PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Comments

• dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Pollycat - I have come across it in the RSPCA, Shelter, Oxfam, BHF and local hospice shops, the weird thing is it is a significant amount of items but by no means all of them probably not even 1/10 but enough for me to notice it. Next time I find a few items in one shop I will ask.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Re the labelling being cut out

This happens for 2nds which are then sold on to whole sellers so they can’t be bought and taken in for full refunds and also some brands don’t wish to be associated with selling seconds. It could be that these whole sellers are then donating old stock??

Anyways I done well today. A pair of voilles which look brand new for £2 and a couple of metres of a very heavy fabric which is needed to curtain off an area in the garage/snooker room/ bar for another £2
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,664 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    I think I was mugged yesterday. :D
    I bought a Ben De Lisi (designers at Debenhams) dress from Age UK.
    It was £5.99. :eek:
    But...but...I saw this dress in the sale in 3 shops, none in my size.
    It is in shades of pink/salmon/coral and various greys and black with nice detailing around the neck and armholes.
    Nice quality jersey and fits perfectly. Will be high on my holiday list.

And - I posted this at the end of February (I didn't buy it)
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I dallied with a New Look maroon/grey/black tartan short-sleeved shift dress with patch pockets in Oxfam but put it on the 'think about it later' list at £5.99.
    and today I found the same dress in perfect condition in Air Ambulance for £1.00. :j
  • Laredouter
    Laredouter Posts: 72 Forumite
    That dress sounds lovely Pollycat! Honestly, £5.99 doesn't sound like much to me, but then I have never been in any truly cheap charity shops.
  • Pollycat
    If the shop is cutting out the fabric labels they are probably breaking the law and should be referred to trading standards.

http://www.ukft.org/business.php?page=business&mcat=2&catid=22

I'm getting fed up with charity shops thinking they're above the law. Signs like "all sale goods sold as seen, no refunds" are illegal, but someone who should know better thinks they're being clever sticking stupid laminated notices up all over the place.
    But does the bit that you quoted about labelling apply to sale of 2nd hand goods?
    Probably; there are very few exemptions just because something is second-hand.
    If anyone reported a charity shop for cutting out labels, personally I'd consider that person very mean spirited. :cool:
  • Pollycat
    suki1964 wrote: »
    Re the labelling being cut out

This happens for 2nds which are then sold on to whole sellers so they can’t be bought and taken in for full refunds and also some brands don’t wish to be associated with selling seconds. It could be that these whole sellers are then donating old stock??
    I made the same point here, Suki:
    I've recently bought (from ebay) a couple of brand new Next dresses :eek: that have had the 'Next' bit cut out of the neck label but the size has been left on.
    "Labels partially removed due to wholesale policy"
    "All labels have been cut out to prevent shop returns'.
    I've also bought bras donated by M&S to Oxfam that have had the full label cut off.

Try searching for your size in a big packing case. :rotfl:
  • Pollycat
    dolly84 wrote: »
    Pollycat - I have come across it in the RSPCA, Shelter, Oxfam, BHF and local hospice shops, the weird thing is it is a significant amount of items but by no means all of them probably not even 1/10 but enough for me to notice it. Next time I find a few items in one shop I will ask.

OK, Dolly, thanks.
    I'll keep my eye open.
    Laredouter wrote: »
    That dress sounds lovely Pollycat! Honestly, £5.99 doesn't sound like much to me, but then I have never been in any truly cheap charity shops.
    Thank you. :)
    I've just tried it on again and it is really nice. And a perfect length.

It's more than I usually pay though.
    But I did notice the fabric amongst all the other dresses and went straight to it. I knew exactly what it was before I pulled it off the rail.
    And my Air Ambulance bargain has gone a little way to offset my shockingly expensive splurge. :rotfl:
  • patricia50
    patricia50 Posts: 264 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 8 May 2018 at 10:06PM
    My bargains for today were a Le Crueset skillet pan that just needed a good clean for £3 and in another shop I picked up a nice Kipling bag which had a price tag of £6.50 on it. This was in a charity shop I often visit and the lady behind the counter knows me now. She looked at the tag to ring it up and raised her eyebrows and said I know its a good make but really? I said well I did think it was slightly expensive for this shop! She agreed and said;I don!!!8217;tknow who prices these things sometimes and she changed it to £4.50 : )
  • esmy
    esmy Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Some great bargains for everyone lately.

Having lost weight I needed summer wear so today, a pair of black and white gingham shorts and lightweight M&S wide legged trousers, both appear new, £4.75 from Marie Curie but best bargain of all, a pair of Long Tall Sally trousers in a very light weight grey denim, almost like linen, not new but seem little worn, for £1 from Cancer Research. I often see trousers that I like but often too short so I'm delighted with these!
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,901 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Today's trip to Otley unearthed two as new 99p tops in the St Gemma's Hospice shop. A cotton jersey, 3/4 sleeved, V neck top in olive green with beaded 'splodges' at the side neck and hip. M & S :) Also, a burnt orange top, very unusual, from the M & S Special Collection range. Cotton jersey back and sleeves but with a fabric front. Scoopy neck banded with orange and white ribbon and gathered in at the waist on each side with matching ribbon ties :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure