Hargreaves Lansdown transfer obstructions

Comments

• slinga
    slinga Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 31 July 2017 at 10:54AM
    Just wondering if I'd would have to go through this AML stuff if I just decided to cash up and transfer that cash to my bank??

Similarly on death does that AML reqirement still happen?
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
  • It's been ages since I meant to post the end of the story about my transfer out of HL. Well not so long in the timescales of HL transfers, maybe ;)

My application to transfer my SIPP from Hargreaves Lansdown to Alliance Trust arrived at Alliance Trust on 16th May 2017. Eventually all funds were transferred and the final step of the cash balance appearing in my Alliance Trust account was on 22nd January 2018. That's an outrageous 251 days to complete a SIPP transfer.

Was Hargreaves Lansdown to blame ? Well, after a slightly sticky start with Alliance Trust someone there actually started giving me regular updates, which was really helpful. In contrast I frequently had to bother HL to get any action or even answers out of them, and their replies were never aligned well with what Alliance Trust were telling me. Typically it looked like letters from Alliance Trust were arriving at HL but HL were then proceeding to lose crucial parts of them. Can I prove this ? Of course not. Should I have complained to the regulator about this ? Probably (then they could have investigated like I can't).

But of course one just breathes a heavy sigh of relief to be finally rid of these incompetents and moves on. But my opinion of Hargreaves Lansdown only slid further down the scale during this whole sorry process.

Others here have pointed out that HL could have no motivation for causing delays. But I would argue that they managed to delay my transfer beyond the date on which they calculate their client numbers (and no-one can dispute their propensity to be boastful !). Also I still have an ISA at HL (no rush to transfer as weighting towards equities means fees are low) and my wife still has SIPP and ISA at HL, so they have effectively delayed the transfer out of those (because we wanted experience of Alliance Trust before moving everything).
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    My application to transfer my SIPP from Hargreaves Lansdown to Alliance Trust arrived at Alliance Trust on 16th May 2017. Eventually all funds were transferred and the final step of the cash balance appearing in my Alliance Trust account was on 22nd January 2018. That's an outrageous 251 days to complete a SIPP transfer.

That is why I prefer doing cash transfers rather than in-specie transfers.

You are reliant on the fund house and the speed they do things is variable. That is why risk warnings exist that it can take 6 months or so to re-register.

Next time, do a cash transfer and it will be moved in about a week.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,245 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Having been through an in specie transfer once, I don't think I'd do it again. A few days out of the market is a price worth paying.
  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 2,821 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 September 2018 at 11:08PM
    I am over six months into transferring from HL to II and nearly there. II have been a story of incompetence and half truths (I guess it’s the price you pay for the price you pay) but the last hurdle has been transferring Sanlam Strategic Bond. Sanlam do not process transfers electronically and their paper forms only allow two decimal places. I hold to three decimal places so, to cut a very long story short, HL have added 0.002 units to my holding.

II did admit their fault when I complained, explaining I was paying double fees (theirs kicked in while I was still paying HL). They compensated £150 and cancelled a year of quarterly fees while still giving me trading credits.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    In specie transfer? Never again....:eek:
  • dunstonh wrote: »
    You are reliant on the fund house and the speed they do things is variable.
    masonic wrote: »
    Having been through an in specie transfer once, I don't think I'd do it again. A few days out of the market is a price worth paying.
    Many thanks for these contributions, but I can only agree up to a very limited point.

The phase where fund managers were re-registering holdings was very visible to me (as I was watching like a hawk !), funds would disappear from the portfolio view at HL to pop up (eventually) at Alliance trust. Yes the time this took was disappointingly long - but a mere "drop in the ocean" compared to the total time the transfer took. Certainly all within the last 50 days, which would have left me out of the market for over 200 days using the "faster" cash transfer method. That would have represented a huge loss of gains (this was last year, remember). I don't dispute that a cash transfer might have been faster, but I certainly don't regret doing the "in-specie" transfer.

But now in September 2018 being out of the market doesn't seem like such a dreadful idea, indeed having just taken some profits (and thanks to bid rumours giving me a comfortable exit from RPC !) I've way more cash in my ISA than usual, so maybe it's time to go for it !
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,245 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Chordeiles wrote: »
    MThe phase where fund managers were re-registering holdings was very visible to me (as I was watching like a hawk !), funds would disappear from the portfolio view at HL to pop up (eventually) at Alliance trust. Yes the time this took was disappointingly long - but a mere "drop in the ocean" compared to the total time the transfer took. Certainly all within the last 50 days, which would have left me out of the market for over 200 days using the "faster" cash transfer method. That would have represented a huge loss of gains (this was last year, remember). I don't dispute that a cash transfer might have been faster, but I certainly don't regret doing the "in-specie" transfer.
    You wouldn't have been out of the market for over 200 days if you transferred as cash. It is the reregistration process that slowed everything down.

For a real world example, see this thread, where a fellow long-suffering victim of an in specie transfer from HL to II decided to play it safe and do not one but two ISA transfers as cash (from S&S ISA to cash ISA, then from cash ISA to S&S ISA) in the space of 3 weeks to transfer from II back to HL. That was four years ago and things have sped up since then (but clearly not if transferring in specie)
  • StellaN
    StellaN Posts: 354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I must say that I transferred a S&S ISA from Fidelity to iWeb in-specie and it was remarkably easy and quick in a matter of a couple of weeks. Both Fidelity and iWeb were very efficient in the electronic process so why do other platforms have such major issues.
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,203 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I find it interesting that the government suggest it should only take 30 days for an S&S ISA transfer, but for a SIPP, which in many cases would hold similar funds etc there is no such guideline, and in very many cases seems to take far far longer.
    https://www.gov.uk/individual-savings-accounts/transferring-your-isa
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport