Equity Release guide discussion

Comments

• bevjtaylor wrote: »
    im heartbroken I have just found out my parents had equity release on their house around 18 yrs ago borrowed 60K on checking a lastest statement now owe 118K dont know what to do? anyone got advice?

Your parents obviously needed the money, and they will not have to pay it back it will simple reduce the value of their estate. I hope you are not saying you are heartbroken simply because it reduces any inheritance you thought you were getting.

Although it is usually an option of last choice, for many people who are property rich and cash poor ER gives them an option to live more comfortably. I have seen far too many people sitting on a fortune, but live in squalor because everything is tied up in their home. When they die their children sell up and live the life of Riley on the proceeds.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,633
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Are you trying to say that they owe £118k & the house isn't worth that? I believe that was possible with some agreements. If you could have given them the money at the time (or even loaned it) then I can understand being heartbroken as to see those interest rates charged when you may well have only had to pay a third of that would be sickening.
  • Bfd
    Bfd Posts: 1 Newbie
    My mum took out an equity release and although there is a no negative equity clause, it looks like we will have no value to inherit on the house as the interest is so high and the debt escalating. She can't afford to repay any of it so we have to just wave goodbye to the family home when she passes which is such a shame. Is there any way to reduce the interest rate??
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,441
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Bfd wrote: »
    My mum took out an equity release and although there is a no negative equity clause, it looks like we will have no value to inherit on the house as the interest is so high and the debt escalating. She can't afford to repay any of it so we have to just wave goodbye to the family home when she passes which is such a shame. Is there any way to reduce the interest rate??

The only way out of a lifetime mortgage is to pay it off, and the interest rate will be fixed, unless the total dept reaches the actual value of the property when it effectively becomes zero.
  • I live in a Park Home. If I sold it I wouldn't have enough money to buy anything more manageable or if I rent somewhere my money wouldn't last long. Is there anywhere at all that would give me equity on my park home please?
  • rosmic wrote: »
    I live in a Park Home. If I sold it I wouldn't have enough money to buy anything more manageable or if I rent somewhere my money wouldn't last long. Is there anywhere at all that would give me equity on my park home please?

I doubt it, park homes tend to depreciate in value, and ER companies prefer to lend against something that is likely to increase in value and not leave them with a shortfall if the borrower turns out to be long lived.
  • biglugs
    biglugs Posts: 2,945
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    echos_mum wrote: »
    What happens if, after some years from taking Equity Release, you need to move for any reason, eg down-sizing, disability issues, or just to be nearer relatives. Do the repayment terms come into play? Or can you transfer the plan to the new property somehow? Otherwise you could end up with insufficient equity to buy anywhere.......
    Some providers will let you port the loan over to the new property, provided it is of a type that they will lend on, and that the equity in the new property still meets their maximum amount. If it is in excess of that they will charge a part-redemption fee.

If they won't accept the new property type they will charge the entire redemption fee.
    You don't get medals for sitting in the trenches.
  • biglugs
    biglugs Posts: 2,945
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    bevjtaylor wrote: »
    im heartbroken I have just found out my parents had equity release on their house around 18 yrs ago borrowed 60K on checking a lastest statement now owe 118K dont know what to do? anyone got advice?

In 18 years your parents debt has almost doubled. At the same time house prices have increased by roughly 175% (from Nationwide House Price Index).

So if their house was worth £200k (say) when they took out this loan they still have equity of £432k. Not a bad deal IMO.
    You don't get medals for sitting in the trenches.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Borrow £60,000 after 18 years the accumulated debt is £118,000. That would approximate to circa 3.8% interest. That is a very good deal, IMHO.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,288
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    The downside to equity release/lifetime mortgage

Unless you make interest or capital repayment the debt rolls up year on year
    I'm a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Shopping and Freebies, Phones and TV and Over 50s boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing . All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback