Suspended – what to do?

Elinore
Elinore Posts: 259 Forumite
edited 14 September 2018 at 1:52PM in Employment, jobseeking & training
its a bit long - but I wasn't sure what was relevant so I included everything :)

I am employed by ‘huge multinational – employer’ who as part of a partnership in a multimillion pound deal took on several lucrative contracts in conjunction with ‘multinational – product supplier’ several years ago.

I was recruited during this acquisition to work exclusively servicing a contract to ‘product supplier’ but am paid and work in the building of ‘employer’ as a team of one. My contract is not profitable as it’s a legacy contract, but it is a requirement of the larger much more lucrative deal that the role is staffed and maintained. I have worked this way to the satisfaction of both the employer and the supplier for several years.

The employer has a single licence to access ‘product supplier’ systems as they are militantly security conscious. This is allocated specifically to me and I had to sign for it as for my sole use -as I have access to privileged data.

They also set my leave; I go to their team meetings and get invited by the product suppliers to their Christmas and summer work dos. They feedback to the’ employer’ on my performance (which has always been noted as excellent) and they generally are great and treat me as part of the team, just based off site.

I returned after two weeks AL to find there has been a reshuffle and I now have a different manager at ‘employer’. Manager has cancelled all the blocked out Thursdays on the leave/meetings system (my set days at Supplier site) and changed my hours to that of the main unit. He’s also assigned me some admin tasks and cancelled the AL blocked out for Christmas as it’s the company policy not to have leave over the festive period (Product supplier closes over Christmas)

I had introduction meeting on my return where the manager was livid when he discovered that my employment contract is exclusively for working on this contract and for the supplier alone. It says I can’t do outside tasks, my hours and leave are set by the ‘product supplier’ not by the employer. All very clearly laid out in my terms of employment. He seemed to take it rather personally and in frank terms had himself a bit of a temper tantrum (honestly, its the most accurate way to describe it!)

So I have kept my head down this week - I thought it would all blow over once he had spoken to my old manager, confirmed the details and it would just boil down to him being disappointed that I wasn't as expected - the shiny new staff member who would lighten their load by one.

This is where I need advice.

In a further meeting today the new manager told me he didn’t want me on his headcount if I was basically not working for him. I was a resource drain and he had all this admin stuff to do for essentially a penny ante BS legacy role. (The role may be legacy but its necessary, busy and a full time job)

He wanted me to sideline my supplier tasks and pick up the admin tasks anyway and also wants me to hand over the login to the product suppliers system, expressly against the supplier’s policy. Essentially he wants to hand tasks out to the wider team. Without asking permission to do so.

He wants me to work outside the hour’s noted in both my terms and the contract terms to the detriment of the supplier. He has refused to put any of this in writing or allow me to do so - categorically banned me from discussing any of this with the supplier or anyone one else in the business. When I stated I would need to take advice on this he immediately suspended me for refusing ‘a reasonable request’ and asked me to leave.

I calmly left but I am very concerned. Where do I go from here?

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Elinore wrote: »
    its a bit long - but I wasn't sure what was relevant so I included everything :)

I am employed by ‘huge multinational – employer’ who as part of a partnership in a multimillion pound deal took on several lucrative contracts in conjunction with ‘multinational – product supplier’ several years ago.

I was recruited during this acquisition to work exclusively servicing a contract to ‘product supplier’ but am paid and work in the building of ‘employer’ as a team of one. My contract is not profitable as it’s a legacy contract, but it is a requirement of the larger much more lucrative deal that the role is staffed and maintained. I have worked this way to the satisfaction of both the employer and the supplier for several years. - So more than 2?

The employer has a single licence to access ‘product supplier’ systems as they are militantly security conscious. This is allocated specifically to me and I had to sign for it as for my sole use -as I have access to privileged data.

They also set my leave; - legal, imagine it's your employer doing it I go to their team meetings and get invited by the product suppliers to their Christmas and summer work dos. They feedback to the’ employer’ on my performance (which has always been noted as excellent) and they generally are great and treat me as part of the team, just based off site.

I returned after two weeks AL to find there has been a reshuffle and I now have a different manager at ‘employer’. Manager has cancelled all the blocked out Thursdays on the leave/meetings system (my set days at Supplier site) and changed my hours to that of the main unit. - has he explained why? He’s also assigned me some admin tasks and cancelled the AL blocked out for Christmas as it’s the company policy not to have leave over the festive period (Product supplier closes over Christmas) - legally fair

I had introduction meeting on my return where the manager was livid when he discovered that my employment contract is exclusively for working on this contract and for the supplier alone. - why? It says I can’t do outside tasks, my hours and leave are set by the ‘product supplier’ not by the employer. All very clearly laid out in my terms of employment. He seemed to take it rather personally and in frank terms had himself a bit of a temper tantrum (honestly, its the most accurate way to describe it!) - Have you discussed this?

This is where I need advice.

In a further meeting today the new manager told me he didn’t want me on his headcount if I was basically not working for him. I was a resource drain and he had all this admin stuff to do for essentially a penny ante BS legacy role. (The role may be legacy but its necessary, busy and a full time job) - I can kind of see his point. Your expenses and wages will be comnig out of his budget.

He wanted me to sideline my supplier tasks and pick up the admin tasks anyway and also wants me to hand over the login to the product suppliers system, expressly against the supplier’s policy. Essentially he wants to hand tasks out to the wider team. Without asking permission to do so. - Well if there is a valid reason not to do this, you should raise it

He wants me to work outside the hour’s noted in both my terms and the contract terms to the detriment of the supplier. He has refused to put any of this in writing - well then refuse? - categorically banned me from discussing any of this with the supplier or anyone one else in the business. When I stated I would need to take advice on this he immediately suspended me for refusing ‘a reasonable request’ and asked me to leave. - in writing?

I calmly left but I am very concerned. Where do I go from here?

I would suggest on this occasion contacting HR and asking to raise a grievance
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Comms69 wrote: »
    I would suggest on this occasion contacting HR and asking to raise a grievance
    I would agree. To be fair, I can see his point of view of his budget is expected to pay for something that he gets no benefit from. But that is a matter for the business to resolve. Are you in a union?
  • CarolK
    CarolK Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You have been asked to commit a GDPR breach

Go straight to HR
  • Elinore
    Elinore Posts: 259 Forumite
    I was told specifically not to speak to HR. He will discuss the matter with them and then they would contact me.

Would it be worth dropping the a line even though he expressly said I was not to - he seemed to suggest this would be further evidence of 'refusing a reasonable request'
  • Comms69
    CarolK wrote: »
    You have been asked to commit a GDPR breach

Go straight to HR
    You literally don't know that.
  • Comms69
    Elinore wrote: »
    I was told specifically not to speak to HR. He will discuss the matter with them and then they would contact me.

Would it be worth dropping the a line even though he expressly said I was not to - he seemed to suggest this would be further evidence of 'refusing a reasonable request'

ok totally ignore what I (and Sangie) said.... Why exactly did you bother asking if you weren't interested in the answer?

Everything seems to be 'said', I suspect nothing is written down. Personally I would be concerned about that.....
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Since you've remained silent on the question of union membership I'd suggest contacting a recognised union and ask if you pay arrears would they consider advice: representation.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • ohreally wrote: »
    Since you've remained silent on the question of union membership I'd suggest contacting a recognised union and ask if you pay arrears would they consider advice: representation.

It doesn't work like that - otherwise everyone would do it.
  • Cheeky_Monkey
    Cheeky_Monkey Posts: 2,072 Forumite
    edited 14 September 2018 at 3:02PM
    OP - I presume you have reported the matter to your 'actual' employer (the supplier). What did they say about it?

Edit: Sorry, I've just re-read your post and you appear to be employed and paid by the employer in whose building you work so ignore my question above!
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    My suggestion would be to put in writing to your manager the gist of what you have posted here and explain, point by point, why you cannot do what he is asking without a change of contract and the written permission of HR.
    See how he reacts to that and then determine the next move.
    Whether he wants you on his head count is not your problem. Handing over information which the company you are doing work for has expressly forbidden most certainly would be.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure