Ebay holding my money when i sell

Does anyone know what my rights are as a seller with Ebay holding the money i receive from selling item on there? I have been selling on there for years but all of a sudden they have been holding the money for up to 21 days and telling me that in order to have the money released i need to post the item on the day the buyer pays. I don't sell much on there and i haven't got much money so i need the money for the postage to post the item. I have explained this to them and they tell me this is the policy they have always had. They have released the money from two items they say out of courtesy because i explained the situation but they are still holding the money for every item i sell. What are my rights with this? Can they hold my money for this long? Thanks.

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    AmyL wrote: »
    Does anyone know what my rights are as a seller with Ebay holding the money i receive from selling item on there? I have been selling on there for years but all of a sudden they have been holding the money for up to 21 days and telling me that in order to have the money released i need to post the item on the day the buyer pays. I don't sell much on there and i haven't got much money so i need the money for the postage to post the item. I have explained this to them and they tell me this is the policy they have always had. They have released the money from two items they say out of courtesy because i explained the situation but they are still holding the money for every item i sell. What are my rights with this? Can they hold my money for this long? Thanks.

You are entitled to your money within the time frames outlined within paypal terms and conditions. That allows for a standard 21 day hold for new or low volume sellers, or sellers who have suddenly started selling in a high risk category, or have any 'issues' with their account. The 21 day hold is quite usual in the circumstances outlined.

Paypal can hold up to 180 days in cases where fraud or misuse is suspected, but that does not appear to be the case here.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As Soolin has advised this can be standard for new or infrequent sellers, unfortunately.
    Make sure you always upload the tracking details against the sales record as soon as the item is sent, this can help move things along IME.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    What are my rights with this? Can they hold my money for this long? Thanks.
    I think it's generally accepted that it's within their terms and conditions and within the law to do so. To contest it legally would take a lot longer than the 21 days which is probably why no one has ever bothered.

You can either carry on selling with the holds and to expedite it use a tracked shipping service. If you log in the tracking details the funds are usually released shortly after signed for delivery. The 21 day hold tends to drop off after about 30 days. If you want to continue selling on Ebay you could try just selling a few small value items and despatching them on the same or next day with first class or a tracked post.
  • AmyL
    AmyL Posts: 22 Forumite
    So the simple answer is they can do what they like even if it isn't fair or logical. If i don't have the money i can't post the item!
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    So the simple answer is they can do what they like even if it isn't fair or logical. If i don't have the money i can't post the item!

If you use ebay or paypal postage then they allow you to use the money in the account to pay postage. If you don't ship then you will get late defects and a warning and may even become 'a risk' and get your money held for longer.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary

You have to post the item to get the funds released. If you don't then you will find your ebay account will have adverse marks on it and Paypal may consider further restrictions.
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker

No, the simple answer is they can do what is clearly stated in their terms and conditions, that you agreed to when you set up your account.

Ebay is a scammers paradise. This set up for new / infrequent sellers is perfectly sensible.

If you really don’t have £3 spare for postage then I would wait 180 days before you spend the money from the sale, as the buyer has until then to open a not as described case and return it to you for a full refund.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure