Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    pakman
    Re: Switching Gas - not piped by Transco
    • 1st Aug 03, 7:44 PM
    Re: Switching Gas - not piped by Transco 1st Aug 03 at 7:44 PM
    Original Post:-

Both here and at my previous address I have had problems switching gas supplier because my meter and pipes are not owned by Transco, but by a different gas carrier. This has meant delays and an increase in tarriffs from my new supplier stopping it being worth while trying to switch.

Has anyone else has this problem, and if so, who have you ended up changing to?

Also, I'm surprised the companies can get away with this, I would have thought it was against the competition rules. I contacted the watchdog about it but they didn't seem interested.

Any ideas??

Answer

If your MPR starts with a 74 then you are on an IPGT.

The MPR, is the Meter Point Reference, unique to each pipe that enters a property. An IPGT is an Independant Public Gas Transporter.

For a company to supply a Transco piped house they pay a fee, this makes up your normal charges. !But for them to supply the last length of the pipe via an IPGT they have to agree to the Transporters terms, and pay for the usage.

This means that as you say most don't think it's worth it and refuse, others i.e. Npower charge you an extra 30 a year for an IPGT site. !

Knock them we do, but British Gas take the charge them selves and you get the same price regardles of whether its Transco or an IPGT.

Remember that in an emegency it's always 0800 111 999 that you call. regardless of IPGT or Transco, or bill provider.

Who is UR IPGT ?
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

142Posts Today

1,965Users online

Martin's Twitter