Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 3
    • sabelu
    • By sabelu 18th May 04, 4:21 PM
    • 1,078 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    sabelu
    Re: Atlantic Electric and Gas
    Hi,
    I had problems with Atlantic didnt bill me properly (overcharged) I complained to Energywatch who gave them 12 days to respond to my complaint. They did not meet the deadline and have agreed I only need pay 100 for gas in a 5 bedroomed house for Gas from October to April - a result. Have now signed up with another operator as I'm not going through that again.
  • lemon-man
    I am currently with Atlantic and have used uswitch.com to do a check on who would be cheapest supplier just in case Atlantic increase them.

On 28 April 2004, Atlantic became part of the Scottish and Southern Energy Group.

uswitch found that next two companies that were cheapest for my circumstances also belong to SSEG.

Hopefully prices will not rise too dramatically and much maligned Customer Service will improve.

If prices do rise use a comparison site such as uswitch or one of the others and transfer.
  • RIP1
    I don't think Atlantic are accepting any new customers now they have been taken over. !
    Under what basis do you judge this on? I am an Atlantic customer and recommended a friend to them. He phoned up their call centre only last week and was passed to a sales team. He has received all the appropriate information through the post saying they are going to transfer his supply over.

That sounds like they are still taking on customers to me!
  • archived user
    40 annual rebate cheque for paying electricity by monthly direct debit arrived this week as promised without any hassle- await rebate for gas next month
  • archived user
    I changed to Atlantic just over a year ago and find it significantly cheaper than the big utility companies - and today I received my 39.00 'loyalty' cheque, which I didn't even expect!!!

have also just moved to Homecall through phones4u which gives free calls to other users of this service, plus it is cheaper than BT

It's time we gave the big utility companies a run for their money, and great to see a competitive market opening up to challenge them

• archived user
    What is atlantic listed under on uswitch?
    • COS
    • By COS 4th Jun 04, 3:41 AM
    • 547 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    COS
    If you would like a no obligation quotation from Telecomplus please email me:

tizo@telecomplus.org.uk

John Wayne, Butch Cassidy, Deputy Dog, springs to mind when I read this.

Don't be fooled by the savings this company offer because in the long term you will be doing your self no favours. This guy is laughable and so unprofessional.
    • dealseeker
    • By dealseeker 5th Jun 04, 3:13 AM
    • 226 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    dealseeker
    Back to the topic:

Atlantic today announced their new tariffs - they don't point out these are substantial increases BTW and leave it up to unsuspecting souls to find out in due course.

Atlantic was taken over by Scottish and Southern Energy at the end of April - after hitting financial problems and being put in receivership.

Most customers will see an increase, and the worst hit will suffer a 16% rise in the price of electricity and a 24% hike in gas prices!!

...and we thought they'd been canny by surfing the internet to find the best deal. :-/

Will just be holding on for my rebate and then I'm off to another supplier....
    • dealseeker
    • By dealseeker 5th Jun 04, 3:33 AM
    • 226 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    dealseeker
    Given the increases are going to happen (and these are significant up to 24%) what can you do?

For goodness sake switch...don't encourage the Big Boys :-* at S&SE to push us around. USe Martin's ideas to search using USwitch and others.

If you need to buy some time while you search and until the transfers happen you should make sure that your readings are submitted and that these are !on the "high side" before the price rise .... bit like pe-paying to ensure that you get the energy at the lower tariff.

If you are on a fixed monthly plan it could be working either way .... Just make sure the balance it is in your favour.

Don't go mad as they may arrange for special readings but do make sure you submit an "accurate" reading and lock yourself into as much energy at the lower rate as you can. !

Good luck.
  • archived user
    how do you people get a reabte on atlantic?
  • RIP1
    I received my letter about the price increase. This letter did not surprise me. I have been a long term customer with Atlantic and have hardly had a price increase. My unit rates are very low and having talked to other companies noone was able to offer me anything remotely like these rates.

So the process to ring around will start again. Having looked through the internet, a number of companies are announcing price changes ie Powergen and I only remember them changing their prices a few months ago!

It will not surprise me if my findings show that Atlantics new prices will remain competitive. Yes there is the initial shock that the prices increase so much but it was always going to happen. Just think if I had not benefitted from the ridiculous low unit costs Atlantic offered me for so long, maybe they would not have gone into liquidation!
  • archived user
    :-[Bad news, folks. I've just received a letter from Atlantic saying that all existing customers will have a price hike from 5th. July - wow, a full 2 weeks notice to swop! Of course, if you do swop, bang goes your annual discount anyway as you won't be completing the year.
    Won't anyone introduce some clarity into their pricing structures instead of all these gimmicks designed to confuse?
  • archived user
    According to price comparisons, Atlantic will still be the cheapest for gas despite the 22.5% increase as long as the one month annual rebate continues.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 14th Jun 04, 7:33 PM
    • 24,709 Posts
    • 13,090 Thanks
    lisyloo
    According to price comparisons, Atlantic will still be the cheapest for gas despite the 22.5% increase as long as the one month annual rebate continues.
    Have you compared with telecom plus?

I am not necessarily advocating using them as there are some issues with customer service.

But according to their claims they should be cheapest.

You can do a comparison on www.energylinx.co.uk but remeber to check the "I want to compare non-standard tariffs" box.
    • ikr2
    • By ikr2 16th Jun 04, 6:38 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    ikr2
    Our gas useage is up this year because we have had someone in the house all day and a heating valve was broken for all of feb, which meant we had no thermostat control over the heating!

Atlantic were slow accept our switch from the old Amerada.. We applied in Sept 2003 and were customers from late Nov 2003.

Based on the winter quarter's meter readings, I'm estimating an annual gas useage of 30 to 34000 KWh, up from 20000 KWh. On this basis it is worth our while staying with Atlantic until we get the annual rebate in November.

Going with Scottish Power (seems to be the cheapest alternative) now would save around 60 p.a. or 30 up to November (probably less as this is the slack period for gas useage). We would forfeit the monthly rebate from Atlantic of around 40.

So around October I will be shopping for gas again! I notice that Scottish power's tariffs are pegged until 2007.
    • ioscorpio
    • By ioscorpio 17th Jun 04, 7:15 PM
    • 2,323 Posts
    • 533 Thanks
    ioscorpio
    I have been with Atlantic since last July, so will wait until I receive my annual rebate. I have always had estimated bills but when I e-mailed them my correct readings for gas and electric they sent out revised bills. I also received a cheque for overpayment of 200+ when I requested one as my direct debits were too high for my gas usage.
    • save4u
    • By save4u 18th Jun 04, 1:50 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    save4u
    Based on Martin's latest article I looked at my gas and electricity comsumption as I am currently with Atlantic Electric and Gas.... Martin reports that tariffs are to go up big time in July.

I have put the same annual consumption/cost into the comparison sites and get different answers both for new supplier and savings. This seems to be the on-going unresolved problem for some in this discussion board....or have I missed something?

My problem is that I will switch if the annual savings are worth it but to what company and for how much 'savings' when the recommendations are different from each 'independent' comparison sites.......and if I do change how do I know who is telling the truth?

The cynic in me says that as the comparison companies are taking a cut then it is in their interest to be slow with updates if they gain by so doing.

Any help or advice on this total confusion (I thought these were to clarify not confuse ) and has anyone done a comparison between sites and if so which two are the most up to date/best? Does anybody know when are these updated and when would be the best time to compare tariffs for this latest switch away from Atlantic?

PS I have also posted this request on the equivalent message board for switching tafiffs to grab a wider audience... Martin may like to consolidate this discussion when he has the time .

Help..............
  • RIP1
    If you are looking for upto date information on price changes, the UK Power website contains this information.

The only real way to be sure of savings is to work it out yourself. On many of the comparison websites they will tell you the unit rates. Use these and your consumption to work out the cost. Then it is a matter of seeing what the company has to offer in terms of discounts etc. The comparison websites will give you some idea about who is the cheapest but working it out yourself takes away any bias a site may have towards/against a particular supplier.
    • save4u
    • By save4u 23rd Jun 04, 8:12 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    save4u
    Posted this on the equvalent topic but it will certainly help here methinks - I score another post as well

As a help to those who feel the need to change (after receiving their loyalty refund) and others avoiding the swinging price increase from Atlantic Elec & Gas.

I ran my annual consumption (you can use price but estimated consumption is best - beware the Gas Kwh calculation it is not the units but an applied formula with a variation on the calorific value) through all the comparison sites suggested in Martins article and...... apart from getting some variations there was a pattern showing the best top results.

Compare Dual fuel, Gas only, Electricity only. Separate suppliers can give a better deal.

I then looked at the T&C for each chosen tariff - not available on all sites - to check the latest rates applied and eliminated those who were due a price hike soon (Powergen and Scottish & Southern).

End result - went for Scottish Power internet account on Gas only - not the cheapest (this was Telecom plus by 6) but hidden in the small print was this tit-bit

"The capped tariff introduced in March 2004 offers fixed rates until March 07. This insulates the customer from any potential price rises until March 07"

Signing on through energyhelpline gives me another tenner and supports Martin's site.

Jury still out on electricity (only a couple of quid difference) until price hikes work their way through.

Great Save though; thanks all and I hope this helps you ardent energy Savers out there ;D

• save4u
    • By save4u 25th Jun 04, 11:09 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    save4u
    OOOps Just read the thread on Scottish Power which (summarised) looks like the service received has been patchy.

Apart from difficulties on start up, Posters seem to mention that they do not start the DD or that the amount is too low - providing SP apply the contracted tariff, I can live with that and invest the difference in a high interest account

I reserve judgement on the 'great save' until the documentation is in place and my account is up and running.

As an aside, all comparison sites I used gave SP a good rating for service though - I wonder who determines this?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,068Posts Today

7,514Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Unbelievable. I needed a cab to rush for an interview re Facebook. Saw one stop, man getting out with suitcases. He? https://t.co/rw1BpZoZga

• RT @susannareid100: Well done Martin - this is important. I get lots of enquiries about ads with my image promoting diet pills. Don?t giv?

• Follow Martin