Self Assessment disappeared !

Options
My Mrs and I filed our self assessments for year ending March 2018 on 10th May 2018.
Upon getting the tax figures, we Paid the taxes using HMRC's online portal. We got email receipts etc for the payments made.

Now my Mrs has got a notice saying that she has been fined a 100£ Penalty for not filing Self Assessments before the 31 Jan 2019 Deadline. So we are a bit surprised. On HMRC's portal, we see that there is no tax return for last year. It's just disappeared !

However the Portal shows the tax calculations for last year and it also shows all the taxes paid !
Unfortunately, we cannot find the confirmation email that you get when you submit your self assessment online and we did not download a copy as well thinking it's safer on hmrc's website (lesson learnt). :(

For now, We have paid the 100£ penalty.

What would you suggest we do ?

Comments

• 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    without the "IR Mark" (submission reference number) as proof of submission, it appears to be a case of your computer against their computer

not that unusual. In our case I'm still waiting for them to show a tax return submitted last November for which they agree they received it but it is "lost in the system" and has been referred to "technical" who, needless to say, have not been in touch.
  • mustoofa
    mustoofa Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is really alarming. I never expected HMRC's IT to be this shoddy. I am now downloading everything on their website to my computer...
  • dales1
    dales1 Posts: 230 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    mustoofa wrote: »
    the Portal shows the tax calculations for last year and it also shows all the taxes paid !
    Well if those HMRC calculations have included her CORRECT income details for that year (and assuming those details include income sources and amounts known only to herself and not HMRC because she is in self-assessment) then those figures can only have come from her tax return. Yet HMRC say they have received no tax return at all (hence the penalty).

If all this is the case, then you seem to have rock-solid grounds for appealing the penalty.
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    The op may have started to complete the details but not actually have submitted the final version?
  • mustoofa
    Options
    That was my first thought as well. But I clearly remember submitting it. Also, as @dales1 mentioned above, the figures can't come on their own. Plus me paying the exact tax on it !
  • uknick
    uknick Posts: 1,624 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd write to HMRC enclosing proof of payment, e.g bank statement extract, Can't see how they'd argue against that.
  • mustoofa
    Options
    I have appealed against the penalty. Lets see what they come back with. I'll post the outcomes here.
  • 01afraser4
    01afraser4 Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am assuming that our wife is not a partner in a partnership? That can often confuse matters as a late filing penalty is issued to each named partner if a partnership return is filed late despite their own personal tax return being filed.

Other than that, I cannot imagine how your wife has a tax calculation without a return being held. Was the return potentially unlogged due to missing information?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    01afraser4 wrote: »
    I am assuming that our wife is not a partner in a partnership? That can often confuse matters as a late filing penalty is issued to each named partner if a partnership return is filed late despite their own personal tax return being filed.

Other than that, I cannot imagine how your wife has a tax calculation without a return being held. Was the return potentially unlogged due to missing information?

The calculation will be available to view whether finally submitted or not.

The real question is, when one logs in, whether there is a submission date alongside the year in question. Furthermore - did the op receive an e-mail to confirm receipt?
  • mustoofa
    Options
    The calculation will be available to view whether finally submitted or not."
    I don't think that's true because the calculations won't be presented/confirmed until you have submitted the returns?

I cannot upload an image here, but if you log into Self Assessment and on the left hand side, click on View Account > Tax years, this is what you get.

Tax year overview

Please select the appropriate tax year you wish to view a summary for from the drop-down menu and click 'Go'.

Tax year ending:

Income Tax Status : UK You can also view tax returns due/received by following Tax return options.

Tax year ending 05 Apr 2018.

This is a copy of the information held on your official online Self Assessment tax account with HM Revenue and Customs.
    • Print your tax year overview

Please note: To view a breakdown of an amount, follow the appropriate link in the 'Description' column.
    Description helpIcon.gif
    Amount (£)
    Tax xxxx.xx

Surcharges 0.00

Interest 0.00

Penalties 100.00

Sub total xxxx.xx (This total includes the Penalty now)

Less payments for this year xxxx.xx

Less other adjustments 0.00

Total 100.00
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills