Online gambling affects CS, but is it less if I only have 1 account and top up with CASH INSTORE?

I wager occasionally online which is OBVIOUSLY a bad thing but I enjoy it.

I have credit cards and a damaged credit score that i'm trying to amend, and although I NEVER top up with my credit card, i'm told certain behaviours are still tracked.

A certain bookmaker allows you to top up IN STORE with CASH simply by using your username, so my question is, whilst also allowing me to monitor how much I put in, will the credit score system still know if/when i deposit simply from my gambling account, or is it based on spending on my cards?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Comments

• You don't have a credit score at all, its a made up number, you have a credit history and rating.
  • Well technically you don’t have a rating either.
  • Mjfender26
    Mjfender26 Posts: 227 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I don’t think gambling affects it, never read it in any small print..
    I know that if you ever deposit using a credit card it will show as a ‘cash withdrawal’ which WILL look bad to lenders.
    Debt Free wanna-be in a year.
    £15000 debt in October 2017
    £0 in October 2018
  • nick74
    nick74 Posts: 829 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 April 2019 at 6:44PM
    I've used a few online betting sites over the years and none have ever shown up on my credit files. Why would they, they aren't credit accounts?

The only time it is likely to affect you obtaining credit is in situations where you have previously used a card to top up a betting account and then have to provide copies of statements, for example when applying for a mortgage. Even so, if it's only small amounts occasionally it is unlikely to affect anything.
  • Thanks Guys, yeah I meant credit history.

It was more what would be detectable as I've been told certain behaviours can affect your chances to burrow (however only slightly) as lenders may be less likely to lend if you have a habit of wasting it on betting sites.

In all it seems like the threat is minimal so setting a limit to keep deposits low should be enough. Thanks all!
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    ewest9 wrote: »
    It was more what would be detectable as I've been told certain behaviours can affect your chances to burrow (however only slightly) as lenders may be less likely to lend if you have a habit of wasting it on betting sites.

In all it seems like the threat is minimal so setting a limit to keep deposits low should be enough. Thanks all!
    Detectable how exactly? Have you checked your credit files? Have you seen anything listed there from the bookmaker where you pay cash or the online gambling sites that you use?
    If you have never used credit cards for gambling purposes I completely fail to understand the nature of your concerns here.
    If you were to use a credit card, the credit card issuer will know that you are using their card for gambling purposes which they may well not like.
    Beyond this though nobody else will know it, although as the transactions are presumably treated as cash advances, your credit files will show the number and total value of the cash transactions each month although your credit files will not show the itemised breakdown. There are differing opinions as to how harmful this can be in respect of obtaining further credit.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 22 April 2019 at 9:25PM
    Les79 wrote: »
    On any given day my CC account looked like this:

-£10
    -£10
    -£20
    -£20
    -£20
    -£50

From cash machine withdrawals.

Did they know I was gambling? NO. Did they suspect it, HELL YES!
    This would have cost £18 in cash withdrawal fees. Why did you make 6 separate withdrawals in one day when my making one single withdrawal would have cost you only £3.90.
    Also don't see why they would suspect gambling. You may just have preferred to pay cash for your shopping and wasting money on cash withdrawal fees and cash interest.
  • davidwatts
    davidwatts Posts: 354 Forumite
    nick74 wrote: »
    I've used a few online betting sites over the years and none have ever shown up on my credit files. Why would they, they aren't credit accounts?

Same here, though some have been credit accounts, usually for sports spread betting. One of those does show on my credit history, as a charge card.

Based on my experience I'd say there's nothing to worry about in terms of cash deposits or those made using a debit card.

By the way OP, wagering occasionally online is NOT "OBVIOUSLY a bad thing" if you enjoy it and are only risking money you can afford to lose. At least you've not descended into "matched betting". ;)
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,593 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 April 2019 at 11:02AM
    !!! wrote: »
    Well technically you don’t have a rating either.

You don't have a file either, there is just a huge collection of everyone's data that is queried.

Your credit history is only one part of that data and hopefully it's correct.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure