x box locked with family code...help

I recently bought an x box second hand, its locked for games of 15 and above with a 4 digit family code...the lady I bought it off cant remember the code...Ive tried all the you tube hacks to overide it that I can find with no luck....I rang microsoft UK and went through about 40 questions with an automated person until they finally told me to go online with my e mail to unlock it....I dont have an e mail either as she cant remember that.....her son has been away at uni for last 4 years and its sat in the cupboard till she decided to sell......Can anyone help please??

Comments

• poggs
    poggs Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Confused here?

Why not simply factory reset it and create a new gamer tag that is for adults?

THe only reason not to do this is if the previous owner has games linked to their account that you want to erm. steal?

To reset

If you're ready to reset your console to the factory default settings, follow these steps:
    Press the Xbox button to open the guide.
    Select Settings.
    Select All Settings.
    Select System.
    Select Console info & updates.
    Select Reset console.

Then when you restart, just create yourself a new gamer tag and you're sorted.
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,400 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Have you tried 1111, 0000, or 1234. Sounds daft but they are pretty common pins on devices like this.
  • jillyjacks
    jillyjacks Posts: 443 Forumite
    edited 26 February 2019 at 6:34PM
    poggs wrote: »
    Confused here?

Why not simply factory reset it and create a new gamer tag that is for adults?

THe only reason not to do this is if the previous owner has games linked to their account that you want to erm. steal?

To reset

If you're ready to reset your console to the factory default settings, follow these steps:
    Press the Xbox button to open the guide.
    Select Settings.
    Select All Settings.
    Select System.
    Select Console info & updates.
    Select Reset console.

Then when you restart, just create yourself a new gamer tag and you're sorted.

I kind of take offence to this:( I have no intention of stealing anybodys games...I bought the console for my grandkids to play games on...not to "steal" anything....your advice is much appreciated but unfortunately it isnt very helpful, after I select system there isnt an option for console info and updates...it says
    Xbox Home
    Sign in 1 profile
    Create profile
    download profile
    open tray

so does anyone have any more ideas how I can reset back to factory settings please?
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    jillyjacks wrote: »
    I kind of take offence to this:( I have no intention of stealing anybodys games...I bought the console for my grandkids to play games on...not to "steal" anything....your advice is much appreciated but unfortunately it isnt very helpful, after I select system there isnt an option for console info and updates...it says
    Xbox Home
    Sign in 1 profile
    Create profile
    download profile
    open tray

so does anyone have any more ideas how I can reset back to factory settings please?

This an Xbox One?
  • poggs
    poggs Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    jillyjacks wrote: »
    Xbox Home
    Sign in 1 profile
    Create profile
    download profile
    open tray

ach I was only kidding :rotfl:

You can follow a number of youtube guides on resetting.

however lifewire has the best guide - imho

https://www.lifewire.com/reset-xbox-one-4153013

Once you've reset, its just like starting up the xbox for the 1st time.

Create a new user, set it at adult and buy some games for it. (you wont be able to use the games that were on the box previously as that would be stealing and you take offence at that :D )

if its an xbox 360 you've got, try

https://www.wikihow.com/Reset-an-Xbox-360
  • OP, sounds like it is a 360. XB1 has only been out 6 years, and not likely to be resigned to a cupboard after 2 years (to have been sat there for 4 years). As above, poggs has your answer.
  • jillyjacks
    thanks for trying to help but resetting to factory settings doesnt fix my problem....its got a family code on it put there by the previous owner...
    this is what the link above says...................

owner had a passcode enabled and didn't remove it before selling it, or you don't remember the answer to your security question, you'll need to call Xbox Support to get a master reset passcode.

I tried the online support but it says to log on to microsoft account....again I dont have this info.......does anyone have a number please I can call to speak to someone about removing the parental lock??
  • marcarm
    marcarm Posts: 1,205 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    https://support.xbox.com/en-GB/contact-us

Go through the options and you should be able to chat with an online agent
  • jillyjacks
    thank you...eventually managed to speak to an online agent and reset the x box.....thanks everyone
  • Browniez
    Browniez Posts: 16 Forumite
    I send this thread to my friend who is a hardcore xbox fan. But it seems you have already figured it out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure