Lady K's savings diary

Ladykernow
Ladykernow Posts: 286 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Car Insurance Carver!
edited 27 November 2016 at 9:34PM in How much have you saved?
I wanted to get my saving thoughts and ideas down somewhere and thought this would be the great place to do it. I hope you all don't mind!

I'm 27, I moved out to live with my partner just over a year ago. I started a degree with the OU and I also changed jobs from being a carer to working in an opticians. Although the wage wasn't too bad where I worked, after 8 years in care I wanted to do something different and took the opportunity to try something different, even if it meant less money.

My partner makes around £26,000, I make around £15,000 before tax.

My partner showed me how to put together my own excel spreadsheet for this years money. I spent a whopping £12000 just this year. This does include all the things I have to spend money on, rent, bills, car, shopping.

Today I found out I have £5 to last me until payday.

So, I am stuck cash wise for a bit.

The savings I will be making:
I will be going to the bank and getting rid of the account where I pay £10 a month. £10
As of October, I stopped buying contacts on the contact lens reward scheme. I wasn't wearing them that much and now wearing glasses in my new job was easier than working in care! £15.50

My goal for 2017 is to save £2000. A small amount I know, but if I set little goals I might hit them quicker! I also have another small goal, which is to find a job where I earn slightly more. But I need some confidence before I do that!

Lady K

Comments

• I've put my car in to be repaired as the sister in law crashed into it a few months ago. Luckily she's paying. I haven't got a car for the next 3 days, which is good as I can finish off jobs at home (it's my holiday) and finish my essay.

I will be sending my old phone to be recycled for £15. When that's paid in I will add that to my savings.
  • Seems like you have a good plan! Good luck!
  • Luckily I am getting paid tomorrow. I'm on 86p. We've come back from our holidays seeing our family, which proved a bit more expensive than I had hoped. But everyone was happy, that was the main thing.

I am taking part in the sealed pot challenge, my goal is to reach £1500. It was going to be £2000, but if I can reach that goal, then i'll carry on. Wish me luck!

I am also taking on the no spend challenge this year. Of course, some items are necessary such as rent, bills, food. But I must cut out all the spending. Even reducing the charity shop book hauls. I'm going to make use of the library instead and the massive TBR pile that's in the spare room.

Lady K
  • I've been paid! Yay! Not as much as I thought I was going to be paid.
    I got the £100 bonus from work last month, so i'm going to bank that in the next few weeks when I know that i'm still safe on my balance.
  • Hello you have inspired me too. I am copying you and am only going to buy necessities. Welcome.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Hello you have inspired me too. I am copying you and am only going to buy necessities. Welcome.

Aw thank you! :) I had lots of toiletries given to me over christmas, so i'm going to use them all up before I buy anymore. I was under the impression for years that I must keep one of the products given to me because I wouldn't find them again, but actually I should just use them, otherwise it's a waste!

Today is my second no spend day. I have to pay for my medication tomorrow though, but i'm going to put £30 in the bank and transfer it into my £1500 saving.
  • Today I put £31 in the bank. £1334 to go. I will of course keep carrying on after I reach my target of £1500.

Instead of using the beef tonight, which is due to go out of date on the 3rd, we are having left over curry. Our friends cancelled plans for new year, so we are having drinks at home and netflixs.

Happy new year everyone! I wish you all an amazing 2017, and hope you reach your money saving goals!
  • Ladykernow
    Ladykernow Posts: 286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    My partner and I resisted the urge to go to the coffee shop today.
    But we used our gift voucher that we got for Christmas to finally buy a toaster. To be fair, I would be too busy reading or getting things done in the morning and the toast would end up burning!

I'm so proud! I put on our little board at home how much I want to save this year, and my partner wrote £2500 for his target. I found this site last night:

https://www.quickquid.co.uk/quid-corner/frugal-living-handbook/chapter1.html

Really enjoyed having a read through it. So hopefully it will come in handy for other people too. I doubt i'll be able to save £250 every month, I'm aiming for £125 at least. More if I can.

I did a bit of studying today, and will continue to do some more tonight. Tuesday evening and Wednesday all day I will be studying as I have spare time and a day off work. Resisting the urge to go to the shops!

I placed two things I didn't want in the charity bag this morning.
  • It was my first unnecessary spend last night. I went out and spent £10 in total. £5 for the bus and then £5 for the games table. It was a games bar! I drunk water for the night. Free and healthy! :)

I've saved 171/1500 so far this month. I have £190 left over from payday.

I've quite enjoyed using up what we have for left overs or assessing whether I really need to buy something. I can still have fun without spending too much, hence drinking tap water.

Will keep you all updated next week. :)

Lady K
  • Hi Lady K!

Nice to see you diary if you don't mind I will subscribe.

We're in fairly similar situations in that we're a similar age and have a similar financial situation. I too have been trying to save and I've managed £600 since I started my diary. I'm probably aiming for a similar amount as I really want to travel to Aisa for a few weeks and will need at least that.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback