PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.

Comments

• Only in the second week of my 5 week challenge this month and have blown half my budget already!!

Decided to go to Lidl for a bit of a change from Mr T this weekend and it turns out Lidl are a lot more expensive than they used to be! A lot of the stuff on my list I could get cheaper in tesco so I ended up buying stuff that wasn't on my list (dangerous I know!) So ended up spending about £9 (but did stock up on some things that were cheaper there).
    I ended up going to Mr T for the rest of the stuff and spent £17!!!!!!!! But my shampoo was on offer so I stocked up on that too.
    Big initial spend but hopefully this will mean I won't have to spend so much in the next few weeks.

Was horrified at the price of milk in Mr T now! But bought "fresh n lo" as it was on offer at £1.06 for 2l.

Oh also bought bread mix for the first time so I'll be sure and post my results when I get around to making it!
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    jackie_w wrote: »
    Hi everyone, ...................

Im looking for ideas on stuff for giving out to the kids at Halloween. I always end up spending a fortune, and was wondering what everyone else does. Cant have any nuts in the house, as DS#2 is allergic to them. ............

Jackie

Hi Jackie...wondered if you could buy some 500g/kilo bags of value dried fruit & transfer small amounts into clingfilm pouches. Those could then be wrapped in black crepe & tied with orange ribbons to dress them up a bit.
    Or what about making up some shortcrust pastry with a bit of cinnamon or mixed spice to add flavour :rolleyes: You can then cut out 'ghosts' & vampire bats to decorate with glace icing & currants once baked. I think the food colourings are still at really good prices so black icing would be real wicked :p Could always make your own templates from the side of a cereal packet if you don't fancy 'free-styling'.
    Then again, just make up huge quantities of Twinks, Millies & other simple cookies & make them a lot smaller...Just a few musings from an easily-excited mind :D
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• DS managed to knock the big casserole dish full of lovely spicy sausage and pepper casserole out of the fridge smashing it.I have lost 2 dinners and a dish which I have to replace as it was my only big cooking dish and I am on a much reduced budget this month so its going to hurt.
    Oh well,I am getting better at making something out of nothing.Last night we had a lovely bolognese made with a little leftover minced quorn and a bit of minced beef(I didnt have enough of either to make a meal).For the sauce I used tins of value toms,mixed herbs and a bit more basil,garlic,carrots,celery and red wine.Had it on value spaghetti.It was beautiful.

HALLOW,EEN FOOD IDEAS
    Last year I got lovely satsumas and drew a jack,o,lantern face on them with a black marker.They look great.I also give the kids very shiny(I polish them with a dry napkin)red apples and tell them they are poisoned apples specially prepared by a wicked witch.Another idea is to put black icing on little cup cakes,and top with a jelly filled bug sweet.They look totally disgusting so the kids love them.Warning!One year a very greedy little boy who attended my sons halloween party ate way too many of the black iced bug cakes and had blue poos for a week because of the food dye:D .
    "Reaching out to touch the stars dont forget the flowers at your feet".
  • Hiya guys,

I'm still at a no go re the shops and am on my 6th NSD, trying to use stores and empty the freezer(which I've been trying to do for ages,) but you know how it is, take 1 thing out to cook with put 2 or 3 meals back in, doh( I shouldn't complain but I NEED to defrost it doh:rolleyes:

We're having some odd combinations sometimes but haven't killed anyone so far:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Glad your staying Orkney, will go back and catch up on posts now, have fun and look after yourselves guys

HWGA xx
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
  • taffy1969
    taffy1969 Posts: 372 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just updating - I got to the shops! Went to MrS as traffic wasn't too bad going into town. Spent £44.37 quite pleased with this. Couldn't spend too long in there as had to pick DD's up so may make this a weekly thing, do list and go on way to school. Did my weekly shopping in the 'free half hour parking' time. Not spent much this month so far but it does make a difference that DH went offshore on fri and won't be back till the 20th!
    Need to sort my life out! :T
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Keep thinking about a Remoska but £ to € conversion and postage would make it about twice the price of an halogen oven...does anyone have one of those and what is your opinion of them.

Bought meat to-day for €30 but OH paid for it as he is feeling flush having spent no money for the two weeks he was in hospital, so no cost to me!!

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Hi there

Just a quick one to say -hubby has just called to say my second remoska (the free one:p ) has just arrived in his office :j ..oohh exciting :j

Anyway - I have made hubbies cream of tomato n lentil soup -the bread is proving in the remoska, and I'm just about to make the cornedbeef hash :D

Herewegoagain - thats just like me..take 1 thing out -make something and have to try and get twice as much back into the same gap :p

..im going again now :D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • Well done you, sounds like you are on a roll. I must admit, I like the 'feed a family...' promotion. I know we could all do it on here with what we have learned, or have been doing forever, but I think it raises awareness and makes people think about what they are spending or eating, so is very worthwhile.

Don't forget, a lot of people out there don't have access to this site and spend a fortune on food - takeaways, readymeals, and general blandness if home cooking, but I think this brings cooking home meals as a good thing to everyone, plus gives some good ideas (I love the sausages and roasted veggies - just adjust to suit) but must agree, like you, I love it when I can make it for less than a £5... I do feel smug then...:D

Oh I know, trust me I am not having a go at Jamie personally (I rather like him :o). He is contracted to Sainsburys and is just doing his job. Yes, I agree that any kind of advertising bringing home the message about home cooking is a good one. My heart went out to the people on his programme last week who had financial problems. I do hope Jamie wasnt taking them all to Sainsburys to get their shopping - maybe he has to.... :confused:

I get frustrated about the silliest of things sometimes - the injustices in the world that I cant control - like not everyone having access to MSE! :rolleyes:
    If I had a pound for every...... oh sod it, if I just had a pound I'd be richer!
  • patentgirl
    patentgirl Posts: 1,028 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Afternoon everyone

havent been on here awhile to update but kept it all written down have got to add on to total £39.90 at farm foods and £44.69 at aldis really stocked up for once you open my larder and it is full to the brim.
    Mrs MCAWBER I am so tempted on getting a remoska will have to take the plunge soon I think. had a quite a few NSDs this month all going well so far (famous last words)
    Frugal challenge 2024

• dink1
    dink1 Posts: 197 Forumite
    HI Guys

ooooppppssss! just been shopping today and spent most of the budget, sill the freezers are full and cupboards bursting. I just need to plan the meals now. Only he fresh F+V n milk left to get so stand a small chance of staying in budget!?!?!?!?!
    JanGC £250/£82 far:weight loss 1lb cc250/£86/cm40/£9.50 :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport