Who's invested in Cryptocurrency

Hi, I'm a member of many Facebook groups but wanted to see how many UK people here have invested in Cryptocurrency? Have you managed to make a profit? Have you spent any of your profit?

I've been investing for several months now and In 2018 i'm hoping that my investments make me a millionaire due to the amount of holdings I have.

Comments

• jennyjj
    jennyjj Posts: 346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    In 2018 i'm hoping that my investments make me a millionaire due to the amount of holdings I have.
    Good luck with that.

FYI I hold about £3k in bitcoin derivatives within my Sipp.

But it WILL crash
  • robpw2
    robpw2 Posts: 14,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i invested £10 only because i cant afford the current rates but i thought it would be interesting to see if i can make any money the day after bit coin fell by 30% suffering a huge loss .. so i doubt im going to be a millionaire any time soon but i am interested to see if i can make a couple of quid

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
  • I'm in,

Hold a couple hundred XRP, ADA, XLM and TRX. Along with around 400 IOTA. Picked up a Litecoin in the latest dip @£175.

Discussed various Crypto currencies with guys I work with, spent around 3-4 weeks reading about various projects whilst waiting the price go up on nearly all of them on a daily basis so took the plunge. I have only invested in an amount of money I can walk away from. It is very addictive and can see many people getting burnt on putting more and more fiat in.

My main objective with a lot of the coins is to hold medium to long term as I believe the projects behind them could flower into something actually relevant. Though have made a few hundred USD on trading NEO and XVG recently.

You must hold a fair amount to be on your way to 1 million congrats!
  • I purchased Bitcoin (ages ago) and Ethereum and Litecoin (both last summer). I have absolutely *not* invested in it and anyone who thinks it is an investment is insane.

I haven’t sold any yet but do have an exit strategy- hopefully will be selling some Bitcoin in a few months.
    Hmmmm, need new siggie :cool:
  • ChesterDog
    ChesterDog Posts: 1,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I have a Bitcoin.

It's worth about three or four times what it was when I bought it.

I bought it on the understanding that I expect it to become almost worthless, but that if it doesn't then it could be a fruitful gamble.

If it rises to five times what I paid for it, then I intend to convert a fifth back into sterling to recover my initial stake.

If it falls to zero even from quite a high value, it will make little difference to me financially. Well, almost none really.

I have lots of investments. This isn't one. This is just an interesting game.
    I am one of the Dogs of the Index.
  • Naf
    Naf Posts: 3,160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Over the past 18 months I've made quite a bit of profit (% wise) from Bitcoin. I purchased £100 worth, spent £90 across 12 months, and had £120 left at the end. That grew to around £800 before I withdrew £500 to invest in IOTA instead. I received another £150 from some BTC at launch, and $90. The value had climbed further but then dropped again before I took the rest out.

I now have $1,000 in IOTA.

I'm tinkering with it and trying to keep making some profit from simple buy low sell high. So far I manage to make the odd $10 here and there, but I'm getting better hahaha.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    - Mark Twain
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
  • Zoea
    Zoea Posts: 38 Forumite
    edited 27 December 2017 at 10:28PM
    I'm in,

Hold a couple hundred XRP, ADA, XLM and TRX. Along with around 400 IOTA. Picked up a Litecoin in the latest dip @£175.

Discussed various Crypto currencies with guys I work with, spent around 3-4 weeks reading about various projects whilst waiting the price go up on nearly all of them on a daily basis so took the plunge. I have only invested in an amount of money I can walk away from. It is very addictive and can see many people getting burnt on putting more and more fiat in.

My main objective with a lot of the coins is to hold medium to long term as I believe the projects behind them could flower into something actually relevant. Though have made a few hundred USD on trading NEO and XVG recently.

You must hold a fair amount to be on your way to 1 million congrats!

Wow sir you are doing it right!
    I'm holding mainly ADA XLM and a touch of ETH I'm not really in this for the money (like you would rather support actually good / progressives projects) but I put in just over 3k and it's now about 7k which is ok for under 20 days lol.

But sure it's a big bubble and quantum computing is about to come launnch a big nuke on all this so be warned. Still, it's cool for now, and some algos will likely come thru.
  • Zoea wrote: »
    Wow sir you are doing it right!
    I'm holding mainly ADA XLM and a touch of ETH I'm not really in this for the money (like you would rather support actually good / progressives projects) but I put in just over 3k and it's now about 7k which is ok for under 20 days lol.

But sure it's a big bubble and quantum computing is about to come launnch a big nuke on all this so be warned. Still, it's cool for now, and some algos will likely come thru.

Who knows! But it's certainly funny reading one of the other threads regarding Bitcoin, containing posts from 2011-2013 with people laughing at the $10 sellers when it was worth $40. Posts from couple of years on with people laughing at the $40 sellers when it was worth $100's! I could read this in 5 years time with an enjoyable return, or I could read this laughing at how it never came to anything.
  • darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm using Coinbase myself, but interested in getting some XRP (Which Coinbase don't offer yet). What other platforms offer this with reasonable fees ?
  • You can buy XRP on eToro. Haven't used it myself, but it seems the most straightforward way without getting in exchanges like Binance or Bitfinex.
    Nationwide Mortgage (FTB & 85% LTV)

Timeline:
    Application submitted 8/10
    Valuation scheduled on 10/10 for 19/10
    Valuation re-scheduled on 19/10 for 26/10
    Hard Credit Check (Credit Karma) 21/10
    Valuation 26/10
    Valuation approved 26/10
    Mortgage offer issued 27/10
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories