I’m new to this - Is this call a scam?

Comments

• Rod_H
    Rod_H Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 14 January 2019 at 6:24PM
    Thank you for the useful insight into this company. Received a call earlier today to say my wife, as a result of some sort of draw she'd entered at the Ideal Home Show, was a lucky winner of 7 nights free holiday self catering accommodation at a choice of 4 destinations - Orlando, Costa del Sol, Tenerife or Turkey. All that was required was for us to book our own flights and there would be no other costs. The lady on the phone kept buttering me up, saying how lovely it must be to receive this prize and that I must be 'really excited' by it and how happy she was to convey the news. My first thoughts were that my wife must have entered some kind of prize draw (I wasn't there at the time) and we were the lucky winners.

I then got passed to another person. However, I thought it a bit odd that, aside from wanting to know if I owned my own home and whether our combined family income was above £30k (what's that got to do with winning a prize I thought), during the conversation she also said that our names would still go forward into the big prize draw that was coming up soon. That then made me think that the original prize draw entry details had somehow been used as a means of harvesting contact details in order to peddle some other offer, maybe as an inducement to sell something else.

When I asked for my 'prize winning' to be posted to me, I was told we both had to attend in person at some local venue in Milton Keynes to receive details of the offer , and she pushed hard for me to agree a date, at which point my suspicions were aroused. In order to deflect this I said needed a day or two to sort out a suitable date. During the conversation she said we could see all the wonderful details of the accommodation online at CLCWorld.com. After a quick Google search, I immediately established they are a timeshare company, and the penny immediately dropped! A little more searching brought me to this excellent thread.

Needless to say, when they ring me again, they will be receiving a very firm, albeit polite, 'no thanks'

Hope this adds to the picture.

Rod
  • EllyPS
    EllyPS Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    My partner and I have just been to the presentation. There was no hard sell. Plenty of coffee and refreshments. The presentation lasted about 2.5 hours rather than 90 minutes, but that was mainly because my partner kept going for vape breaks and reminiscing about past holidays. We had a free night in a hotel and have our holiday voucher for a week in Tenerife. We liked what they were selling but didn’t want to commit at the moment. The man and lady who dealt with us were really pleasant and didn’t try to push anything on us!

Elly
  • I’ve just received a phone call from CLC and arranged to go the presentation in 2 weeks. I’m glad I have read everyone’s posts to pre warn me what may happen. We are just going there to see.

Lisa
  • Kikko
    Kikko Posts: 4 Newbie
    I had a call from them today. They said I won a free holiday for two for a week. They persuaded me to go and have the presentation at their centre plus free night accommodation. £90 refundable deposit which is given back only if you attend the presentation. I called them to cancel after reading all these reviews. They said they will not refund me unless I go and attend the presentation. Sounds like big scam. Avoid!!!
  • Hi thanks, that was the only positive response.
    Did you get your deposit back? ( silly me, i have just paid mine). Thanks
    EllyPS wrote: »
    My partner and I have just been to the presentation. There was no hard sell. Plenty of coffee and refreshments. The presentation lasted about 2.5 hours rather than 90 minutes, but that was mainly because my partner kept going for vape breaks and reminiscing about past holidays. We had a free night in a hotel and have our holiday voucher for a week in Tenerife. We liked what they were selling but didn’t want to commit at the moment. The man and lady who dealt with us were really pleasant and didn’t try to push anything on us!

Elly
  • Budhojosh wrote: »
    Hi thanks, that was the only positive response.
    Did you get your deposit back? ( silly me, i have just paid mine). Thanks

that ellyps looks like a fake post. probably written by the company. no other posts except for that one by a newbie who joined to post that it looks like
  • Tubbss
    Tubbss Posts: 444 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    top tip - don't fill in any questionnaires in the departure lounge when flying home - thats where these vultures circle once they announce your flight home - thats how they know they will (most likely) be speaking to Brits going home.
  • Hi, i went on a "free" holiday with them 2 years ago and I am booked again for half term in may.

What people are saying here is all true. They cant sell you their 19 years plan in the presentation in the UK as it is illegal here hence why they have this easy package of 3 years that sounds too good to be true (and it is )

2 years ago i didnt go to the presentation in London , they asked few questions on the phone and off we went to Tenerife for a week - we had the hard sell, the visit of other complex etc... but we said no we dont have the finance and after few hours they finally let us go

this year,we went to Regent street, almost got fooled by the 3 years deal, went back home, made some quick calculations and comparasion and cancelled right away. They still refunded our deposit, we still got our amazon vouchers and we still have our week in May (this time we choose Costa Del Sol) and we had to pay i believe 90 pounds as we are going during the holidays.

For me, i take it as I pay one week for a flat for our family of 4 by spending a morning with them, now we know the drill, we know what to say (and not to say) to speed up things.
  • Annak789
    Annak789 Posts: 275 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Hi
    I’m fairly new to this and did have a call from that company
    At first I thought it’s genuine but as I listened to the person I’ve realised it’s a scam
    They wanted me to come to Manchester for a meeting which I’d have to pay for ...
    So no I don’t think it’s genuine sorry ��
  • We attended a presentation in Manchester on Friday, with no intention of signing or buying anything.
    Got the £75 worth of vouchers, no hard sell.
    Offered all that everyone spoke of on this thread.
    I want to go on the one week free accommodation to Turkey, I know we will have a couple of hours of hard sell presentation, we've had it in passed but not with this company.
    Anyone been to their accommodation in Turkey with Sunscape??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure