RyanAir and the usual tricks

1. Two days before my flight so I've just checked in on-line with RyanAir. Only for my outbound flight mind you because I can't check-in for the return until two days before I come back.
So outbound boarding pass printed.

I'm flying to Marrakech and RyanAir is helpfully telling me that they don't accept smartphone app boarding cards at that airport.
That's nice to know however they say that unless I pay for the upgrade I still can't print my return boarding pass. I must wait until I'm out there so now I need to find a cyber-cafe to do that.

2. Lots of free seats when I check-in and it places me in row 14 and my partner in 15.

RyanAir-Seats-1_zpsstsswcbv.jpg

After the seats are assigned it then tells me that we're not sitting together but that can be fixed if I pay more money.

3. I thought I'd have a word with them using their on-line chat feature.
A timer indicating the wait started counting down from 60 minutes...so I waited....as it got to 1 minute left I got ready...this was what I saw...

RyanAir-chat_zpsl62lwh9y.jpg

There was nothing wrong with my connection, just them and their chat application.

I don't think I'll be using them again.

I don't mind the extra fees for upgrades for those that want to pay for them but some things are just expected as normal. Deliberately making things difficult for customers to make more money is not on.

Seat people together when the seats are free!
Enable people to print boarding passes in advance if your app isn't going to be accepted!

Comments

• Ok we know of the pitfalls of Ryanair and it has been well documented on MSE. Here is a possible solution if you pay the minimum fee (looks like £7 each) to reserve a seat, then you are able to check-in online up to 60 days before travel. That way you wont have to worry about finding an internet cafe. They still get your money but less inconvenience for you.

Info taken from Ryanair web site:

For convenience and peace of mind, customers can check-in for flights 60 days in advance of both departure flights by purchasing a seat or if they have a Flexi Plus ticket. Both outbound and return flights must be within 60 days of departure. Customers can select where they would like to sit and choose to sit together if travelling with a group.

• If you choose not to purchase a seat, you will be able to check-in 48 hours in advance of each departure flight and a seat will be randomly allocated to you (free of charge). It is important to remember that both outbound and return flight must be 48 hours before departure in order to avail of a free, randomly allocated seat. You always have the option to purchase a seat in order to Check-in outside of this 48 hour window.
    • Online check-in closes 2 hours before the scheduled flight departure.
    • Flexi Plus customers can check-in at the airport free of charge.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    matttaylor wrote: »
    2. Lots of free seats when I check-in and it places me in row 14 and my partner in 15.
    since you chose not to pay for seats that is actually a great result...usually it is one in a middle seat at the front of the plane and another in a middle at the back (which could happen on the return flight)
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Someone has to pay to keep the headline price low.
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    When I buy flights I compare on the total cost of what I want - that is seats together with extra leg room, and the ability to bring a bag each on board. I compare adding up those costs, not just on the headline price. I recently booked flights to Lanzarote. Ryanair had the lowest ticket price, but adding legroom and priority pushed the price up to £70 each. Jet2 had a better flight time, and as they only charged £8 each for extra leg room and included speedy boarding with carry on luggage, they were cheaper at £60 each - even though their ticket price started out more expensive.

It sounds like you want to sit together and be able to print your boarding passes early - so should be prepared to pay for that. Ryanair want the low headline price to get to the top of search engines and have great prices for the adverts.
  • Caz3121 wrote: »
    since you chose not to pay for seats that is actually a great result...usually it is one in a middle seat at the front of the plane and another in a middle at the back (which could happen on the return flight)

Yes, on the way back it was as you described. Much further apart.
  • tgon
    tgon Posts: 710 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Sitting together used to be the default at check in and is helpful customer service. Deliberately separating couples by default (or randomly) to extort money is unhelpful customer service. All airlines seem to do this now. Ryanair is a successful pioneer in the profits of unhelpful customer experience.

Being ignored or dumped by the online technology thats there to help you is further proof that you don't really matter in their eyes. It's sad that headline pricing is now the norm. I hope the OP gets the flight and holiday his perseverance has bought.
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Caz3121 wrote: »

Actually I prefer it when it does that, as I then pay for one person to move to the seat at the front next to the one already selected - I think it works out cheaper than buying 2 seats at the front.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    tgon wrote: »
    Sitting together used to be the default at check in and is helpful customer service. Deliberately separating couples by default (or randomly) to extort money is unhelpful customer service. All airlines seem to do this now. Ryanair is a successful pioneer in the profits of unhelpful customer experience.

Being ignored or dumped by the online technology thats there to help you is further proof that you don't really matter in their eyes. It's sad that headline pricing is now the norm. I hope the OP gets the flight and holiday his perseverance has bought.
    Really? Since when? Easyjet put us all together last time we flew with them a few months ago.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    I found this site a while ago but never used it, haven't got a clue if it works or not and not even certain it's not a scam, but it's a brilliant idea https://www.swapseat.net

Or just find someone to swap with when you're on the plane - people around you will be in same situation, there's usually a round of pre-flight musical chairs on Ryanair
  • tgon
    tgon Posts: 710 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    zagfles wrote: »
    Really? Since when? Easyjet put us all together last time we flew with them a few months ago.

At no extra cost?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport