New router - printer not working

1234568»

Comments

• esuhl wrote: »
    I'd wait for other opinions, but if the Post Office are paying, I'd maybe go for something like this:

DrayTek Vigor 2862ac:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DRAYTEK-V2862AC-2862ac-802-11ac-Router/dp/B076JMFRBM

They are offering £35 max. Could you recommend one around this price. The router they supply (with firmware error) says it is this: 802.11 b/g/n 2.4 GHz but I have no idea what that means!

Thanks for any guidance
  • arciere
    arciere Posts: 1,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    HarryS wrote: »
    They are offering £35 max. Could you recommend one around this price. The router they supply (with firmware error) says it is this: 802.11 b/g/n 2.4 GHz but I have no idea what that means!

Thanks for any guidance
    Unfortunately you can't get much for that price, unless you buy used with no warranty.
    802.11 b/g/n is the type of WiFi that the router is capable of, which is fine for your daily use.

As I wrote earlier, I really doubt your problem is THAT complicated. You need to have someone look at your setup before replacing any piece of equipment. Chances are it's just a configuration issue. If you change router you will end up having the same problems.

I don't remember if you have already mentioned it, where are you based?
  • arciere wrote: »
    Unfortunately you can't get much for that price, unless you buy used with no warranty.
    802.11 b/g/n is the type of WiFi that the router is capable of, which is fine for your daily use.

As I wrote earlier, I really doubt your problem is THAT complicated. You need to have someone look at your setup before replacing any piece of equipment. Chances are it's just a configuration issue. If you change router you will end up having the same problems.

I don't remember if you have already mentioned it, where are you based?

Thanks. I don't mind paying a little bit more for a better one, so long as it does what I need.
    The Post Office say it cannot be fixed by even their Outreach Engineers as it is a manufacturer fault. They seem quite convinced a new router will work. I guess if it doesn't I have to wait for their fix.

It is so confusing to buy online when you don't know technical stuff.
  • arciere
    Thanks. I don't mind paying a little bit more for a better one, so long as it does what I need.
    The Post Office say it cannot be fixed by even their Outreach Engineers as it is a manufacturer fault. They seem quite convinced a new router will work. I guess if it doesn't I have to wait for their fix.

It is so confusing to buy online when you don't know technical stuff.
    What you need can be done with pretty much any WiFi router. You don't need to pay more.

Even an experienced engineer would not advise you to change your router for something that he hasn't even checked or seen.
    The Post Office guys have not seen your printer, have not checked your computer, have not tried to connect it. They are just guessing.
    Connecting a printer to a router is an easy task, I can see very few scenarios where a firmware lets you connect all your wireless devices but the printer.
    As I said, get someone to install the printer for you, don't just buy new equipment because someone on a telephone who doesn't even have access to your printer or computer has said so.
    Anyway, it's your money, just advising.
  • arciere
    They seem quite convinced a new router will work.
    Of course, then since it's not their router any longer, they won't be able to help you at all.
    Plus, if you buy a new router, you will need to set up all the connection details (it won't be "plug & play") and re-configure all your wireless devices with the new network/password (and that includes the printer).
    What you need can be done with pretty much any WiFi router. You don't need to pay more.

Even an experienced engineer would not advise you to change your router for something that he hasn't even checked or seen.
    The Post Office guys have not seen your printer, have not checked your computer, have not tried to connect it. They are just guessing.
    Connecting a printer to a router is an easy task, I can see very few scenarios where a firmware lets you connect all your wireless devices but the printer.
    As I said, get someone to install the printer for you, don't just buy new equipment because someone on a telephone who doesn't even have access to your printer or computer has said so.
    Anyway, it's your money, just advising.

Gosh, that does make a lot of sense. I did originally contact a local computer man but his charge was £30- £40 and I did not see why I should have to pay this. The Post Office were not prepared to reimburse for this.

I also followed everyone's various suggestions and also uninstalled my printer and re-installed. But unfortunately to no effect.

At least if I buy another, I have followed PO instructions and if that doesn't work it will have to be them that fix it. Still not sure which to go for though, given their budget.
    Of course, then since it's not their router any longer, they won't be able to help you at all.
    Plus, if you buy a new router, you will need to set up all the connection details (it won't be "plug & play") and re-configure all your wireless devices with the new network/password (and that includes the printer).

Sorry - I read this after my answer to the previous.

I don't like the sound of all that complication . I think I should wait until they get a fix. Or maybe switch back to BT!!!
  • arciere
    Sorry - I read this after my answer to the previous.

I don't like the sound of all that complication . I think I should wait until they get a fix. Or maybe switch back to BT!!!
    Sorry, but the problem here is that your printer can't connect to your new WiFi. Whatever they do on your router (assuming that they will do something), it won't affect your printer in any way.
    You main problem now is to get your printer connect to your new WiFi. And that can only be done from:
    A) The printer itself;
    B) Your computer, once it is connected directly to the printer (and in order to do that, the printer will need to be reset to default settings);

As you can see, whatever you (or they) do on the router, won't have any impact on the printer (unless you manage to change the WiFi SSID, encryption and password to match the old values, but if I understand that would be even more complicated for you).

I will see if I can take a look at the printer manual and will send you some instructions as soon as I have a minute.
  • arciere
    Just PM you.
  • HarryS
    HarryS Posts: 93 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    arciere wrote: »
    Just PM you.

My sincere thanks to Arciere for all the kind help given.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure