PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Comments

• Only happened a couple of times and the whole site lost a cash crop that had a high resale value, I don't know of many local sites that it hasn't happened to at one time or another and it's only things that will make the thieves a quick sale and quite a profit. It's a calculation you must take into account in this day and age when you decide to take on an allotment even one with a security fence and padlocked gate!
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Yes we have some woodland near here which is a site of Special Scientific Interest and famed for it wide variety of fungi yet these are being plundered every autumn by hoatdes of early morning non native gatherers who descend and take whatever they can find. The few wardens can't be everywhere and some have even been threatened with physical violence when they try to remonstrate and explain the special nature of the site. The gatherers just don,t care.

It,s sad because we have a special culture in this country of trying to protect the varying special species of our heritage and people don,t seem to understand that once some of them die out they are lost for ever.

One thing's for sure, unless we have rain soon and a damp autumn there won't be any fungi to forage for and raid this autumn!
  • Hopeless_Case
    Hopeless_Case Posts: 949 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    edited 23 July 2018 at 1:11PM
    I have been following but haven't posted.

As others have said, we don't know what happen. I'm sure some-one will shout at me for saying this but in some ways I think some good may come from this.
    In the area I live, we regularly hear the fruit growers and farmers saying when we leave next year the crops will rot in the fields as they won't have the eu workers they need.
    My area is classed as a deprived area with above average unemployment. So why aren't our people working?

We will need all the food our farmers produce, we can't afford to let it waste.
    We should stop wasting food, just because a carrot isn't the right shape doesn't mean it isn't good. So much food is ploughed back into the ground. We may be OS but many people buy too much food and waste it, maybe higher prices will make us buy what we need.

When i was a teenager I picked fruit in the summer holidays to earn money, when I was 14 my mum would drop me and my sister at a farm and we would work all day, it was hard work but we had the radio on and it was great watching the cash stack up. I think the teenager labour force has more or less gone, children are so much younger these days (in some ways!) and I know a lot of people are reluctant to let their 14 year olds go out alone at all let alone be left in a field miles from home with strange adults. Plus my mum picked crops in the holidays as a student and you don't often hear of students doing that now.
    The other thing is the picking was managed by travellers who arrived at the farms to pick a certain crop and managed the whole thing (and gave us our cash for each full load) - I guess they no longer do this work either?

Local people might not want to do the job for the money offered, but are consumers prepared to pay the price for the fruit to pay them the amount they want? And wouldn't we just be outpriced (undercut I mean) by imported fruit?

Plus as an employer, I'd certainly be reluctant to employ someone who wasn't used to even having to get out of bed early, let alone work hard or obey instructions

What I'm trying to say is that people instinctively look for the easiest option and the cheapest one, so the idea of Brexit reversing the ills of society and making us healthier and harder working sounds lovely but in practice isn't likely to happen- not saying it's all doom and gloom, but if they can't find the workers, in practice we'd likely just end up importing more fruit
  • It won't happen in the short term because as you say the world and peoples perceptions have changed however if not working meant you were only able to obtain a subsistence level living allowance and perhaps that might mean not having all the 'nice things' that you've been used to, maybe when the resentment had died down and people had time to think they wouldn't be so reluctant to do some hard work for their own benefit.
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Every society has those that will shirk work, but on the whole most giving the opportunity relish in it, my lads have been bailing the last few weeks,
    Each year they come home shattered and sore and swear they will never do it again, but when the call comes out from the smallholder each year they are there soreness forgotton, its only been the second year our youngest has been able to participate the paperwork and bylaws for children working are not worth the hassle nowadays.
    Our generation also grew up when picking the spring daffodils and soft fruit was almost a right of passage thats been removed for the generations that followed but it was our generation and above that allowed this to happen, we reap what we sow.

Oddly my son an I had a funny conversation where my view is the EU would work well as long as nobody over the age of 35 was involved in it. the majority of older people are too set in a monetary system mindset for it ever to work well.
    The whole EU thing has actual served well as a massive distraction to the fact the large scale weather cycles like we are currently in effect 2/3rds of the worlds harvest, there will be shortages like we saw in January with the Spanish crops failing regardless if we are in the EU or not.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    we can blame the mini ice age for the wild swings in weather.

Interesting that among young adults, experience counts for nothing much. It is quite a despairing scenario tbh and fills me with dread, if the young, recently adult generation with their mickey mouse degrees, came to rule, then what?. They will have a few years under their belt so no doubt think they know it all. Having grown up with the benefits safety net, who can blame them, they have never had to rough it, knowing that the state will catch them if they play their cards right

I remember me and my sister going out on the bus and looking for fruit picking work, was an excellent way to earn extra money, back breaking but we never expected anything else and were glad to earn it. Different culture then, nothing was handed to us on a plate. I cannot see the likes of owen jones encouraging his generation to go and pick fruit
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    edited 23 July 2018 at 3:11PM
    kittie wrote: »

. I cannot see the likes of owen jones encouraging his generation to go and pick fruit

Then on the other hand you have Adam Pike and Michael Harris.
    Im sure that every generation has bemoaned the laziness of the one after especially as technology has advanced. but in fairness each generation has to take a portion of the blame if skills have been lost its because they were never taught.
  • My two youngest are in their 20s. I find they and their friends are very hard working, all have good degrees and good jobs. One has bought their first house and the other is looking as we speak (type?) and their friends all seem very similar.

My two worked hard during their A Levels, one did a 30 hr week in a customer service role the other did 24 hrs per week in a care home. They both went to uni with enough to live for the first year.
  • You're talking about kids with ability who have already proven their ability to knuckle down and work as hard as it takes to get their A levels and complete their degree courses, hats off to them, they are already a success. The ones who will be hit hardest are those who haven't taken advantage of the education available for whatever reason that may have been, who have left school with very few of no skills at all and haven't been able to get a foot on the job ladder. Many of them will have families who are and have been in the same situation all their lives so they will have no concept of 'going out a days hard work' and that is going to come as an awfully big shock. Having said that they are the ones who will probably, once they understand that the support from the state is e not going to be as good as it has been up to now, get on with life and do those jobs, who knows they may even get to enjoy them. We'll all need to do a rethink and life will inevitably change for all of us, how is unpredictable but it doesn't feel as though it will be for the better does it?
  • You're talking about kids with ability who have already proven their ability to knuckle down and work as hard as it takes to get their A levels and complete their degree courses, hats off to them, they are already a success. The ones who will be hit hardest are those who haven't taken advantage of the education available for whatever reason that may have been, who have left school with very few of no skills at all and haven't been able to get a foot on the job ladder. Many of them will have families who are and have been in the same situation all their lives so they will have no concept of 'going out a days hard work' and that is going to come as an awfully big shock. Having said that they are the ones who will probably, once they understand that the support from the state is e not going to be as good as it has been up to now, get on with life and do those jobs, who knows they may even get to enjoy them. We'll all need to do a rethink and life will inevitably change for all of us, how is unpredictable but it doesn't feel as though it will be for the better does it?

I agree but it isn't fair to lump them all in together, plenty of young people are hard working.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback