Cambelt snapped within 7 days from purchase

Options

Comments

• kozlikha
    kozlikha Posts: 90 Forumite
    Options
    DUTR wrote: »
    So the dealer didn't have the vehicle sitting on the forecourt for 2 years odd, is it reasonable for them to know when the belt is going to fail?

What's that got to do with me though whether they knew or didn't know? Nothing. The car isn't fit for purpose within 30 days, that's all that I'm concerned with.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    kozlikha wrote: »
    What's that got to do with me though whether they knew or didn't know? Nothing. The car isn't fit for purpose within 30 days, that's all that I'm concerned with.

Because you own it and it's your problem now, I'm not an arbitrator.
    Just that those that are experienced that you may get to challenge the case may not see it all or some of your way.

A recent service and history is more valid than a several year old one, in any instance though a check today may not reveal sudden failures tomorrow.
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kozlikha wrote: »
    UPDATE: Car being picked up by dealer's warranty company to inspect damage.

If the warranty doesn't allow for a complete refund you've surely committed a mistake in following this path.
  • kozlikha
    Options
    cubegame wrote: »
    If the warranty doesn't allow for a complete refund you've surely committed a mistake in following this path.

I don't follow. They can't do anything to the car without my approval. Let them inspect. They will then have the car in their possession. Once they get back with their proposal I will write to them. I can't decline their request to inspect the car, as then the court may look at me as having been unreasonable in negotiations.
  • Geodark
    Geodark Posts: 1,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Last couple of older cars I have bought (5yrs+) actually had a disclaimer in there around timing belt. Stating that since they dont know for 100% sure when they were done that they advised to get it changed as soon as possible. Just a standard disclaimer on his form.
  • BananaRepublic
    BananaRepublic Posts: 2,103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    cubegame wrote: »

I assume that the dealer had paid for insurance to cover issues such as a car falling to pieces soon after purchase. They will examine the car and determine if it was due to negligence by the dealer, or bad fortune. If the warranty company don't pay up, that is the dealer's problem, not the OPs. However, it might make it harder for the OP to get retribution as they will have to pursue the dealer via legal means, unless they accept responsibility of course.
  • BananaRepublic
    BananaRepublic Posts: 2,103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Geodark wrote: »
    Last couple of older cars I have bought (5yrs+) actually had a disclaimer in there around timing belt. Stating that since they dont know for 100% sure when they were done that they advised to get it changed as soon as possible. Just a standard disclaimer on his form.

But is it legally enforceable? Companies have been known to put disclaimers into contracts knowing that they are not legally binding, in the hope of fooling the customer.
  • kozlikha
    Options
    Success!!

2hozjic.png
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Great news!
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Options
    Good result. Enjoy the weekend (car shopping?)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure