Travel insurance

Just after a bit of advise if possible.

So had a holiday booked with my grandad, 2 days in to the holiday he had an accident and broke his leg. Currently we are in hospital waiting for operation tomorrow. We are using his EHIC card for the immediate cover and then in surance will take over after this.

So at this stage I have sorted things with the insurance they know everything. I have gave them access to my grandads medical records etc.

They are being a little vague with everything.

What is the norm. Currently they say they will cover the cost of the operation and transportation back to the uk when he is cleared for travel. They also say that it covers for me to stay with him for care.
But they haven’t really told me what I need to do now.

I guess I just get all receipts etc.
another question. Do they cover the cost of the holiday normal. We had 10 days booked and only got to used 1 1/2 days.

Thanks for your help in advance

Alastair

Comments

• uk1
    uk1 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What is the name of the insurer?
  • So I am now dealing with people under the email address
    Operations@emergencyassistance

The name of the insurer is holiday extras

Thanks again

Alastair
  • uk1
    Alastair, I was just checking that their claims weren't being handled by the TIF group which might be problematic.

The only advice has to be to chat through with Emergency Assistance exactly what you need to do as complying with anything suggested anywhere other than their instructions would be speculative and potentially problematic. Good luck.
  • Ao I think for the medical treatment everything seems to be working emergency assistance.

Now hey say as part of the cover it covers 1 other to stay and care. But this i have been informed that I may need to contact claims @ tifgroup. And I may be able to claim back.

I’m concerned because hey don’t give me precise instruction to follow they just saying things like you may be able to claim it back later. “Yes of course it covers you “ etc etc
  • uk1
    Alastairm wrote: »
    Ao I think for the medical treatment everything seems to be working emergency assistance.

Now hey say as part of the cover it covers 1 other to stay and care. But this i have been informed that I may need to contact claims @ tifgroup. And I may be able to claim back.

I’m concerned because hey don’t give me precise instruction to follow they just saying things like you may be able to claim it back later. “Yes of course it covers you “ etc etc

There was a purpose for my earlier question and I am unclear why TIF group are involved.

I am afraid that TIF Group has been problematic and is currently being investigated for fraud as a result of a Times investigationlate last year and complaints to the regulators and ombudsman.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.tifgroup.co.uk
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    TIF group were amazing when my daughter broke her leg in Africa.
  • uk1
    CHRISSYG wrote: »

It is excellent that you received good treatment and as a result have posted many times on several threads about your experience with respect to your satisfaction with The Post Office policy. The fact is that there is a fraud enuiry, people have died through their negligence, and as the link above illustrates both hospitals and insured are having an unacceptable problems with them, hospitals are refusing their customers treatment, and perhaps one ought in those circumstances be a touch less anxious to recommend them to others.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    uk1 wrote: »
    It is excellent that you received good treatment and as a result have posted many times on several threads about your experience with respect to your satisfaction with The Post Office policy. The fact is that there is a fraud enuiry, people have died through their negligence, and as the link above illustrates both hospitals and insured are having an unacceptable problems with them, hospitals are refusing their customers treatment, and perhaps one ought in those circumstances be a touch less anxious to recommend them to others.

Maybe rather than jumping on the haters bandwagon you should wait for the investigation to conclude .

Yes I have posted it’s called a balanced view !
  • uk1
    edited 19 April 2019 at 1:02PM
    Maybe rather than jumping on the haters bandwagon you should wait for the investigation to conclude .

Yes I have posted it’s called a balanced view !

There is no need for name-calling.

I haven't jumped on a haters bandwagon and my reponse to your repeated posts about your positive experience I feel was measured and simply a balancing response to ensure people make an informed choice and avoid problems that the majority who report claims experience seem to have had. There has also been the untreated serious injuries and death and debt collectors pursuing TIF and their insured when TIF failed to adequately handle claims. The only good reviews appear to be mostly from people who have not made a claim but who have found them easy to buy from. If you just look at claims experience bad ratings are probably 95%+. Some of the positive reviews TIF admitted in the investigation were made or initiated by their own staff.

Buying insurance is a matter of trust about what might happen if you unfortunately need to make a claim. Making an informed choice about who to trust is one of common sense about avoiding those that have an overwhelmingly bad reputation and in in TIF's case additionally being investigated for both fraud and deaths caused by medical negligence. I think it an important function of MSE to help members make an infomed rather than ill-informed choice. You believe it better that people are better served if they are unaware of the problems and simply rely on your repeated posts?

Ignoring the Trustpilot score of over 80% rating them poor or bad and less than 20% rating them as average or better until the fraud and medical negligence claims have been concluded seems to me to be an illogical decision if their are other alternatives with a better reputation and members of ABI.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.tifgroup.co.uk

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46274918
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic

Unfortunately the majority disagree with you with so many negative reviews and currently under investigation, maybe you were the lucky few before they got found out
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport