Which woodburning stove is the best?

Options

Comments

• babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Me OCD? Not quite lol but ... I can take a bit of dust and that kind of stuff but wouldn't want to be doing much extra to what I do now.

I suppose our main consideration is if it is more economical that the gas we are burning now. I've read different accounts but they seem confusing to me. Hubs is retired and will now be at home longer throughout the day so the costs are only going to be going up.

People have said that they seem to be much more efficient than gas and our house has solid upstairs walls and a chimney breast just waiting to be opened up so in some ways maybe it would be the right decision for us as thats how the house was designed to be heated back in the 1930's when the house was built.

Big expense though :eek:so that equals lots of big thinking to be done.
    :hello: :wave: please play nicely children !
  • Greenfires
    Greenfires Posts: 635 Forumite
    Options
    Unless you have a constant supply of free firewood - and I don't mean old doors and bits of skirting - then gas is almost always going to be cheaper if you're on mains gas rather than LPG.

And I'm a big supporter of woodburning by the way.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    babyblooz wrote: »
    Do stoves make the room dusty? I read on another forum that they give out a sooty kind of dust that collects on curtain rails and picture rails etc. I would have thought that everything would have been carried up and out of the chimney.

Has anyone experienced this because I really wouldn't want to be decorating every six months?

I haven't found this to be a problem since we had our stove - certainly nothing compared to the old open fires.

As alleycat` says, we do get some dust/fine ash around the stove itself but that's all.
  • Lottie2
    Options
    Dartmoor W5
    Hi Mrs Davo, Welshbird & alscrackers I'm also looking at a Dartmoor W5 & was hoping one or more of you could give some feedback on how you're getting on - user reviews are still very scarce.
    Many thanks
  • rrtt
    rrtt Posts: 227 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lottie2 wrote: »
    Dartmoor W5
    Hi Mrs Davo, Welshbird & alscrackers I'm also looking at a Dartmoor W5 & was hoping one or more of you could give some feedback on how you're getting on - user reviews are still very scarce.
    Many thanks

Hi Lottie - as you say user reviewers are scarce, have you considered Woodwarm stoves? Have just moved house and loved my old 8.0 Kw of theirs so much, had it dismantled and brought with. Several openings in new house, and as they no longer make that particular one, have also bought their Fire Wren (v. small) and Fire Gem.

All are excellent solid build quality, a dream to light and maintain, excellent customer service too, can't recommend highly enough. I'm not connected to the firm in any way except as a happy customer!
  • Hl6866
    Hl6866 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    timtak wrote: »
    We have a Clearview Vision and we love it. Easy to light. Loads of heat. Good control. No leaks. Durable. Clean chimney. And the famous clear view of the burning fire which looks slow motion and is better than TV.

So while I love my Clearview, they are expensive -- about four times the price of a similar sized box. Before purchasing another I think I will experiment with adding another layer of glazing to a cheap stove. I am not suggesting that alone will make it a Clearview, but it may reduce soot deposits on the glass.

Hi, we just had a same model of clearview installed two weeks ago and are still learning to use it. Can I please ask after initial light up, when do you reload and how many logs do you then use for reloading?

Thanks
  • Sheldor
    Sheldor Posts: 73 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone got a Beltane Chew or know anyone who has? They look to be a decent price and made in Somerset but that means nothing if they're no good.
    I'm getting very weary of wood burner hunting but don't want to spend more than I have to.
  • Greenfires
    Greenfires Posts: 635 Forumite
    Options
    Made in Somerset? Or imported to a shed in Somerset? If I owned a stove company manufacturing stoves in Britain, I'd make sure the fact was all over my website. I think it's a bit poor that so many stove companies are so cagey about their products personally - and I always see phrases like "British designed" and "manufactured by an established company with a history of stove production" as "we got a container load of these from China at £50 a pop".

You can spend how much or how little you like at the end of the day - but with stoves at least, it often really is a case of you get what you pay for - and whilst the attraction of a cheap stove may be hard to resist - actually having to live with it may be a different matter altogether.
  • Sheldor
    Sheldor Posts: 73 Forumite
    edited 26 March 2015 at 10:36AM
    Options
    Well exactly - and as i can't find any reviews of them on t'internet I'm asking here.

What I'm after is a sub 5k (output) timeless looking model. I don't want anything cottagey or anything that will look out of date 5 years down the line.

Yeoman cl5 nice but too spenny. Loxton 5 OK but someone said the paint peeled off the top. Morso 04 OK but the price seems to be going up a lot and disappearing off websites.
  • Skulls
    Skulls Posts: 369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just a quick update, I've now had my Burley Hollywell (5kW) for 2 winters and am still very happy with it. I have the cold air feed connected and still only used one pack of Verdo logs/day on the coldest of days. This fire has kept my main lounge nice and toasty. Lounge is an 'L' shape with open plan kitchen. Main room 4m x 6m with kitchen 3m x 2m. Ceiling at lowest point is 3m reaching up to a sky light at apex 5m high.

This Burley replaced a Villager AL, which was my second log burner, a good fire but not in the same league as the Burley.

The best thing about it still. is the dreamy flames it creates.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure