windows 7 problems

Options

Comments

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    What Sony info? Are you saying you're using the bloatware that Sony have installed?
  • diz79
    diz79 Posts: 330 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    New copy from whence?
    Option for?

You are right. It isn't clear.

Can you use another Browser? https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/new/

Im currently using firfox

The normal procedure to reset windows is press F8 which then takes you to Advanced boot options here you have lots pfnoptions th one being how to reinstall windows or something to that effect. I dont have that option.

The other procedure ive done in the past is to press the assist button and this takes you to a simple Sony setup and helps you do a reinstall.

The only other option is F10 but this also dpesent work.

This is the only way I could do it before.

Regarding the missing files I need administrator permision for this work which it doesent let me have.

Thanks
  • diz79
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    What Sony info? Are you saying you're using the bloatware that Sony have installed?

You need to keep some of the blaotware in order for re install
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    diz79 wrote: »
    Im currently using firfox

The normal procedure to reset windows is press F8 which then takes you to Advanced boot options here you have lots pfnoptions th one being how to reinstall windows or something to that effect. I dont have that option.

The other procedure ive done in the past is to press the assist button and this takes you to a simple Sony setup and helps you do a reinstall.

This is the only way I could do it before.

Regarding the missing files I need administrator permision for this work which it doesent let me have.

Thanks

If you swapped to an SSD, that might be the reason why it no longer works.
    You don't need any bloatware for your laptop to function.

But to try fix your current issue, you can run a Repair Install with the image in your PM inbox.

But I would recommend, at this stage, backing up your data and clean installing Windows 10.
  • diz79
    Options
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    If you swapped to an SSD, that might be the reason why it no longer works.
    You don't need any bloatware for your laptop to function.

But to try fix your current issue, you can run a Repair Install with the image in your PM inbox.

But I would recommend, at this stage, backing up your data and clean installing Windows 10.

I will try but I tried something similar and it didnt work.
  • diz79
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. ..this is the video I used for the missing files. if the above doesent work I would like to try this again. when I get to putting the file into system 32 or the other one it asks for you to be administrator and wont let me do it. Do you know how I can ?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uqDlKo0_vIs

Thanks
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Please don't download DLL files from websites like the one linked in that video, you have no idea what's going to come along with it.

There are going to be different versions of this file, one for 32-bit, one for 64-bit, one for 32-bit SP1 and one for 64-bit SP1, you have no way of knowing what you're going to get.

Your computer sounds likes its got more serious issues anyway and it would be far more beneficial in all honesty just to back your data up and reload Windows and you'll get the correct version of the file you need.
  • stragglebod
    stragglebod Posts: 1,324 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 13 June 2019 at 9:36PM
    Options

Usually laptops have a 'visible' partition with your Windows installation and all your apps and data, plus a hidden partition with the factory reset info and a method to restore it.

Chances are when you added your SSD you only cloned the visible partition, so since the factory images isn't there the Assist button can't recover it.
    You need to keep some of the blaotware in order for re install
    That bloatware is a different matter entirely. Without the restore partition no amount of bloatware will get it back.
    Thanks everyone for your input. ..this is the video I used for the missing files. if the above doesent work I would like to try this again. when I get to putting the file into system 32 or the other one it asks for you to be administrator and wont let me do it. Do you know how I can ?

Thanks
    No! Don't be downloading DLLs from HonestWereNotHackers.com or wherever, at best it'll make no difference, at worst open up your computer to all kinds of attacks.
    When I try a new copy it says its already installed on laptop
    Huh, what do you mean 'try a new copy'? The installer should - after warning you- zap the existing installation. In fact, that's what I'd recommend: downloading the generic Windows 10 installer; it'll wipe the existing data and do a fresh install with your Windows 7 key (it's still a free upgrade) and automatically download and install all the drivers for the specific laptop hardware.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    I will try but I tried something similar and it didnt work.

Let me know the result. I had to guess that you had Windows Home Premium 64 bit installed.

If you do, check your PMs again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport