Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • chicky77uk
    • 18th Feb 05, 2:37 PM
    Surface Water Drains (Rainwater)
    • 18th Feb 05, 2:37 PM
    Anglian Water will backdate your claim to the first of April in the year which you applied. If you can call for an application before 31.03.05 your claim will be backdated automatically to 01.04.04.

Your saving would be 30 per year if you are currently being charged for SWD in error.

Tel: 0800 91 91 55
    something missing
  • flupeb
    • 12th Mar 05, 9:16 PM
    water surface drainage
    • 12th Mar 05, 9:16 PM
    I have just received notification, from Southern Water, that I will have a refund of 18 for 2004 and my 2005 bill reduced by 22. You need to claim before 31/03/05 to have the rebate for 2004. You will need to supply a plan of your sewers/drainage systems to the water board as - apparently - they do not have any plans of the drainage system. I was able to prove that my surface water drained into soakaways and had my very welcome reply in just over one week.
    Jane Timms
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 22nd Mar 05, 10:05 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    • 22nd Mar 05, 10:05 PM
    • 22nd Mar 05, 10:05 PM
    I have received the documents from STW to claim for a rebate, because I have soakaways at the rear of the house. Trouble is I do not know where the water at the front goes!?! Would I still get a rebate if the water at one half of the house went into soakaways. Even the water which comes out of the kitchen and utility room goes in the soakaways at the back.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • flupeb
    • 22nd Mar 05, 10:22 PM
    Surface Water Drainage
    • 22nd Mar 05, 10:22 PM
    The charge is made if any surface drainage goes into the main sewer system - however if you are not sure, and make a request, the Water Board will send a inspector out to check for you - make sure that your request is in before 31/03/05 to qualify for the 2004 rebate as well as having your 2005 bill reduced.
    I have just received my adjusted bill and - to my very pleasant surprise - I will be only paying 41p per month extra for 2005. It is really worth 'pushing for it'
    Good luck
    Jane
    • beaker141
    • By beaker141 21st Apr 05, 9:30 PM
    • 483 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    beaker141
    • 21st Apr 05, 9:30 PM
    • 21st Apr 05, 9:30 PM
    On my house I have 2 drain systems, foul and surface water. surface Water is fed through 2 gulleys, front and back, connected to the roof drainage, with most of next doors roof drainage coming onto my property etc.

If I was to permanently divert the water into water butts, front and back (would actually be at the side behind the fences etc, would I be able to claim the reduction ?

What would I do with regard to next door ?

"What would I do with the water ? "

Probably poor it down the drains again !!! My ideal would be to rig up a loft tank and pump the water into the loft, then use it to filll the toilet cistern. I reckon this approach in conjunction with a water meter would save a packet, providing the elec used to pump it doesnt outweight the water cost !

Any thoughts, comments ?
  • flupeb
    • 21st Apr 05, 10:19 PM
    Surface Water Drainage
    • 21st Apr 05, 10:19 PM
    My surface water feeds directly into soakaways - I cannot comment on downpipes being diverted into water butts.
    My understanding is that even if only one downpipe feeds into the Water Boards mains then you are liable for the Surface Water charge - however - as I have said in previous replies if you are in doubt consult your local Water Board - I found my supplier to be extremely helpful.
    Best of luck
    Jane
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,565Posts Today

7,703Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• RT @Screeeeamer: @dwlstacey @MartinSLewis @TUIUK Dear mr Stacy, I need to let you know of a slight amendment to the Porsche 911 you ordered?

• Follow Martin