Can you reclaim 'arranged' O/D charges?

Options
Hello everyone,

I am really sorry if this sounds like a very obvious question but I'll throw it out there.

I am currently on a DMP after many years battling to pay my debts.

My question is this though - I had an arranged overdraft with my bank and I was constantly using it over the many years I was struggling to pay off my debts. Am I entitled to claim back any of the charges I incurred over this time to help pay off some of my debt or does this only apply to 'unauthorised' overdraft fees?

Many thanks in advance for any advice you can offer and apologies if it is an obvious question but I was unable to find an answer elsewhere.

creditcardnewbie :beer:

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No. But if you're in current financial hardship, you can ask if they can offer support.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You cannot complain about historical charges since the 2009 supreme court case win for the banks. You can ask for help with current financial hardship but this does not automatically mean a refund of charges
  • creditcardnewbie
    Options
    Hello zx81 and Nasqueron,

I thought as much but could not see a definitive answer anywhere on the articles I read.

Thank you for taking the time to answer - I really appreciate it.

Regards,

creditcardnewbie
  • StrugglingNurse
    Options
    I was going to ask the same, I pay £600 a year for being in my arranged o/d :(
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was going to ask the same, I pay £600 a year for being in my arranged o/d :(

Speak to the bank about a financial hardship case then, they may agree to a future charges freeze, a refund of some charges or assist with a debt management plan. Do remember that any financial hardship case will look at things like spending e.g. if you are eating out, have expensive contracts for mobile/sky and shop at high end stores they won't look favourably on a hardship case. Try and be as polite and helpful as possible, remember you want sympathy and aid, if you go in guns blazing and shouting about unfair charges they'll just refer you to the 2009 court case.

Post on the Debt Free Wannabe forum for budgeting help
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I pay £600 a year for being in my arranged o/d
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    Speak to the bank about a financial hardship case then,
    Paying £600 a year in charges does not automatically mean the OP is in (the Bank's definition of) financial hardship, of course. It could just indicate unnecessary spending on luxuries which the OP should simply cut back on.

As you say, a Statement Of Affairs ( SOA) posted on the Debt Free Wannabe forum will likely help the OP far more than any complaint about Bank charges...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure