We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The all new 2019 growing your own thread!

Options

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,501 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    There are sites where you can seed swap, the grow your own forum does this every year with various types, you provide seeds to a yearly swap of chillies, toms etc.
    There is also a seed swap area for current seeds, but you need to be a amember or have fifty posts to do that.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Pennysmakepounds
    Pennysmakepounds Posts: 334 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 March 2019 at 12:53PM
    Options
    euronorris wrote: »
    I don't have a fancy propagator. I just got a set of 4 from Lidl for £3.99 last year (and didn't end up using it until this year). Not available online anymore, but there's still some in my local store. Most of my seedlings (including the chillies have done really well in there). Just waiting on the strawberries and sweet peppers to germinate.

Where did you set them up to get such quick results?

I've NOT got a heated one either. Just the same ones you have from B&Q.

I planted a few trays with a mixture is seeds just over 2 weeks ago (the week of the HOT summer 2019 :) ) and nothing seems to have germinated yet.

I have some set up on the windowsill that gets the sunlight and couple just outside where the sun hits all day long - Dawn to Dusk.

However, nothing seems to have germinated yet in either set-up.

I am not considering buying a heating mat to put under the propagators.
    :jTo be Young AGAIN!!!!...what a wonderfull thought!!!!!:rolleyes:
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I put them all on the kitchen window sill, or on top of the microwave to begin with. We don't have a ton of space, so my options were limited. Our kitchen is pretty small though, and sort of open plan with the living room. When we cook, it gets very warm in there and retains that heat for most of the evening. Once DD goes to bed, we close the living room door to limit TV noise reaching her room (it's a small place, and a new build, so the walls are thin).

Once they all started sprouting, I had to find room on other windowsills, so I cleared our bedroom windowsill also and spread out there. The radiator sits right underneath, so I think that has helped. To be fair, for starting seedlings, a warm kitchen, and over a radiator (that we have set to get warm, but not hot) is probably a good place and we've lucked out a bit there.
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,501 Forumite
    Options
    Pennys, bring the ones outside in, it drops down too cold overnight. They don't really need light until they've sprouted, they need heat.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Pennysmakepounds
    Options
    -taff wrote: »
    Pennys, bring the ones outside in, it drops down too cold overnight. They don't really need light until they've sprouted, they need heat.

That's for the tip, will do tonight and put them in the dining room on the table.

Were not really using that at the moment anyway.

Hope the wife don't go in there and see them, don't think she'd too impressed :)
  • Pablosmummy
    Pablosmummy Posts: 378 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I use my heated clothes rail to start seeds, works great! OH bought me a new propagator for my bday so that's now sitting on top of the rail with more tomatoes, chilli's ..and something else I've already forgotten, thank god I labelled everything!
    May Grocery Challenge -£216/400
  • Pennysmakepounds
    Options
    I use my heated clothes rail to start seeds, works great! OH bought me a new propagator for my bday so that's now sitting on top of the rail with more tomatoes, chilli's ..and something else I've already forgotten, thank god I labelled everything!

clothes rail!!

What kind, something that attaches to the radiator?
  • Pablosmummy
    Pablosmummy Posts: 378 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No it's the three tier heated airer from Lakeland. Got it as a wedding present five years ago and wouldn't be without it ( we don't have a dryer so it's saves us having to dry on the radiators)
    It's also brilliant for making bread rise...
    May Grocery Challenge -£216/400
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,341 Forumite
    Options
    That's for the tip, will do tonight and put them in the dining room on the table.

Were not really using that at the moment anyway.

Hope the wife don't go in there and see them, don't think she'd too impressed :)

Just make sure you protect the surface of the dining table if you are standing your seeds on it - black sacks under newspaper will let you see any slops when you water :)
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Pennysmakepounds
    Options
    Just make sure you protect the surface of the dining table if you are standing your seeds on it - black sacks under newspaper will let you see any slops when you water :)

Thanks for that, But that should NOT be an issue.

They are all in trays so any excess water will just drain onto the tray.

As long as o don't use the hosepipe on them :).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport