Giants causeway

13»

Comments

• Either you think it's worth paying towards the upkeep of our heritage or you don't. But if you don't think it's worth paying for then why are you visiting it? I know that's putting it a bit provocatively but the NT aren't charging because there are private shareholders getting a cut, they are doing a good job in maintaining our culture and heritage and into the bargain are attracting money into Northern Ireland by making such a good offer to tourists. It's reasonable to question the costs but I'm not sure 'exploiting the causeway' is the way I'd put it. Nor would I be comfortable being unpleasant to NT staff who are just doing their jobs.

Fully agree, from NI myself and its worth it. They charge ridiculous things in other parts of the UK for absolute nonsense like castles which are everywhere.

If you don't like it then exactly don't go.
    "All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered, the point is to discover them."

• Ticked
    Ticked Posts: 515 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    The previous facilities at the GC were, frankly, disgusting, and I was one of many who campaigned for an upgrade. However, I don't like the new visitor centre, it looks like a crematorium and has little of interest inside, an overpriced shop and cafe, toilets, and a lot of round bouncing objects about Finn McCool. A much more low key visitor centre, styled in keeping with the area, would have been preferable and probably a lot cheaper. There's no capital cost for the stones, and path upkeep is probably minimal. As an NT member I don't pay for access, if I had to pay I'd reckon I was ripped off, and it's likely that many foreign visitors feel that way. Flatten it, build a decent toilet block, car park the rest and charge £5 per car. Everyone happy (well the visitors anyway, and they are the ones who matter) and money coming in. Problem solved.
  • Sorry to resurrect this thread but having searched this forum for tips on visiting the Giants Causeway I found it useful and thought I'd update with my experience from a couple of days ago.

We parked in the Giants Causeway and Bushmills Heritage Railway car park which is brown signposted right by the Causeway for £6 all day parking. There is a short (3-5 minute) walk up hill to the National Trust visitor centre and their car park. There is an archway against the rear wall of the car park (to the right of the Visitor Centre) and you can walk through there to gain free access to the Causeway. Please note that you can't drive through this archway.

During the Visitor Centre opening hours there is a bus that can take you down to the Causeway for £1/£1.30 each way. The road down is relatively steep but tarmaced and perfectly suitable to walk down/up. I wouldn't fancy pushing a wheelchair down though (they can go on the bus I believe).

Once at the Causeway during the Visitor Centre opening hours there are members of staff positioned at various places on the stones in high-vis jackets who are very knowledgeable about the area. They are also there for safety reasons as the stones can be slippery.

It is a lovely place to visit and I would recommend it. We only paid the £6 parking fee at the railway station and were happy to go back there afterwards to purchase drinks and use their toilets situated on the platform. The trains weren't running due to maintenance but the station is very much open for parking and so is the "cafe".

Thanks for the advice on here it helped make a few hours more affordable.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Either you think it's worth paying towards the upkeep of our heritage or you don't. But if you don't think it's worth paying for then why are you visiting it? I know that's putting it a bit provocatively but the NT aren't charging because there are private shareholders getting a cut, they are doing a good job in maintaining our culture and heritage and into the bargain are attracting money into Northern Ireland by making such a good offer to tourists. It's reasonable to question the costs but I'm not sure 'exploiting the causeway' is the way I'd put it. Nor would I be comfortable being unpleasant to NT staff who are just doing their jobs.

Another thread resurrection on this one but thought i'd comment as we were there last Saturday.

I'm in agreement with your post. Also its worth noting that all the money raised doesnt just fund the GC but it also funds other National Trust activities that are maybe less popular which perhaps they otherwise couldnt do.

We booked our tickets online and got them for £10 instead of £11.50. Weirdly, that doesnt actually get you the tickets, you still have to queue, but thats a minor aside.

We thought it was great value. The facilities are much improved, parking was great and well supervised and the new visitors centre is a dream compared to what was there before. Its a world class attraction and deserves the visitors centre and facilities it now has.

We had sandwiches and two soft drinks in the cafe - they were tasty and not overly expensive. The cafe was well stocked and the food generally was decent.

We walked down to the Causeway itself - the bus was running but we didnt find it necessary - then walked on round and back by the clifftops.

Well worth the tenner each - even if part of that was no doubt to cover those who are happy to use the site but chose not to help pay for its upkeep. ;)
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,091 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I went there as part of a coach tour on Bank Holiday Sunday. It was heaving and the bus service up and down the hill couldn't hope - but I suspect that many other places were very popular that weekend and had similar issues.

The visitor centre I found supherb and something that NI could be proud off - vert typical NT for prices.

My first visit to NI - wonderful accommodation and food - marvellous scenery

Life would be impossible if Brexit introduces boarder controls.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • motorguy
    Robin9 wrote: »
    I went there as part of a coach tour on Bank Holiday Sunday. It was heaving and the bus service up and down the hill couldn't hope - but I suspect that many other places were very popular that weekend and had similar issues.

Thats a bit of a phenomenon - bank holiday weekends tourist attractions and the likes of Portrush are bunged. Go the previous or following weekend and they're usually close to empty.
  • Tammykitty
    Tammykitty Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    motorguy wrote: »
    Another thread resurrection on this one but thought i'd comment as we were there last Saturday.

I'm in agreement with your post. Also its worth noting that all the money raised doesnt just fund the GC but it also funds other National Trust activities that are maybe less popular which perhaps they otherwise couldnt do.

We booked our tickets online and got them for £10 instead of £11.50. Weirdly, that doesnt actually get you the tickets, you still have to queue, but thats a minor aside.

We thought it was great value. The facilities are much improved, parking was great and well supervised and the new visitors centre is a dream compared to what was there before. Its a world class attraction and deserves the visitors centre and facilities it now has.

We had sandwiches and two soft drinks in the cafe - they were tasty and not overly expensive. The cafe was well stocked and the food generally was decent.

We walked down to the Causeway itself - the bus was running but we didnt find it necessary - then walked on round and back by the clifftops.

Well worth the tenner each - even if part of that was no doubt to cover those who are happy to use the site but chose not to help pay for its upkeep. ;)

Happy to pay a bit towards the upkeep the site - but not over £40 for 4 adults visiting

I am actually a national trust member now, so obviously doesn't bother me now.

The last time I went we parked in Bushmills and got the tram/train up and walked down and it was lovely - and far better value for money!
  • motorguy
    edited 18 May 2018 at 1:04PM
    Tammykitty wrote: »
    Happy to pay a bit towards the upkeep the site - but not over £40 for 4 adults visiting

I am actually a national trust member now, so obviously doesn't bother me now.

As a National Trust member then, i'm sure you know that the entrance fee not only goes towards the upkeep of the site, but also the facilities, staff and all the work that the National Trust do, not just there. I read some of the money helps keep less popular but as important sites maintained too.

And ironically, ifeveryone did pay rather than some evade it, then it wouldnt be £10 each. ;)

I think it compares well with other attractions throughout the UK, and in terms of entertainment costs or a day out it compares favourably with even going to the cinema. I notice 4 people wanting to see a movie in Belfast would pay £37.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure