be if markets go down?' A cash buffer may be a useful way to mitigate stress, but only if you have a plan on how to use it that you are comfortable with.
    In my view there are 3 basic responses to a market fall:
    1. Carry on regardless and trust that all will be well / accept that there is now a higher risk of things not going well.
    2. Reduce your spending.
    3. Take part of your income from different sources eg cash buffers or part time work.
    You need to have a plan that works with both your financial position and your personal psychology. Personally I plan to use a combination of the last two using a 1 year cash buffer to cover half of any shortfall and spending reduction the other half. That would cope with a 40% fall sustained for 5 years which is sufficient to let me sleep at night.
  • green_man
    Options
    LHW99 wrote: »
    IMO the key point could be that the OP wants a withdrawal rate of 2.5%, which is likely to be sustainable from dividends / natural yield.
    If your requirement is nearer 4% of your pot, then cash reserves may well be a useful tactic.

Indeed, if within 100% equities it should be comfortably such. Yet others say if you don’t need the growth why risk 100% equities! It’s an interesting dilemma
  • OldMusicGuy
    OldMusicGuy Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    Options
    green_man wrote: »
    I understand your concerns and everyone should pursue a strategy they they are comfortable with, however the research I posted before does indicate that holding cash actually increases risk in all their modelled scenarios!
    What you're missing is my "bucket" strategy. I am not following the example set out in the article. I have a significant amount of money currently invested 50/50, which I think is safe for a long-term retirement. My cash buffer does not require me to reduce that to 10/40/50. I have always separated the cash out in my mind and will use that to fund early years of retirement at no risk. FWIW I actually moved 100K from cash into funds in Feb last year (two days before the correction!). Even I felt I was holding too much cash.

Now I could put all my money into more equity and bonds but as I explained, my personality type really would not like that. The downside is just too much for me to contemplate. And if it was wildly successful, I would end up with too much money anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure