I dialled 18866 before making calls, and most of the time, the voice mail will tell me whether it is a free call or how much the call will cost. However, sometimes as soon as I dialled I got straight through to the person, and again this happened this afternoon. Just out of curiosity, I checked my account online just now and I noticed the call did not go through 18866 and my provider is BT. I am wondering whether anybody has experienced this esp as I was put on the queue this afternoon and I thought the phone was free. Thanks.

Comments

• gary38uk
    gary38uk Posts: 476 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    yes i have had this as well.
    the thing to do is to hang up if you do not hear the message, before it is answered.
  • marylee
    marylee Posts: 497 Forumite
    yes i have had this as well.
    the thing to do is to hang up if you do not hear the message, before it is answered.

Thanks,glad to hear I am not the only one. Does not seem to give me much time, as soon as I dialled 18866 and then the number I wanted to call, I did not even hear the phone rings, it went straight to the person I was calling. I guess, will have to be on the look out from now on. A bit upset being in the queue for nearly 20 mins with BT and all the time I thought I was paying 1p for the call.
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I had a similar problem yesterday and the call I made at
    2.30p.m was still not on my 18866 account late last night, but have just checked and it is now on my 18866 bill,so maybe yesterday was a slow day.

I also previously noticed that if the recipient (human or auto )picked up the phone on their first ring I did not receive the recorded message,I tried this by dialling my own mobile from my registered landline and it rang twice before the message kicked in,but I have just tried this again and the message comes before the phone rings,so maybe they have fixed it.
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• marylee
    Thanks for the infor, it's ok now. I have jut checked my online bill and it has been recorded. I think, it was a bit slow yesterday. This has put my mind at ease, as I will no longer worry if I do not hear the voice mail as I know I will only be charged the 1p connection, hopefully. I am just puzzled sometimes when I ring somebody, the phone is answered immediately without ringing, does that make any sense to anybody!! Anyway, I am glad with the service and I am saving loads, make me wonder how long this free calls to UK will last.
  • monomer
    monomer Posts: 216 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    From personal experience, the phone is actually ringing on the other end when you get the voice tariff reminder. I've had people pick up the phone several times before the voice reminder has a chance to talk! ;D
    "...And I gave that man directions, even though I didn't know the way, 'cause that's the kind of guy I am this week." -- Homer Simpson
  • From personal experience, the phone is actually ringing on the other end when you get the voice tariff reminder. I've had people pick up the phone several times before the voice reminder has a chance to talk!  ;D
    I'm pleased to confirm the young lady who answers the 'phone at my local Chinese takeaway always beats the tariff announcement.

I plan to test it again tonight, just to be sure.

And I'll probably check once a week in future - to be absolutely sure! ::)
    30 years, 217 days!
  • marylee
    Thanks all of you for this very useful information. Please keep us posted when you your test. Cheers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure