Does paying my partner's debt make me liable for it?

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping I've posted this in the right place as I'm looking for some advice.

My boyfriend has a debt and has had a statutory demand served on him, but he isn't in a position to make any payments. I've offered to make payments for him until he is back on his feet and the lender have accepted this. The credit agreement is solely in his name.

What I need to confirm is - if I send a payment by bank transfer to the lender directly from my account, does this make me jointly liable in anyway for the debt?

I'm assuming no, but I just want to make sure since they will be able to see the name on the account that it has been sent from. My BF does not have an active bank account due to financial difficulties to make the payment himself.

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• No, you don't become liable.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    However the institution you are sending the money to will be able to see your bank account number and sort code and in theory could try and take extra money from it

I'm not saying that they would or that they are allowed to but just something to bear in mind
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    18cc wrote: »
    However the institution you are sending the money to will be able to see your bank account number and sort code and in theory could try and take extra money from it

I'm not saying that they would or that they are allowed to but just something to bear in mind

If she pays by faster payments then they cannot use these to claim funds from her account.
    However if she gives them her debit card details there have been dozens of posts over the years when they have helped themselves (without authority).
  • dealer_wins
    dealer_wins Posts: 7,334 Forumite
    As others have said send any payments by online transfer, dont ever make a card/DD payment
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Even if you pay by faster payment they can use the details to set up a direct debit and take money - not that they would be 'allowed' to but you just don't want to risk it.

You could of course claim back under the DD guarantee if it happened.
  • Get yourself something like a Revolut account. Make the payment from that on one of the free virtual prepaid mastercards they supply and then cancel the card the second the payment clears.

Good luck to them charging it again :)
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    In your place I would pay the money into your boyfriend's account and then let him pay the lender himself (supervised by you if necessary). I would not have spoken to the lender and told them that I was making payments on his behalf.
  • Make the payment from that on one of the free virtual prepaid mastercards they supply and then cancel the card the second the payment clears.

You don't even need to cancel it.

Just don't load any more money onto it.
  • Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    You don't even need to cancel it.

Just don't load any more money onto it.

Aye tis true :)

Though tbh it's only a button click to cancel the virtual card so I'd be doing that so I don't have to see it in my revolut app anymore :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure