BT 1471

Hello all, this is my first post so I hope it is in the right place and not been posted before, I have looked back and can't see anything so here goes

I have just called BT to pay my monthly bill and ask what are the call return fees that I have been charged?

Now I think I heard before that BT were thinking about changing this service so you had to pay, but that was about all I knew, I have been informed that the charge is now 6p every time you press 3 to return the call and the cost of the call on top!!

What I would like to know is why don't they tell you that you are going to be charged for this, when you use the ringback service if the number is engaged they tell you there is going to be a charge (I don't use this simply for this reason).

As I have the option 3 on my phone which means that all normal dial codes are free for the first hour my friends and family numbers are now not doing their job, so I asked could I change some of the numbers to national rate ones? this was not allowed but I was able to change all my friends and family numbers to mobile numbers which will give me a saving of 20% for my best frined and 10% on all other's.

As most of my contact's now are on mobiles this will be quite a saving every month now for me, plus not using the 1471 - 3 will again reduce the bill.

I hope this will save you as well

Maria

Comments

• gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,630 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Hello all, this is my first post so I hope it is in the right place and not been posted before, I have looked back and can't see anything so here goes

I have just called BT to pay my monthly bill and ask what are the call return fees that I have been charged?

Now I think I heard before that BT were thinking about changing this service so you had to pay, but that was about all I knew, I have been informed that the charge is now 6p every time you press 3 to return the call and the cost of the call on top!!

What I would like to know is why don't they tell you that you are going to be charged for this, when you use the ringback service if the number is engaged they tell you there is going to be a charge (I don't use this simply for this reason).

BT have been telling customers since April/May in the magazine that comes with the bills that there will be a call return charge since August.

Also, if you dial 1471 (which is still free - the charge is only for pressing 3) and listen to the number - afterwards it says "there may be a charge for this call"

If you subscribe to the "1471 Extra" Calling feature you are not charged the 6p fee
    As I have the option 3 on my phone which means that all normal dial codes are free for the first hour my friends and family numbers are now not doing their job, so I asked could I change some of the numbers to national rate ones? this was not allowed but I was able to change all my friends and family numbers to mobile numbers which will give me a saving of 20% for my best frined and 10% on all other's.

As most of my contact's now are on mobiles this will be quite a saving every month now for me, plus not using the 1471 - 3 will again reduce the bill.

Yes, only 01/02/0845, mobile and international numbers can be part of Friends and Family - 0870 numbers are excluded.

However, I note that you say you are on BT Option 3.

Have you considered changing to TalkTalk for free evening and weekend calls (+ you get £10 - see my signature) and then use 18866/1899 for your daytime and mobile calls.

Combine the above with changing to BT Option 1 and you will save a lot of money...

Regards
    Sunil
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family